Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible Ink

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by RWPrint, Jun 27, 2019.

1. RWPrint

RWPrint New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    NH
    I got a request from a client:

"I thought it could be cool to have a map with an invisible printed layer that shows under a UV light perhaps.

Do printers do such things, or am I looking at coloring these regions in with some invisible markers?"

They want to do a map overlay showing a before and after. The after would show by flipping a switch, so to speak. Does anyone have a solution/idea on how to make this, aside of using markers?

Thanks in advance!

2. NP_18

NP_18 Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Texas

Look up Ricoh Invisible Red Toner. It prints clear but under a black light it glows red.

3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

If printing with a typical wide format printer that we have the only thing I can think of would be to do all of your main printing and then make a vinyl mask that is open only where you want the clear UV, apply that to the print and then paint the clear reactive UV ink on, let it dry and remove the vinyl mask. I did something like that years back and it worked great. Dont remember where I got the clear UV coating though - was someplace online. You can get it where it will glow different colors with a black light and even a clear glow in the dark type of coating.