• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is anyone using 3rd party ink for jv3

wavegypsy

Is anyone using 3rd party ink for jv3?
I have only used Mimaki ink. Any recommendations of what works or what to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks

CS-SignSupply

Currently selling a good amount of the Solaris MaxLife ink for mimaki with good results.

Give me a call and I can offer you a few references and offer you pricing.

DigitalManiacs

Third Party Inks for Mimaki JV3

In the past third party inks have been a problem, because of bulk systems, open to the air ink supply causes the ink to concentrate and dampers and heads clog as a result.
In more recent history the third party inks are available in cartridges just like the original, eliminating the issues I've just stated.
If you wish, email me or call me at 954.739.2277 for further and more detailed information.

wavegypsy

I'm checking because 3rd party cartidges are $20 to $30 cheaper.
Thanks for the advice on bulk, never thought about the exposure to air.

artbot

i recently switched to triangle with refillable clear cartridges transferring the factory chip to the clears. ...am about to get the permanent chips for the set up.

the triangle ink is superior to the SS2. it has a bit more retarder in it, i've noticed a pronounced reduction in issues like the faint rings of dried ink that dries around the bottom of the heads, the surround of the heads is cleaner, the whole machine seems to be easier to maintain.

the color is better. the yellow is the best difference. it is a true process yellow rather than a dye/gold. your prints will reach better limes and purer yellows. the magenta is better too. almost a hot pink red. making true red less elusive of a color to hit.

as far as scratch resistance. they seem to be the same. very tough and very good adhesion just as the SS2 provided.

i can't imagine going back to opaque cartridges, bleeding high costs (ink is no longer this precious expensive fluid), a more finicky printer, and duller color. if you consider, an ink company has one thing to do. make ink. eat sleep and breath INK. ink ink ink..... ink. that's all they think about every day. INK. there's no way the guys at mimaki or any other printer manufacturer are as obsessed.

signswi

We run Triangle, much better than the ElevenTen we were using previously. Magenta in particular is a lot more vibrant. Wanted to go with Solaris but couldn't for a few reasons not worth getting into. The Triangle has been great though the chips on the carts are giving us more problems than ElevenTen or OEM did.

TheSnowman

Been running Bordeaux for almost two years now on my JV3. No issues, don't have to know anything, just plug it in when your OEM's run out. No complaints.

eye4clr

+1 triangle for 4 years and running.

3rd party inks are best paired with the ability to make your own profiles. Most frustrations with 3rd party inks come from the system not being setup for each individual media.

MikePro

are we seriously starting another thread about this?

Search function available on these forums, I bet there's 10 threads about it.

Just switched back to OEM from Bordeaux Inks, myself. No complaints about either except you'll get shit from service techs about how they "don't know what's wrong with your printer, for certain, because they've never worked with those inks before".

OEM smells less, which is why i'm holding onto it for now. At a nickle more a sq.ft. who really cares that much unless you're pumping out a Roll a day and want to look into bulk systems. Then, I'd recommend getting clear refillable cartridges and use Triangle's bulk ink. no reason for a new system when you've got a perfectly good one working for you right now.

powerchord

$110 - 440ml cart of OEM
$80 - 1000ml of 3rd party

I'm no math whiz (actually I am), but bulk ink saves me much more than .05 per sf...not to mention no dropouts due to cart sensor malfunctions (rare on OEM, I know...I did my time with them :)...just my .02 (or ~.15 )...

Best move, from a $ standpoint, our company has made :)

1banner

Started OEM, tried Eleventen and back to OEM...smell/odor was part of it, some colors did not pop and piece of mind w/ OEM. For the $$ you'll save, it just didn't off-set the piece of mind along with knowing the cost of a printhead. Others here have had no problem and swear by them...

MikePro

its a bit more for a liter of 3rd party, or at least good ones.... if you're going to compare to OEM. Triangle liters go for $130. Still a decent savings, ok maybe a dime a ml, but I wasn't trying to make a point about exact numbers.

regardless, a DIME (maybe $0.15, if you want to get technical) per mL saved isn't worth the potential of voiding your printer warranty before its out. Stick to OEM, at least until then.

I've been on Bordeaux for the past year and just recently switched back to OEM for the time being since I just installed 3 new print heads and my office is hanging me out to dry by trying to blame their failure on 3rd party inks. aaaand have been complaining for the past year that the solvent smell had gotten worse with the switch.

Will soon be switching to Triangle Bulk, as OEM costs me ~$0.25/mL whereas Triangle will run me @ HALF! ($0.13/mL)

Last edited:

PaintBallMan

What the company/site is better to buy Triangle Inks and Triangle's bulk ink.?
What type of Triangle is for JV33.?
Plz.
Thanks.

cdiesel

We run Triangle bulk ink on our Rolands. Would run on our HP if they made it, but noone does. There is a risk of voiding a warranty, but with volume, it more than pays for itself. Bulk/aftermarket inks should only be used by people who are running a decent amount of volume. One of our local distributors will not sell you a system unless you run at least 1 liter per month, per color. I think you should run more than that, but that's just me.
There is a HUGE price difference which will more than pay for any issues that may arise. We figure that we save about $60k a year by using bulk ink. That would cover two brand new printers a year if needed.
We have been running bulk ink since day one on our XJ740 (about 2.5 years) and for about 3.5 years on our XC540. We've replaced exactly one head on the XC that was damaged in a head strike. The current K head on our XC has over 6 billion shots on it. I've been told expected life is about 4 billion.

I have 18 liters of Triangle JVS ink that I don't need. Bought it on close-out from a distributor for a printer we have, but never run. Anybody interested, give me a shout!

inkmed

If your print job is busy, 3rd part ink and permanent chips are good choice.
it can save at least 1/3 cost and very convenient.

but if your printer is new, it is better print with original ink, or you will lost the warranty.

as I know, most printing company prefer 3rd part ink.

Adam from Inkmed

benjercorp

Well I love this question!!!
The truth is that with 3rd party inks you save a lot more and the price for any damage to the ink flow system will be covered on the 3rd month.
crunch numbers and you'll realize how much you can save from the beginning, If they tell you that you will loose warranty only because you switched over to a less expensive ink
SUE THEM !!!! you are only putting the ink flow system at risk not the whole printer....