• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is 19 years old finally too old for a DGI?

When to say when. I have been using my DGI Omega OM-60 for nearly 19 years now. Just had its first breakdown, the ribbon cable going to the cutter carriage got snarfed by the circuit board on top of the carriage. Luckily, I had been given an identical dead plotter about 15 years ago. The ribbon cable from that one has a bad kink, so it only works if the shell is off, but it works. Found a new cable, will run me $30 including shipping, so it's ordered. Methinks it is high time for a new machine, leaning towards Graphtec, but welcome any suggestions. Small low volume shop, so no need for top of the line, but would like to have optical registration. Thanks in advance.

rjssigns

Summa. Ran the rubber off the wheels on my 24" Summa. Got so thin from use it cracked and fell off. Cut miles of vinyl 50 yards at a time. Once I get new wheels it will be ready to rock again.

In the process of doing the same to our 54" Summa we got last year. YMMV

BTW Summa is now branded AirMark. Contact Phil. He will take good care of you.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
If you are a small shop and are constantly changing rolls of vinyl to cut, I probably would not recommend a Summa.
I have found it annoying to have to go into extended plot mode every time I load a new roll just to cut past the end pinch rollers.
We have a D140R.
For just cutting vinyl without the optical eye, we have been using an Ioline for 15 years with no problems.

rjssigns

If you are a small shop and are constantly changing rolls of vinyl to cut, I probably would not recommend a Summa.
I have found it annoying to have to go into extended plot mode every time I load a new roll just to cut past the end pinch rollers.
We have a D140R.
For just cutting vinyl without the optical eye, we have been using an Ioline for 15 years with no problems.

Interesting. I've never needed to cut past the pinch wheels. If you don't mind sharing what is the application?

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
When to say when. I have been using my DGI Omega OM-60 for nearly 19 years now. Just had its first breakdown, the ribbon cable going to the cutter carriage got snarfed by the circuit board on top of the carriage. Luckily, I had been given an identical dead plotter about 15 years ago. The ribbon cable from that one has a bad kink, so it only works if the shell is off, but it works. Found a new cable, will run me $30 including shipping, so it's ordered. Methinks it is high time for a new machine, leaning towards Graphtec, but welcome any suggestions. Small low volume shop, so no need for top of the line, but would like to have optical registration. Thanks in advance.

A Graphtec should work fine for low volume, but after using both I'd prefer a Suma just for the better cutting accuracy alone. Especially on long runs.

I guess I should have ben more specific on my needs, but highly value the input. Funny, without mentioning it, the biggest concerns I have are accuracy and long runs. I do quite a bit of small decals where accuracy is a must for easy weeding of small text and detailed images, and I also do quite a few large signs where a run of 8-12 feet needs to track straight. Never had any experience with Summa, but always felt they were high quality. Thanks for the input.

AGCharlotte

never had much luck with the Graphtec tracking straight on large runs... so I never run anything longer than 4-5' unless I have to.