• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Intermediate VS. High Performance 3M vinyl

steelskinz

Ive got a customer that wants 200 one color decals about 24"x24". They are going on a kiosk inside of hospitals. He said he wanted "Top Quality" material that will last about 10 years. Could i use the 3M scotchcal 50 series seeing as how its going to be indoors or should i go with the High performance 3M vinyl. I figured i would be safe with the 50 series because its not going to be exposed to any of the elements.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
220 without a doubt.
As in a previous post we had the opportunity to re-letter a client's bobtail truck's back door after he had it painted. We all commented the eight year old material on the side still looked very good compared to the brand new on the rear.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
what are the kiosk's made of? are they smooth?? if they have a texture, you may have a problem with the 220 sticking properly....

with an order of that size, i would go to the location and test out the vinyl to see which has better adhesion...

i just some 220 decals for a customer to "label" is rental equipment with....he called back after trying to apply the decals because half of the decal wasn't sticking....we went to his location and tried it....turns out the 220 wouldn't stick to the metal of the equipment, but gerber's quantum stuck perfectly....

steelskinz

the kiosks are a smooth painted surface.

What is the 220 material?? The only solid color vinyl ive used from 3M is the scothcal 50 series and the 7125 High Performance vinyl.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
220 is high performance vinyl....i would still test whatever material you're planning on using before making that many decals....

Malkin

the kiosks are a smooth painted surface.

What is the 220 material?? The only solid color vinyl ive used from 3M is the scothcal 50 series and the 7125 High Performance vinyl.

220 is the same films as 7125 with a slightly different adhesive, and branded by Gerber. There is not a significant difference.

Letterbox Mike

Just to throw it out there, I've been less than impressed with the Series 50 calendered vinyl. We've tried it on and off since it came out a while back but I've seen some really permature failures with it and the quality seems very inconsistent. I think out of 50 or so rolls of it we've used I've probably had to return 7 or 8 because the surface is so badly mottled it's not presentable looking or the thickness was so inconsistent it was impossible to cut. I finally gave up on it.

splizaat

I hate to say it but does this customer plan on being in business using the same kiosk for 10 years? I have reason to believe even a 7 year vinyl will last 10 if it's only indoors...You can't guarantee 10 years or ANY number of years on the vinyl for that matter, so don't beat yourself up over which vinyl to use...use whatever you normally do and be done with it...

Just my opinion!

splizaat

Why would you want a decal to last 10 yrs anyways. Just asking.

EXACTLY....there has to be a point where the customer has to come back and get things redone or changed...if it lasts 10+ years, you just essentially lost a customer for 10 years....and by then they won't remember who they got them done by in the first place.