Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron on labels

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Welder.man, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    We sell a lot of vinyl name labels and get asked all the time for iron on (with household iron) labels, we have not go this way as without a heat press I thought they would not stay stuck, but there are so many places offering iron on labels I asked my spandex rep he said it is a siser type material but did not know much it.
    Anyone doing this? What material are you using? Where do you get it from? Can it be printed and cut with a Gerber set up.

Tags:
  2. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    I've ironed on thermoflex for my own stuff and it worked but for a client.... I probably would not do it

3. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
    You need to define the susbstrate.

For home use, sublimation is the way to go in most cases.

4. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies, The labels would go on to school and sport uniforms and other cloth products.

5. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    It's just same material as you're using... they're just using an iron for it.

6. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Flame I am only using Avery 700 and 900.

I have some Polyflex on the way from one of my suppliers to have a test run with.

Anyone else know ?

7. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    Here is a link to some that Signwarehouse sales under their name, I think it is made by Siser. I don't know anything about it just saw it in one of their flyers.

Iron-On

Stuart

8. Mike_Koval

Mike_Koval Active Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Uniontown, PA
    here is the skinny about using an iron...yes it will work, but would i trust it to stick permanently...no.

There are three key ingredients to a successful heat transfer, time, temperature and pressure. It is very tough to get all those accurate at one time with out a heat press.

9. Mike_Koval

Mike_Koval Active Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Uniontown, PA
    I sure wouldn't want to press a material for over a minute, thats for sure!