• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ioline super 88

crafty1

I am new to the business and looking at purchasing a used Ioline super88 30" machine. It has been used for 8 years - how much longer should it last? Would it be worth getting?

slappy

i have a ioline super 88 30".... it was used..... just turned 10years old this year and works great!

slappy

it cut weird when i first got it and the kid that worked it before said that it was because it was old..... called the manufactor a few months later just "to see" and all i had to do was tighten the pulleys inside and the thing cut like brandnew even at full speed. I was amazed and the ioline people were very helpful. Here's a before i tightened the pulley and after pic.

Last edited:

slappy

i never had to service mine and it's been three years. I dust it out and clean it occasionally that's all.

geb

How much for the Ioline? We used an Ioline 88 till the head no longer worked properly, needed to go to the factory for refurbishing. Ioline tech support has always been first class in my opinion.

One thing with the 88, the handle that raises and lowers the pinch wheels is plastic and prone to breaking(or cracking). This part can be purchased from Ioline and replaced by the user. If I could do it, anyone can.

I think the price and use should be a major factor in your decision. Were it me, I would buy a new 24" name brand cutter over an older IOline 88, I never liked the tracking for longer runs on the ioline.

Can you see the machine demo? If so, check to see how it cuts different materials(reflective, etc). Also, bring some scrap vinyl and see how it tracks on a 10 - 12' rectangle, and see if it returns to the start of the rectangle, or if it is off. I bet it doesn't complete the rectangle properly.

George

crafty1

Would it be worth it if I could get it for $500 - $600? I wouldn't be cutting long tracks, probably nothing bigger than 16 - 20".

Would it be worth it if I could get it for $500 - $600

As long as it works, Hell yes!

Many people do not talk about the Iolines but they are one of the best you can buy. The biggest thing that happens with those machines is that if the main board gets hit with a surge it goes bye-bye. Keep it protected from lighning and you should be just fine.

We have an old Ioline Classic and although it does not have the features of out DGI it is still the easiest machine to use, especially for a beginner.

geb

Hard to say without looking or seeing it in action. What are your uses for buying a cutter? What vinyl will you be cutting? What about software?

The Ioline I used had a cd called the Control Center, where you could adjust certain things in the cutters operation, such as knife offset, and other things I can't remember right now.

The price is not bad for a good working cutter, but is that what you will be getting? I would try to see it demod, or spend your money wisely on a reputable 24" cutter.

If your going to be doing this long term, I would look for something else, just my opinion.

George

slappy

you can call ioline with the serial number and they'll tell you how old it is and their website has a printable owners manual and service manual download

crafty1

Hard to say without looking or seeing it in action. What are your uses for buying a cutter? What vinyl will you be cutting? What about software?

The Ioline I used had a cd called the Control Center, where you could adjust certain things in the cutters operation, such as knife offset, and other things I can't remember right now.

The price is not bad for a good working cutter, but is that what you will be getting? I would try to see it demod, or spend your money wisely on a reputable 24" cutter.

If your going to be doing this long term, I would look for something else, just my opinion.

George

What would you say is a reputable 24" cutter?

geb

Roland, Summa, Graphtec are the 24" models I would look at. Not the stuff selling on ebay for $4-500. I also own an Anagraph 24" cutter and love it. I think they are selling under a different name now, but not 100% sure.

I'd like to add I like the brand Ioline and also consider them reputable cutters. The cutter you mention here is the same age as the one I used daily for 6 years. I wanted to keep that cutter, but it wasn't cost effecient at the time to send it to the west coast for repair, be without a cutter for an undetermined amount of time, in the end the money spent could have been used for something newer and better in the minds of my employer.

If the Ioline you are looking at is in good working order and will do what you intend it to do, 500 is a good price. I'm just giving my opinion on the same cutter and my experiences with it over 6 years.

George

Steve C.

We have an Ioline Classic 24. Ioline makes good quality cutters and they
have the best tech support I have ever delt with. Any problems I ever had
where more operator problems than machine problems. It's 13 years old and
still does the majority of your cutting even though I have a 42" Graphtec 2
years old. Only real problem I ever had with the Ioline was replace the tention
handle. It has the Control Center software where you make changes, knife
pressure, g force, offset, etc. Good Machine!

dhamlett15

I have an Ioline studio 8 30" that I have used for 2 years now bought it for $150 used put a new blade in it cleaned it up a little bit and it still cuts good.