Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ioline super 88

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by crafty1, Apr 9, 2007.

1. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I am new to the business and looking at purchasing a used Ioline super88 30" machine. It has been used for 8 years - how much longer should it last? Would it be worth getting?

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It depends how well it's been kept up, we have plotters here that been running for over 20 years.........

3. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i have a ioline super 88 30".... it was used..... just turned 10years old this year and works great!

4. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    How often should they be serviced?

5. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    it cut weird when i first got it and the kid that worked it before said that it was because it was old..... called the manufactor a few months later just "to see" and all i had to do was tighten the pulleys inside and the thing cut like brandnew even at full speed. I was amazed and the ioline people were very helpful. Here's a before i tightened the pulley and after pic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  6. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i never had to service mine and it's been three years. I dust it out and clean it occasionally that's all.

7. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    second picture got water on it, but the cut is so much better cleaner. like new

8. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    What software are you using with it? I would mostly being needing different types of fonts.

9. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    flexi

10. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    How much for the Ioline? We used an Ioline 88 till the head no longer worked properly, needed to go to the factory for refurbishing. Ioline tech support has always been first class in my opinion.

One thing with the 88, the handle that raises and lowers the pinch wheels is plastic and prone to breaking(or cracking). This part can be purchased from Ioline and replaced by the user. If I could do it, anyone can.

I think the price and use should be a major factor in your decision. Were it me, I would buy a new 24" name brand cutter over an older IOline 88, I never liked the tracking for longer runs on the ioline.

Can you see the machine demo? If so, check to see how it cuts different materials(reflective, etc). Also, bring some scrap vinyl and see how it tracks on a 10 - 12' rectangle, and see if it returns to the start of the rectangle, or if it is off. I bet it doesn't complete the rectangle properly.

George

11. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Would it be worth it if I could get it for $500 - $600? I wouldn't be cutting long tracks, probably nothing bigger than 16 - 20".

12. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    As long as it works, Hell yes!

Many people do not talk about the Iolines but they are one of the best you can buy. The biggest thing that happens with those machines is that if the main board gets hit with a surge it goes bye-bye. Keep it protected from lighning and you should be just fine.

We have an old Ioline Classic and although it does not have the features of out DGI it is still the easiest machine to use, especially for a beginner.

13. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Crafty........how much are you looking to spend ?

14. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Hard to say without looking or seeing it in action. What are your uses for buying a cutter? What vinyl will you be cutting? What about software?

The Ioline I used had a cd called the Control Center, where you could adjust certain things in the cutters operation, such as knife offset, and other things I can't remember right now.

The price is not bad for a good working cutter, but is that what you will be getting? I would try to see it demod, or spend your money wisely on a reputable 24" cutter.

If your going to be doing this long term, I would look for something else, just my opinion.

George

15. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    you can call ioline with the serial number and they'll tell you how old it is and their website has a printable owners manual and service manual download

16. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    What would you say is a reputable 24" cutter?

17. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    What would you say is a reputable cutter?

18. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Roland, Summa, Graphtec are the 24" models I would look at. Not the stuff selling on ebay for $4-500. I also own an Anagraph 24" cutter and love it. I think they are selling under a different name now, but not 100% sure.

I'd like to add I like the brand Ioline and also consider them reputable cutters. The cutter you mention here is the same age as the one I used daily for 6 years. I wanted to keep that cutter, but it wasn't cost effecient at the time to send it to the west coast for repair, be without a cutter for an undetermined amount of time, in the end the money spent could have been used for something newer and better in the minds of my employer.

If the Ioline you are looking at is in good working order and will do what you intend it to do, 500 is a good price. I'm just giving my opinion on the same cutter and my experiences with it over 6 years.

George

19. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    We have an Ioline Classic 24. Ioline makes good quality cutters and they
    have the best tech support I have ever delt with. Any problems I ever had
    where more operator problems than machine problems. It's 13 years old and
    still does the majority of your cutting even though I have a 42" Graphtec 2
    years old. Only real problem I ever had with the Ioline was replace the tention
    handle. It has the Control Center software where you make changes, knife
    pressure, g force, offset, etc. Good Machine!

20. dhamlett15

dhamlett15 Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have an Ioline studio 8 30" that I have used for 2 years now bought it for $150 used put a new blade in it cleaned it up a little bit and it still cuts good.