• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is a used Gerber EDGE worth $500?

TimToad

I've got a colleague wanting to sell me his used Gerber EDGE for $500.00 with a box of foils, an old CPU (don't need it) for it, and an ancient 4B ( really don't need that).

He says it runs fine, but he hasn't run any test prints off it for me yet.

It looks clean but has been stored for several years without being used. He now only does neon fab and repair.

We have Omega 5.0, which should run it just fine and we do a fair amount of contour cut decals off our Roland already for lots of customers. We buy at least $250 per year worth of EDGE decals from an outside vendor already because the city crest we put on all of our town's vehicles are silver on clear. I think I can sell more stuff off it, especially the stuff we turn down because we can't do white or metallics on the Roland.

If the thing prints well, and all the pixels seem intact, does this seem like a fair price? I've looked on Ebay, but those all look newer than this unit.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The older Edges have reached a point where you have to evaluate them, as you seem to be, by how much output you can sell. $500 is ridiculously low ... especially with a box full of foils. We use ours a lot less than we used to but I wouldn't take less than $3500 for ours without any foils. Keep in mind though that it's only as good as how long it will run before it needs a repair that will cost you more than $500.

artofacks1

The older Edges have reached a point where you have to evaluate them, as you seem to be, by how much output you can sell. $500 is ridiculously low ... especially with a box full of foils. We use ours a lot less than we used to but I wouldn't take less than $3500 for ours without any foils. Keep in mind though that it's only as good as how long it will run before it needs a repair that will cost you more than $500.

Since you use it a lot less than you use to. What do you use for your print these days?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since you use it a lot less than you use to. What do you use for your print these days?

We don't. It's simply a case, as I've aged, of being less able to cope with the physical activity of making and installing signs vs. running Signs 101 and developing more digital art. We closed our shop eight years ago and work at home. What work we do that involves decals, labels and signs has been allowed to decline. We've been an Edge shop since 1998 and a vinyl shop since 1983. We looked at inkjets in 2004 and decided to pass on that technology. When needed, inkjet production is easier and cheaper to outsource for us.

We love what our Edge does for us. In the seventeen years we've had it, it has produced in excess of $1 million worth of output. I invite any reader to look through our gallery of work on display here. Here's a link.

strypguy

I bought a gerber edge, GS15 plotter, and about 10 foils for $2500 and thought I got a good deal. It was well cared for and prints perfectly. That price included the shipping. It's a great deal if it's in good working order. John

Marlene

if it work, go for it. it may be a Trunion, not sure the spelling on that, but it is the first ones made. I don't think you can get any parts for it any more but who cares for $500.00 run it til it dies and toss it. it will pay for itself in no time

Bob Rochon

Seasoned Sign Freak
$500 with a 4B?

Edge 1, 2 or classic? how is it hinged? from the back or the side?
If it is hinged from the side? it's still not a bad deal but just know I don't believe parts to be available. now if it's hinged from the back, and it prints good run don't walk.

On another note, ANY edge working or not is worth $500 all day long as a massive trade in on a new one. Gerber is still offering $5,500 trade in value on old edges. I don't know how any shop can truly work with only one technology effectively. Most shops that have never owned a thermal machine don't know how efficient & profitable having one can be. Don't be so down on the 4B. If you don't have a 15" cutter it will be invaluable. Slow but it will cut all night if it has to :)

TimToad

$500 with a 4B?

Edge 1, 2 or classic? how is it hinged? from the back or the side?
If it is hinged from the side? it's still not a bad deal but just know I don't believe parts to be available. now if it's hinged from the back, and it prints good run don't walk.

On another note, ANY edge working or not is worth $500 all day long as a massive trade in on a new one. Gerber is still offering $5,500 trade in value on old edges. I don't know how any shop can truly work with only one technology effectively. Most shops that have never owned a thermal machine don't know how efficient & profitable having one can be. Don't be so down on the 4B. If you don't have a 15" cutter it will be invaluable. Slow but it will cut all night if it has to :)

I will check on which model it is. We're running a 54" Roland, a 5'x10' Gerber ION Solara and a 48" Gerber plotter, so I know what you mean about having multiple technologies to work with.

I think we have enough current decal demand to easily pay for it in a few jobs, but I mostly like the idea of not farming out our EDGE work or decals that have metallics or white on them.

CreatedDesigns

I took a gamble on a Gerber Edge For $577 shipped and it prints great. Had to go to Office Depot for a parallel cable but it prints from flexi 11 just fine. I figure it's only money and like everyone says with the Gerber deal still going is what keeps the value up on the old ones.