Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Digital Art considered real art?

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by Sidney, May 17, 2017.

1. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    I guess it comes down to creative minds and creative tools:) I just spent appx 60 hours on this design for a long time customer...hope you all enjoy.

Thank you for your input and passion:)
    Macaw_landscape_realistic_web.jpg

2. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Sketch_Skull_beard_web.jpg This project took me app 15 hours....all free hand on the computer using Corel Painter.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What da........?? You posted that same thing twice before. What are you trying to really do with this thread ??

You managed to copy a bird from someone and make it into a vector piece of art...... so what ?? Get over it, already.

:banghead:

4. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Is there some time limit that after which something becomes art? Before which it's not? Still nothing more that digital farkling around no matter how long it takes. No technology, no art it would seem. Which lends some credence to the notion that the technology is at least as much art as what someone does with it.

And just what is that creature in the middle of the sky? A donkey? A wildebeest? A bandicoot?

5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So Sidney the Artist starts this thread wondering if digital art is art. Days go by and people reply with their thoughts and the he post his 75 hours of work with Sidney the Artist watermark all over it.
    Will have to make a metal note on not responding to his questions next time.
    ...bob, Bandicoot.

Attached Files:

6. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    It's a donkey.....customer owns a coffee bean company and wants lots of detail:)

7. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Just a question for those who want to comment:)

8. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    In the thread I stated "It would be cool so see some digital art from you digital artists:)". The watermarks are part of my business formalities and it is no more than that. Thank you.

9. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone, Truly!...being in an industry that is "Visual" to say the least, is a great business to be in and I wouldn't trade it in for another profession:)

10. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I realize what the watermarks are for Sidney. I just felt used that someone like you, who calls himself "TheArtist" considers digital art as art would ask if it was.
    Not upset or anything like that. But next time I drive up to your house and you ask me if that is a car I am driving I will give a different answer to fit the tone of the conversation, since you already know the answer.
    But your an artist and eccentric.

11. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Johnny, I understand.
    I have been a professional artist for a long time and never planned on calling myself Sidney the artist, I am just an artist. It was after years of calling customers and saying this is Sidney the guy that's going to do a mural etc and them responding "who.....sidney who?". Me responding " I'm Sidney and going to do art for your boss"...and them responding Oh, Sidney The Artist, yes hold on a moment etc..etc. In addition to that, potential customers would call and for some reason, ask for Sidney the artist. Well, one day I told myself, I might as well buy the name. If you met me you would probably see that I one of the lease eccentric artist:)....I am a business man.
    Thank you, Sidney L Muniz

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hello JS,

I went out of town for business when I posted and did not reply to your comment and pics. Wow, you are no joke!! :) Awesome and top-notch art & graphics. I wish I knew how you did that car....all your work is exceptional.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sidney

13. Stormyj

Stormyj Member

Jan 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    You could drop a deuce on the lawn, charge people to see it and call it art.

14. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Just watch Moana, the digital HD animated movie by Disney with my granddaughter. Beautiful colors and entertaining to get my vote for a true art form.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
  16. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Art + Tech:

wayne k
    guam usa

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Well said....it does take flair of personality, knowledge etc. The good thing is that we all have great tools for creating art, graphics and other visual elements. Thanks, Sidney

18. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Wow! Incredible....just amazing at the levels and subject matter of art & design. Thanks, Sidney

19. Tfloraditch

Tfloraditch Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Hooksett NH
    Before I offer an answer to your question, can please define what you mean by art?