• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interpass Delay - When to use it and why

AKwrapguy

So my co-worker has a hard on about using the interpass delay feature on our HP 570's. The bulk of what we print on is 3M IJ180Cv3, 680 CR and 13oz banner. He keeps on wanting to tweak my profiles to add an interpass delay, in his mind this would mean that you could lower the temperature as it would have longer dwell time in the curing zone.

Does anyone use the interpass delay, if so why and what materials do you use it with?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Interpass delay is useful for alot of things involving curing. It helps in lowering heat on materials that cant handle the saturation of higher passes or the higher heat of lower passes. We use interpass delay when we run vinyls at 2 and 4 pass and banners at 4 and 6 pass.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
It also means taking longer to print. I would only do this if you maxed out on your temp for your material and adding a delay would be less time than adding passes. Personally when I have problems with something curing and maxed out on temp I just add more passes. But if you're not having curing issues there isn't any point in adding it unless you just want to add more time to production.

AKwrapguy

It also means taking longer to print. I would only do this if you maxed out on your temp for your material and adding a delay would be less time than adding passes. Personally when I have problems with something curing and maxed out on temp I just add more passes. But if you're not having curing issues there isn't any point in adding it unless you just want to add more time to production.

This was my though as well.

dypinc

First off it will not affect your output profiles at all. It is only a media preset setting.

Where I find it most usefully is when printing in CMYKcm mode with passes set less that 12, if a lot of the lc/lm ink are being laid down raising it will help prevent ink starvation, since there is only one lc/lm printhead. This is something that has been thoroughly discussed in these forums in the past. Using inter-pass delay you can raise it higher for these kind of situations and lower it again where you not using lots of lc/lm inks instead of having to make new presets and output profiles for the same media just to avoid lc/lm ink starvation.

Last edited:

Asuma01

There is no reason to add interpass delay unless your ink is not curing properly. Even then it would be one of the last settings I would use. Only after I had tried other methods first. Because it slows down printing significantly.

AF

Single pass, inter pass delay, higher pass count. Depends what you are trying to fix.

nate

There is no reason to add interpass delay unless your ink is not curing properly.

Dynpic has one of the best reasons to use it. With only one head for light inks the machine is prone to ink starvation. The inter pass delay allows things to catch up.

AKwrapguy

First off it will not affect your output profiles at all. It is only a media preset setting.

Where I find it most usefully is when printing in CMYKcm mode with passes set less that 12, if a lot of the lc/lm ink are being laid down raising it will help prevent ink starvation, since there is only one lc/lm printhead. This is something that has been thoroughly discussed in these forums in the past. Using inter-pass delay you can raise it higher for these kind of situations and lower it again where you not using lots of lc/lm inks instead of having to make new presets and output profiles for the same media just to avoid lc/lm ink starvation.

Interesting, so your saying that the HP570 has ink starvation issue with lc/lm inks when printing under 12 pass? Is this a know issue or more your own personal observation? You say it has been discussed in these forums but the only one I knew of was the issue with magenta which was corrected with firmware updates. Do have any links to these threads, I would like to read more on this... Thank you.