• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is anyone familiar with an XY cutter?

CMYKprnt

I was curious if anyone has had experience with an XY cutter - The concept is great but how do they work in the real world? I am looking at purchasing one.

bigben

You mean like a fotoba? I do alot of wallpapers, I've tired one once and it was amazing. I wish I had the space and budget to get one. If you are looking for a good quality vs price, check the kala and flexa brand. They booth are more or less than 20k$.

[video=youtube;IXJadMsWPmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXJadMsWPmo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

CMYKprnt

You mean like a fotoba? I do alot of wallpapers, I've tired one once and it was amazing. I wish I had the space and budget to get one. If you are looking for a good quality vs price, check the kala and flexa brand. They booth are more or less than 20k$.

[video=youtube;IXJadMsWPmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXJadMsWPmo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for!! Looks like the Fotoba is anywhere from $20-$50k. Of course after looking the 50K looks like the one to buy :) I will have to re-access my needs analysis at that level of investment.

CLEARLY DIGITAL

[video=youtube;IXJadMsWPmo]

Hi BigBen
I am a supplier of wide format printer solutions in SA. I have a client who is looking for a solution for his wallpaper requirements. He is currently using a Latex machine and is interested in the Canon Colorado. Is there any other machine that you might be able to recommend. I realise that Xeikon is the creme da le creme but that is not in the budget at this point. He is also looking for a competitive supplier of 150gm matt non woven media. I know most of the mills in Europe, but the cost of the media once here makes us uncompetitive. Would appreciate your imput.
Regards
Heather

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hi BigBen
I am a supplier of wide format printer solutions in SA. I have a client who is looking for a solution for his wallpaper requirements. He is currently using a Latex machine and is interested in the Canon Colorado. Is there any other machine that you might be able to recommend. I realise that Xeikon is the creme da le creme but that is not in the budget at this point. He is also looking for a competitive supplier of 150gm matt non woven media. I know most of the mills in Europe, but the cost of the media once here makes us uncompetitive. Would appreciate your imput.
Regards
Heather
Just tell them if they get a Colorado to be careful as the ink can crack if the wallpaper gets creased.

bigben

Hi BigBen
Regards
Heather

When I will have the space to buy one, it will be either a Kala Kalaxy or Flexa Miura II. They both are european manufacturer, so it should be fairly cheap for you.

Just tell them if they get a Colorado to be careful as the ink can crack if the wallpaper gets creased.

I almost pull the trigger to buy a Canon Colorado. But the brittle and cracking problem was too major factor for us. We still doing some homework on different machines, but for now we run everything on our latex machine.

COLEX

[video=youtube;IXJadMsWPmo]

Please contact me at sales@colex.com to set-up a demo to see the Fotoba in action. The Fotoba XLD170WP follows the image with an accuracy of 0.05mm and is ideal for trimming multiple tiles of single images for Butt Joint applications offering patented angle correction and media tracking.

CanuckSigns

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for!! Looks like the Fotoba is anywhere from $20-$50k. Of course after looking the 50K looks like the one to buy :) I will have to re-access my needs analysis at that level of investment.

For that kind of money, have you considered a flatbed cutter like the Summa F1612 or Colex? We just got a 1612 and I'm blown away with how much time we save trimming prints, and how accurate it is!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
For that kind of money, have you considered a flatbed cutter like the Summa F1612 or Colex? We just got a 1612 and I'm blown away with how much time we save trimming prints, and how accurate it is!

This is why we went for the flexa miura II when we went XY, the price for the fotoba seemed crazy for the application we needed.

All in on the flexa we’re about 18k (we’ve bought a few sets of double cutters since install). Compare that to the fotoba - we got quoted £42k for the machine and £12k FOR THE TABLE!

You’re exactly right, at the fotoba price point you might as well just get a flatbed cutter if you have the space. Unless you’re only running posters. The wear and tear on the XY’s is probably a lot less money to maintain!

Still, I can’t recommend an XY enough. We’re cutting about 25k posters/banners/vinyls etc a month on ours and it eats through rolls like a trooper.

CanuckSigns

What is the market for these machines? I just got a customer looking for 1000 posters on paper 22"x32", I could buy the posters from an online wholesaler for 50% of my cost for the paper alone, when is it profitable to run an entire roll of posters? Am I missing something?

Bly

What is the market for these machines? I just got a customer looking for 1000 posters on paper 22"x32", I could buy the posters from an online wholesaler for 50% of my cost for the paper alone, when is it profitable to run an entire roll of posters? Am I missing something?

When you can charge extra because they need them this afternoon.