• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ipad 2 - Anyone running right out to snap this up?

heyskull

I guess we are in hard times and of no new technology.
They now do not build faster processors but they strap 2,3,4 or even 5 together to give the same effect.
I have an old 3.7Ghz pentium 4 and it will still give most dual core machines a run for their money.
Apple has invented something that was already invented.

I have an old tablet pc with a 1.2Ghz procecessor and 2Gig of RAM and it does a hell of a lot more thanan ipad, and I can run sign and design programmes that I can really use.

SC

2972renfro

Hey people.... Steve is not wanting to build a laptop killer. That would eat into sales of their own machines. He even mentions how all the PC companies are trying to produce laptop versions of the ipad and he thinks that they are missing the point.

The ipad must be hitting the sweet spot for alot of people as even the 2nd version is outselling the first one. IT IS NOT A LAPTOP, apple already has laptops so sure it won't have the same performance. It cannot do so and fit inside such a small form factor

If you look at how it can be used in schools, hospitals, businesses etc where even a laptop is too large/clunky it makes perfect sense. I find that most any smartphone is really a bit too small for web browsing and heavy email use

Joe Diaz

Hey people.... Steve is not wanting to build a laptop killer. That would eat into sales of their own machines. He even mentions how all the PC companies are trying to produce laptop versions of the ipad and he thinks that they are missing the point.

The ipad must be hitting the sweet spot for alot of people as even the 2nd version is outselling the first one. IT IS NOT A LAPTOP, apple already has laptops so sure it won't have the same performance. It cannot do so and fit inside such a small form factor

If you look at how it can be used in schools, hospitals, businesses etc where even a laptop is too large/clunky it makes perfect sense. I find that most any smartphone is really a bit too small for web browsing and heavy email use

I agree that smart phones are awkward for web browsing. But with the size of laptops now-a-days, the ipad isn't that much more "mobile" I'm trying to picture how I would travel around with one that would be any different from traveling around with a small laptop.

But I do want to correct you on something. The thing is PC companies were already producing laptop versions of the ipad long before the ipad existed. Those convertible tablet PCs have been around for years now. So this isn't a case of PC manufactures copying apple, but they are benefiting from the buz generated by the ipad. In fact the ipad wasn't even the first sans keyboard touchscreen tablet. It is however very popular. Which I for one think is a good thing. I think when people start taking tablets seriously we will see that form factor develop more as an alternative.

One day I will own a tablet, but like others, I will need to see a few features added before it will fit into my lifestyle and warrant me spending money on another gadget. But that's me. Right now its got the power and features closer to a smartphone and the size of a small laptop. I would need it to offer me something that I can't get from either, or somehow be able to replace both devices. It isn't there yet. I totally understand why others can justify buying one. They need different things from their tech devices.

I think someone should make a higher end version. The same slim form factor, similar weight, but with more power, an actual operating system (Not a smartphone OS), a wacom(like) digitizer with a stylus. There are a few PC versions that are farther along in that regards, but they aren't quite there yet either. That is why I don't own one yet. I would spend $1200 or maybe a bit more on something like that. But It's a number game, and I don't think at this point these companies are worried about that market. They are trying to cram what they can into the $400-$800 range. So I guess I'll have to wait.

mark galoob

one day soon the ipad will be able to be rolled up and put in a protective "tube" case. just wait, i truely believe that is where the tech is heading...

mark galoob

Mainframe

I wasn't the least bit interested in an ipad (& i am a huge mac junky) until I saw the keynote by Jobs. I think even he is shocked at what the developers have done & how people use the thing, I was quite surprised at it's many uses, although the keynote has to be viewed on snow leopard or ios 4? (what is that?) iphone I guess, (i don't own one of those either) now how does that help sales, what if you wanted to see it from a windows machine, how can that want to make someone "switch" oh well sounds like the silly flash thing also,
here is the link

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1103pijanbdvaaj/event/index.html

buttons

I wasn't the least bit interested in an ipad (& i am a huge mac junky) until I saw the keynote by Jobs. I think even he is shocked at what the developers have done & how people use the thing, I was quite surprised at it's many uses, although the keynote has to be viewed on snow leopard or ios 4? (what is that?) iphone I guess, (i don't own one of those either) now how does that help sales, what if you wanted to see it from a windows machine, how can that want to make someone "switch" oh well sounds like the silly flash thing also,
here is the link

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1103pijanbdvaaj/event/index.html

What? I watched the keynote on my windows machine in FF.

signswi

Have very little use for a tablet but when my kid is a bit older I'll probably get one as they're great kid platforms. Unless the Android application development on the tablet side has caught up by then in which case I'll go Android, as I try to avoid Apple Tax.