• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Cut Server stupid or am I?

AGinVT

We recently purchased a Summa cutter (S2 Class T-Series) to use in tandem with our HP Latex 560 printer, and are trying to use the Onyx Thrive RIP software to operate them both. Our HP was purchased in 2017, so it’s using a slightly older version of Thrive (v12, I think). The problem we’re having is that the cut server is struggling to correctly interpret the vector files being sent to it; vector paths that seem pretty simple and straightforward to me go bonkers when loaded into the cut queue (and cut according to the wacky preview instead of the correct vector paths). Our old go-to system for print/cut is a Roland Soljet printer powered by Versacamm RIP software, and over the years I’ve developed some tricks for that system to get files to cut correctly, but my old tricks don’t seem to be effective here. Is there anything I can do to make sure the cut server interprets vector art correctly? Below are a couple of examples of the actual vector art coupled with how it shows up in the Onyx cut server. (Versaworks has no trouble with these files.)

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.12.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.12.44 AM.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 183
    217.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 198
    217.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.17.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.17.58 AM.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 176

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What are you using as design software and what sort of file are you exporting to feed Onyx?
I've been using Onyx for 7+ years and have only ever seen this happen with malformed SVG files so far.
Never had it happen with a PDF exported out of Illustrator though.
Happy to take a copy of one of your files and opening it up in our copy of 12.2 to test if you like.

AGinVT

What are you using as design software and what sort of file are you exporting to feed Onyx?
I've been using Onyx for 7+ years and have only ever seen this happen with malformed SVG files so far.
Happy to take a copy of one of your files and opening it up in our copy of 12.2 to test if you like.
Thanks for the for the thoughts; I think this just represents growing pains for me. I'm a Versaworks veteran, but an Onyx cut server noob trying to break in a new Summa cutter.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Off topic but are you using summa cutter control/barcode server? Saves a lot of time!

Assuming the job pictured above is a cut job and not a print and cut?

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Same here. Those pictures look exactly like when I was experimenting with Cut Server and SVG files for cut only job. Never did get it to work.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Same here. Those pictures look exactly like when I was experimenting with Cut Server and SVG files for cut only job. Never did get it to work.

I always found you had to save as SVG, open it up, save artwork to bounds, then resave for it to work. That’s In illustrator though (we don’t do many cut only jobs on that cutter so haven’t done it in a while)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I always found you had to save as SVG, open it up, save artwork to bounds, then resave for it to work. That’s In illustrator though (we don’t do many cut only jobs on that cutter so haven’t done it in a while)

Thanks for the tip, I will give this a shot!