• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Is a 4x4 CNC router worth it (small shop concerns)?

SW_GW

Hello all, I have a small shop in a 2nd floor office building with your standard printer, laminator, vinyl cut, worktable & computer area.
I am considering getting a CNC router to be able to cut my own letters & signs as needed without outsourcing, but my biggest obstacle is lack of space.
The most used material for me is acrylic, PVC & alum. composite.
Does anybody have experience with owning a 4x4 CNC router vs a traditional 4x8? And in the same room/proximity as computers, printers? Will dust & such be a big issue?
Should I just wait for a bigger space to invest in a 4x8? I don't mind outsourcing but quality control & leadtime has been my biggest issue, former being my main concern.

CanuckSigns

If you are on the second floor of an office, your neighbours are going to hate you for making way too much noise!

cmoist

Dust can be a huge problem. Moreso with some materials like MDF and PVC. Even with good dust collection, I wouldn't run a CNC router in the same room with printers.

In terms of size, 4x4 would be fine - you just have to rip full sheets down to fit the bed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can also play with your software and do 1/2 a sign, then the other side to get up to a 4'x8'. The machine being in the same room with a printer..... AND a laminator ?? I don't think so.

netsol

how many posts have i seen, mentioning the need to swiffer material as it goes into the laminator?
cnc close to a laminator is going to be a problem