• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Intranet / Network - Worthwhile?

tommythesignguy

My computer repair person is setting me up with a service that costs me $6.00 per computer, per month. It allows me to not only access files from home/office and office/ home, but, actually control each computer remotely. Linda can actually do bookwork at home, updating files w/out coming in. Along with this, If I have a computer problem - he can actually work on my system from home or his laptop or office. Anyone else use this type of service?

choucove

Remote access is a wonderful features of Windows XP Pro and several Linux distros. We haven't implemented it at our shop yet, but it is one thing we will be working to get going when we put in our new file server. Since there aren't any real computer people around Northwest Kansas where the business is located who could rapidly take care of administrative needs should some problem arise, I can use the remote access ability from anywhere and be able to go try and fix problems.

I'm not 100% positive, but if you have Windows XP Professional on the computers to be remotely accessed, it shouldn't cost anything to enable and do. It's just a few settings to be turned on and presto you can log in to it.

Windows XP Remote Desktop

amw

My computer repair person is setting me up with a service that costs me $6.00 per computer, per month. It allows me to not only access files from home/office and office/ home, but, actually control each computer remotely. Linda can actually do bookwork at home, updating files w/out coming in. Along with this, If I have a computer problem - he can actually work on my system from home or his laptop or office. Anyone else use this type of service?

We do this, but not using a service. We can control any pc and get to any files on our network from anywhere there is an internet connection.

Its great, and $6 seams fair for someone else to "do the work" for you.

SignsRus

Dont understand why people pay anyone to setup a service like this.

They've made it soooo simple nowadays

www.logmein.com

Even their free software lets you add multiple pcs to one account. You can log into your account from any pc with internet access and a web browser, and control any pc on your account that is online atm.

Stop paying for free stuff!!!

D

DARLAK

that price seems steep. i use remote desktop access all the time and its right there on your computer already

ScottyDoo

Dont understand why people pay anyone to setup a service like this.

They've made it soooo simple nowadays

www.logmein.com

Even their free software lets you add multiple pcs to one account. You can log into your account from any pc with internet access and a web browser, and control any pc on your account that is online atm.

Stop paying for free stuff!!!

You don't even have to use a 3rd party service. There's a ton of free options...but you have to know how to do it on your own, which is the catch.

weaselboogie

that price seems steep. i use remote desktop access all the time and its right there on your computer already

.... If you have Xp PROFESSIONAL. One of my computers does not have it, so I had to go with Anywhere PC. I only use it across the network to do work on the other computer, like quickbooks (I only have 1 license, but can use it from any computer)

Craig Sjoquist

friend of mine does remote repairs has several accounts ... also his websites offer help ..plus my sandwich and work is on one of his pages

to me thats a great way for computer problems that do happen plus ya can do your work anywhere nice

git r dun

SignsRus

You don't even have to use a 3rd party service. There's a ton of free options...but you have to know how to do it on your own, which is the catch.

I know that! But with www.logmein.com they offer a free service, and you don't have to worry about port forwarding or anything. Long as that pc is online, and your at a pc with access you can log in, and access that pc. No remembering ip addy's =p