• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is anyone running an HP FB950?

I worked with this machine when it was a colorspan and its a beast. Once it is dialed in and working properly it does pretty good wouldnt call it top of the line or anything.

I have heard that HP did some revamping of the feed system and carriage. But one thing to think about is it is Macdermid/colorspan propiatary hardware and I have been an seen how they were manufacturing these big dogs in Minneapolis and really my opinion ends with a middle point.

From what I have heard is that there isnt a bunch of these units out in the field so thats another set back.

cdiesel

I've been told that the only thing that carried over from the Colorspan was the I-beam, but other than that everything is basically new. I also read it uses Ricoh heads, and there aren't many of them out there either.

I'm also considering an EFI QS2000. Any experience with that one?

No experience with or heard of anyone in this area with a EFI QS. Whats the specs of the machine you are looking for?

Do you like the arizona flatbeds the 250GT kicks alota a's but its not the biggest flatty, I have seen the mimaki 5x10 true flatbed with white ink.. They are nice if the guy who puts it together knows what they are doing it takes about 3 days and theres alot of heavy parts moving.

I like it though its fast, but its not cheap. I wouldnt go with any of the HP/colorspan stuff just b/c theres alot better out there.

Now the FB950 is classified as a Scitex, so it may well be they revamped it more than I know of. I see the designjet Flatty's all the time the hybrid side is ruff b/c moving a substrate through a grit roller is a restriction.... When I worked with the FB it was a narly belt drive unit that was humongo.

I have worked on the Gerber Ion abunch and there nice for the price not the quickest but they do a good job and have some Gerber "old School" feel to them.... ummm of corse the category up is the Inca,Agfa,and I would classify the EFI with that series... You ever heard of anyone with a durst of any flat kind?

Typestries

Hay Chris

my 2¢ if you are going to buy a flatbed dont buy one that uses grit rollers to move sheets! Sure, me and Mike were early adopters and jumped on the 72uvr from colorspan-it was pretty much the only option then, but now, with so many vac tables, run from the grit rollers way too many feed issues for production

as for the QS, I cant help but I am very happy with my gandi flatbed, to the point that i'll buy another!

I believe the vutek belt system is pretty good, but a vac table still seems the best.

SignManiac

I'm running the FB950 and could not be happier. After three years of f'n around with hybrid grit roller machines, this machine is the real deal. Mine was installed in February of this year and we have not had one issue or day of downtime for the past six months of running it daily.

HP called us last Friday and asked if they could come by and do a firmware update and recalibrate the the machine, on their dime and without having to ask them to do it. They said these improvements would improve the print quality even more and make the machine even more dependable.

This printer has been highly refined from the earlier 940 / 910 models and it's evident in the print quality and most of all, the reliability. I opted for the roll to roll option and it handles continuous banner printing up to 8' wide and the speed is really good in production mode.

All in all, this is not a toy and is a true industrial printer unlike the other printers I got burned on. The old adage still rings true, you get what you pay for!

Edited to say, give me a call if you want and I'll do the best I can to answer any more questions in detail.

The last sign I just posted in the portfolio section was printed on this printer and it really does look good.

supersignmart

How Much?

Wow Sign Maniac how much did HP pay you to say all those wonderful things, remember you are still dealing with the same colorspan people as before.
As for the upgrade, everyone who owns a fb950 got that.
By the way I own one too, installed about 2 months ago.

SignManiac

Are you not happy with your printer? I'm telling it like it is and not paid a dime to say it. I'm just relieved to finally have a working printer that's been reliable unlike the other three printers I had.

QS2000 is much more of a production machine. Intended and proven for real print volume...

Sure it is more expensive but well worth it.

The FB950 is a toy compared to the Vutek....

The only real Scitex production machines were developed and made in Israel not Minnesota...

Just like the tanks and Nur machines....

We own multiple machines from Scitex, Gandi and Vutek. Each machine has been well worth it and preformed as expected...

Like everything you get what you pay for..

My 2 cents is do not sell yourself short on the flatbed investment.. You will grow out of a low or mid end investment. Buy more than you need if you have the capital expenditure $$$.

Last edited:

supersignmart

Razor, I would do more homework, talk to people who own them before I buy the next one.
I believe my next will be a vutek, I've yet to hear any real negative about them.

cdiesel

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be looking closely at SGIA. The FB950 runs a vacuum belt, right? What kind of throughput are you guys seeing at an acceptable resolution? How long are your lamps lasting and how much do they run?

And Mike, I'd *LOVE* to get into a Vutek.. just don't know if we can afford it right now. I've still got to figure out where to put the thing!

Albion

Razor, I would do more homework, talk to people who own them before I buy the next one.
I believe my next will be a vutek, I've yet to hear any real negative about them.
...You did say you had one on your floor for the last two months? Are you running it or not?
I spent a full day in Minneapolis throwing anything we could at it with our own files and we never had one misprint and the all the prints looked great. Set up was quick and easy and quite am improvement on the H45500 that we've had on our floor for the last year and a half. Actually....you can't even compare the two. I think SignManiac can attest to that one. I'm guessing that you are not having any success with yours since you seem to have a negative tone to your comment or lack of one.
I appreciate your input and I guess the next few months will be interesting to see if the FB950 does what's it's supposed to do. One way or another I will certainly post to let everyone know how it's performing in our shop.

Cheers!

cdiesel

Well shoot, maybe I can afford one!
I wonder what kind of problems I'd run into bringing this in from Canada.