• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Introduction and Concerns from a newbie

Do-Over

I don't understand. I've never seen a forum like this where so many treat newcomers here like they are all wanna get rich quick, business stealin, this is an easy opportunity anybody can do business, lazy fool who wants to buy there way in. By the way... if thats what they are then...a spade is a spade...., but WE are not ALL like that. With that said, I'll introduce myself, as I have already met many of you by reading the forums.

I am a Financial and Computer person by trade and I've never made a sign in my life, but I've seen alot of them...lol. I have a BS in Commerce with degrees in Accounting and Decision Sciences. I was the youngest Corporate Financial Controller that Citicorp had (at time I was with them). I left that position to re-organize my Mothers Real Estate Business "Condo Mart" for sale and sold that Business for her. I then was left without work, took a year off and decided to start a property management business. By the Way, I knew nothing of this business, never worked in one or worked my way up to starting that business as so many of you say needs to be done (which is a great way but not my way). I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and had that business for 14 years Techno-Management Solutions, Inc.) without losing a contract (unheard of in property management if you know anything about it). Just proving that with persaveirence, commitment, doing what it takes to make it work, can make you successful. Its those that get the ingedients to make a business but dont work it that fail (for most part...i believe). I then went to work as the Director of Technology for a single owner of a chain of Foodtowns that involved updating financial and database systems, as well as purchase of any tech. equipment. I then went to work as the Executive Financial Analyst to the CFO for a 350 million dollar Perfume Mfg. Company Cosmetic Essence, Inc. I retired 4 (age 44) years ago, or should I say semi retired as was looking for something to do that I always wanted to. I moved to a rural area and now live on a little farm.

I have always been interested in the creative side brewing in side of me but never had the opportunity to utilize it with the positions I held. So I decided to buy a printer/plotter (Roland Versacamm 30") printer plotter, and Photoshop as well as a host of other things (after about 200 hours of research) to learn how to do what you seasoned guys do the best I can, which I understand may suck or may be great or anywhere in between. Although I have a business name (for tax purposes), I will not advertise for business for things I'm not capable of delivering (did not apply for sales tax certificate yet). I expect it will take me a year or more to become at the "beginning level" of an intermediate user of photoshop. But I think it will be fun getting there. I have no expectations of taking the $20K I spent on Equipment and supplies and opening a shop and saying I'm in business. Some say its stupid to do that way(buy equipment first) but at almost 49 now...I'm not gonna go make $8.00 an hour to learn the trade and be somebody's gopher.....I'm gonna make negative $100's and hour (in beginning) learning the trade and will only advertise for business I'm capable of delivering. If I can only laminate drivers licences....then so be it...thats the business I'll advertise for. The important thing to me is that I'm learning. If i'm not learning I feel trapped and this field seems to allow for a never-ending learning opportunity. The other thing is convenience. I prefer to learn at my own pace and convenience and through trial and error. I understand it would be easier learning in a sign shop at $8 dollars an hour, but its not convenient and I don't want to be under somebody's thumb at my age (maybe I'm a little proud too). After all I'm semi-retired and want to do things that I want to do. I would like to find a nitch in this field as I'm learning that I could conentrate on for income eventually. I don't want to be a "Sign" Shop that will do everything I just want a little nitch I could be come good at and make a few bucks after devoting the time, money, and energy to learning how to perfect that nitch. Again, without doing this, I'm not even sure I'll attain this...but its a goal.

Therfore, I'm not a wannabe yahoo who thinks they can buy their way into the business. Its a learning experience for me...and maybe 1 day I might be good enough to make a few bucks in a little corner nitch of this never ending industry. The last thing I want to do is build another full fledged business. So If I or anyone else asks a stupid question, it would seem an answer without the bashing would be appropriate unless there is an obvious history of "get somethin for nothin" questions.

I joined this forum to learn, but am hesitant to even ask a question based on some of the threads I've already read. I hope this changes because the non bashing threads are quite interesting.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I just couldn't sit back and read these threads without speaking my peace and am sorry this had to be my first post. I just think people ought to be respectful of others and their ideas, plans, and goals. After all, anyone of us in business didnt start the same way, Some didn't have written business plans, or other traditional expected ways to start. Some just did it. Some planned. Some got Lucky. Some were brought up in the business. Some bought business's or franchises. But all successful ones were "Worked" to the bone to get where they're at and where it's at will generally show how much it was "worked". IMHO...You get out of it...what you put into it!...and those who try and find the easy button or miracle income source in this business will weed themselves out just like in any other business that you dont bust your butt to make it work. Why waste time, breath, and energy on bashing those that think this is easy. Let em find out and help the ones that really need it.

Thanx for letting me rant, Hope I dont ask too many stupid ?'s.

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. To me there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. We all were new to the trade at one time.

Gordy Saunders

Very well put. Thanks for joining up. There is a lot of needless bashing on this forum. I've been at this for going on 37 years now and I keep my mouth shut most of the time on this forum because there are too many rocket scientist and brain surgeons hanging out posing as sign people. Hang in there, I'll keep my eye open for your posts.

Capital Signs

Wow, EXCELLENT post. I agree with you 110%. Good luck, and you will be successful. Keep your head up. You will learn wich posts to take seriously, others as a grain of salt, and others... Just to blow off...

PM Sent.

zoiko

You said it all yourself. And answered also why some are bashed..... it's all in the way you come on here. If most did it your way they would have no problems

rcook99

Do-over, Welcome from central NY about 1 1/2 hrs NW of you. Feel free to email or contact me anytime, I would be glad to help.

Thanks,
RCook

iSign

I guess some of the newbie bashing that you see comes down to a lack of respect being shown to others, whom the poster really knows little to nothing about. Instead of giving the benefit of the doubt, past posts, and past sins are coloring the comments & adding frustration, assumptions & generalizations into the comments, so you end up with newbies reading a newbie bashing and thinking... they're indirectly bashing me, but they don't know me, and they're making assumptions that are wrong, and that's insulting.

I think you have very succinctly made your case for the extraneous casualties of generalizations, assumptions & attacks on newbies by introducing yourself with this scathing flamefest against everyone who could ever help you from here forward.

I don't know if you have any artistic talent, but you are obviously pretty bright... so underneath the fact that my comments are not just another welcoming atta-boy pat on the back... I'm sure you will see the truth in my word & the irony in your post.

high impact

Welcome...BUT,

I don't see the bashing that so many are referencing constantly.

If you ask an honest question with some thought you will receive an honest answer with some thought. You are a bright guy so you will be just fine unless you start bashing the bashers. If everyone would just let the bashing go it will quickly disappear! :doh:

I'm thinking that I will quit responding to threads where anyone is bashing, bashing the bashers or being bashed. Quite ironic...huh? :banghead:

So should I post this comment or delete it? Am I bashing or not? Will it be taken out of context or do I even realize my own intent behind this post? :frustrated:

Hmmmm.....:Cool 2:

Seriously, it is what you make of it.

AND I'm sure there is a niche market for you BUT you may want to rethink your business model of laminating driver licenses...

R08

Some of what is called bashing is just the raw truth without the time to write a book about it.

Joe Diaz

Doug, you crack me up man. Nice use of vocab.

I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again: Just like in the real world, when has the rookie in any trade or industry ever deserved automatic respect? You have to earn it just like every one else before you. If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth while. Since every one was new at one time, they were most likely "bashed upon". Those of us strong enough to see the good advice amongst the sarcasm and bite, I believe, deserves to learn from it and become better for it. And this may sound harsh, but in my opinion if you are hesitant to ask questions because you are scared of how the answers will be given to you, maybe you don't deserve the answers???? My high school football coach used to say to me, "I wouldn't pick on you, if I didn't care.":ROFLMAO:

In my opinion, a pretty decent chunk of newb bashing has been uncalled for... probably just misunderstandings, maybe egos and tempers involved. But... there are also another rather large number of posts where I though the newb deserved the same lack of respect that he or she was showing. The fact that you shared some background with us I think shows that you respect us enough to share. I also admire the fact that you stand up for some of your peers.

Some of what is called bashing is just the raw truth without the time to write a book about it.
There is a lot of truth to that statement.