• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Iphone is now 2 years old!

visual800

In December of 2017 me and the woman went to the Verizon store and got 2 iphone 7's. She has chosen to update her phone from day 1. As you guys know I despise updates and Im a firm believer they do nothing but kill devices and cause problems.

To date, 2 years (as far as I know) I have personally NOT allowed any updates on this iphone. My iphone runs great, it sounds fine, no issues. Hers? She cant surf the web all it does is spin, her mail comes in slowly. She always has 1 less bar than I do if we go out of town. her phone is so damn slow to respond to anything its irritating to use it for nothing other than calls or texts.

Now keep in mind everything on my phone is cut off. If I wanna do FB or surf the web I have to cut cellular on for the specific devices IF I cant pick up a wifi. All notifications are turned off and I dont do email on my phone I would rather handle emails in front of the pc, maybe Im old school. I refuse to run around allowing a cell phone to dictate my life. One the weekend my texts notifications are cut off.

My question is this what all did those updates offer her on her phone except for cool stuff that phases out in one day? What exactly does apple feel like they need to update stuff for? 2 years no updates phone works great. the ONLY issues I have is that damn siri still doesnt understand what the hell Im saying when i do talk to text

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You need to spend a little time understanding your device and how its capabilities can make your life easier and improve your workflow. I have an iPhone 6, and despite being a little slower than my wife's newer phone, it works flawlessly.

Apple's updates usually involve security concerns and better operating efficiency. Sometimes they offer new features. It is true that an older phone may be less compatible with the newer operating systems, resulting in somewhat slower operation, but for someone like you who uses it fairly infrequently, the differences would be barely noticeable.

If your wife's phone is acting up, it can be reset with a new OS and you can add the apps back one by one. Also I hear closing apps you are not using helps, but it seems to make no difference to me (I am also a light user, turn off my notifications, and usually have "Do not disturb" on during the day).

If smart phone culture irritates you (as the tone of your post suggests), then just get a feature phone. They still make them. Then you can walk around cackling about how all the kids have their faces buried in their phones, secure in your ludditism.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sooo... you have a smart phone but don't use 99% of it's functionally? Sounds like your wife uses hers much more than you do.

It's kind of like saying... "I have a pickup truck and I've never towed anything and it drives just like it did when I bought it" . Meanwhile, your wife has the bed full of concrete and is pulling a camper and your complaining she can't drive as fast.

WildWestDesigns

While there is one "feature" that I can think of that has hampered the iPhone that came as an update. By in large, updates are a double edge sword. There are some good points to updates and then there are some "bad" updates.

If you don't need as much of the features of the phone as it appears in your post, I have to wonder if it would really be better to just get a regular phone and not mess with the smart phones.

CanuckSigns

While there is one "feature" that I can think of that has hampered the iPhone that came as an update. By in large, updates are a double edge sword. There are some good points to updates and then there are some "bad" updates.

If you don't need as much of the features of the phone as it appears in your post, I have to wonder if it would really be better to just get a regular phone and not mess with the smart phones.

Can you even get a "dumb" phone anymore, aside from the token flip phone with big buttons for seniors that each carrier sells for once in a blue moon someone's grandma wants one of those "new car phones"

WildWestDesigns

Can you even get a "dumb" phone anymore, aside from the token flip phone with big buttons for seniors that each carrier sells for once in a blue moon someone's grandma wants one of those "new car phones"

I think that they are bringing back that phone that was in the Matrix (1st one, never saw the others). I don't know if it will have new features or not and it's just the shell that was from the movie.
Also have trac phones as well, I think they have some dummy ones.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
About every 6 months or when my phone is acting up I do a full restore. Just be sure that you have current backups turned on either in the cloud or to a computer. You will also have to turn off "find my phone". And be sure you know your apple ID and password. I prefer backups to my computer since they download faster than wifi.

This helps clean up lots of extra junk. I have noticed my available storage can jump up dramatically after doing this

After erasing data on your phone you will want to choose restore from backup. Do not choose the new option otherwise you will lose your apps, photos, songs, and settings.

There are numerous online step by step instructions to follow if you google iphone restore

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
visual800 said:
In December of 2017 me and the woman went to the Verizon store and got 2 iphone 7's. She has chosen to update her phone from day 1. As you guys know I despise updates and Im a firm believer they do nothing but kill devices and cause problems.

To date, 2 years (as far as I know) I have personally NOT allowed any updates on this iphone. My iphone runs great, it sounds fine, no issues. Hers? She cant surf the web all it does is spin, her mail comes in slowly. She always has 1 less bar than I do if we go out of town. her phone is so damn slow to respond to anything its irritating to use it for nothing other than calls or texts.

I seem to recall Apple getting into a lot of bad publicity hot water recently regarding them deliberately slowing down older generation devices. It's a real thing. Apple's excuse: they've been doing it to protect the devices. An older, aging battery apparently has a greater risk of catching fire or doing other unpredictable things to cause damage. At any rate, it's still another sales pitch to dole out that cash for more Apple upgrades.

BTW, I'm using a Samsung Note 5 that's over 4 years old and still working okay. I'm holding out for a couple of reasons. I'm (unfortunately) a long time Sprint customer and the sort-of pending T-Mobile takeover really muddies the waters for a new phone purchase at this point. Then there's the issue of 5G; very few new phones are truly compatible with it. But I don't know. It has taken freaking forever for Sprint to bring LTE Plus service to Lawton. The 5G thing may be its own double-edged sword: possibly much higher download speeds, but at a significantly higher price. As if smart phone plans aren't expensive enough as it is!

visual800 said:
Now keep in mind everything on my phone is cut off. If I wanna do FB or surf the web I have to cut cellular on for the specific devices IF I cant pick up a wifi. All notifications are turned off and I dont do email on my phone I would rather handle emails in front of the pc, maybe Im old school. I refuse to run around allowing a cell phone to dictate my life. One the weekend my texts notifications are cut off.

If I mainly wanted a phone only to make and take calls I would probably get an old-school flip phone and save a whole lot of money on the phone plan. I'm not a big fan of texting BTW, but will admit it's way easier to do on a smart phone screen than a basic 10/12-key old phone. I had a slider phone back in the 2000's; typing text messages on that was a giant PITA.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have Verizon prepaid... 20gb a month for $50 (tax included) and I can hotspot that data. People on post-paid plans pay double that price. If your paying too much try switching to your carriers prepaid plan...its the same thing just lower price.

Johnny Best

I have the IPhone Xr and it is really nice compared to my IPhone 6. I use it for everything and upgrade it when it tells me to. Like someone mentioned mostly for security reasons. I have always been a Mac user so I am not afraid of the upgrade things you have to do. I love the IPhone, like having a laptop in your pocket all the time, all my emails, books, music and fake news from CNN.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Always worth checking your battery health. Get a new battery in there and it runs good as new. Most of the time they slow down due to battery ageing/preventing battery ageing. Apple do try to charge a small fortune for a new battery, still cheaper than upgrading!

Though now I’m on the iPhone 11 and I can do a full day of work, using it every now and then and come home with about 80%.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I finally killed my note 3 and had to upgrade. It was just fine until I broke it. People would call me and I could call them.......

HecklnDecalr

A cell phone is a mini computer, and the HDD in regards to OS and whatnot work in a similar way to you desktop or laptop. After being used a lot and having apps, pics and everything else installed, deleted and moved, things have to work a bit harder to talk to each other correctly and will "slow down".
You are correct however that constantly updating you phone is also not ideal. For the first year your phone hardware will run smoothly with the updates but after that it can begin to lag with all the bells and whistles added with all the updates.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
She may have so many apps open at once, it may be slowing it down.
Double clicking the home button will show how many there are, just swipe up to close them.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
My wife has an iphone 7 and I have a 10R. Her 7 is running the latest ios 13.3, used daily with lots of apps and no issues. Like I said previously consider doing a full phone wipe and restore but do have a good backup if you go that route

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
phones.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

visual800

I pay 65 per month, i have the low data plan. Every now and then I will use maps and log onto FB out of boredom. I may be old shool in my thinking but the weekends are mine i dont want to be distracted by work emails, work text or any of the sort. on the weeknds if I get a work related text I dont respond till monday. There is absolutely nothing I can do for you between Fri afternoon and Sunday nite.

I know a couple people that have pay for minute phones and they are smart also. My phone does not rule my life now I do have an ipad that is nothig but wifi and I do enjoy that I dont update it either.

Johnny Best

I pay 65 per month, i have the low data plan. Every now and then I will use maps and log onto FB out of boredom. I may be old shool in my thinking but the weekends are mine i dont want to be distracted by work emails, work text or any of the sort. on the weeknds if I get a work related text I dont respond till monday. There is absolutely nothing I can do for you between Fri afternoon and Sunday nite.

I know a couple people that have pay for minute phones and they are smart also. My phone does not rule my life now I do have an ipad that is nothig but wifi and I do enjoy that I dont update it either.

I am on a AT&T family plan (#10 phones) with a new IPhone Xr for free and unlimited data, text, everything for $20 a month.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am on a AT&T family plan (#10 phones) with a new IPhone Xr for free and unlimited data, text, everything for $20 a month.
Johnny, is that with the old people discount? Them figuring the battery may last longer than the user.