• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question IS GRIMCO LIKE THIS WITH EVERYTHING?

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
To me things should have a price, which i can depend on.

At this stage I SHOULD BE PAYING MUCH MORE than many of you, because of volume.
But PRICING SHOULD BE A CONSTANT, not "i wonder what grimco will charge me today?"
We do this here on Long Island.
Our costs on medias have gone up quite a bit But being a new dealer here we have not raised our selling prices at all on medias.
Reach out to me and I will give you your local dealers in NJ who don't have to worry about the greatly increased shipping costs.
Bruce@melloimaging.com
631-520-3074

netsol

i can understand the point of reserving funds, when you order, (doesn't matter much on a credit card, BIG PROBLEM ON A DEBIT CARD)
gas stations do the same thing, ask for $20 of regular, they hold as much as $100, covers them if the pump doesn't shut off
then it is a question of getting access to the funds again

years ago i bought an $8000 network analyzer, my suppliers rep was an old friend, they had brand new shipping software
she was trying to save me on overnight shipping from southern california, she ran the transaction 3 ways
long story short, she locked up $24,000 for a period off 10 days, meaning to do me a favor (she hadn't learned to use the new software yet!)

however i don't see the point in the supplier double invoicing, seems kind of odd

MIkeyB036

I received a delivery from Harbor yesterday, and their website seems to be working OK.

harborsales.net
800-345-1712
410-758-5461

I don't know what happened, then, cause we called both of those numbers. One said it wasn't working, and the other didn't go through at all.

I guess we'll try again next week.

P.S. Does anyone know if they allow pick-up? Freight charges are insane, and we're only about 100 miles away from one of their warehouses...we could go pick up our order.

Steenland

Old Member
I don't know what happened, then, cause we called both of those numbers. One said it wasn't working, and the other didn't go through at all.

I guess we'll try again next week.

P.S. Does anyone know if they allow pick-up? Freight charges are insane, and we're only about 100 miles away from one of their warehouses...we could go pick up our order.

I'm almost 200 miles from Harbor, and they always deliver next business day, no extra charge, in their own truck. I've been ordering from them since 1998 with very few problems.

I wasn't aware they had any other locations or warehouses, just the headquarters in Sudlersville, Maryland. Their website states, "Your price is always the full price delivered to your door, no hidden charges." Where are you seeing "insane" freight charges?

I just tried both of their numbers and they seem to be working fine. Got their voice mail, as one would expect at 11pm on Saturday night.

netsol

Mikeyb036
I believe they deliver free, next day by harbor truck.
What goes ups, goes at their expense
They do allow free pickup

You should reach out, have a rep contact you, if you are outside the "harbor truck" area

That should only be an issue with substrates, i would think

It serms there was a inter state call routing problem when you tried to call
There may be a lot of that while the dust settles on 5g updates & routing tables

netsol

Mikeyb036
I believe they deliver free, next day by harbor truck.
What goes ups, goes at their expense
They do allow free pickup

You should reach out, have a rep contact you, if you are outside the "harbor truck" area

That should only be an issue with substrates, i would think

It serms there was a inter state call routing problem when you tried to call
There may be a lot of that while the dust settles on 5g updates & routing tables
i started the thread because for 3 days i had to wait for product to come in to harbor
i second sourced to grimco, A MISTAKE I WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN

thanks for your concern, but i am not looking for any vinyl, i have sources i have been ordering from since 1992 (although i was a repair tech, i had large format printers since the windows NT5 days

MIkeyB036

I'm almost 200 miles from Harbor, and they always deliver next business day, no extra charge, in their own truck. I've been ordering from them since 1998 with very few problems.

I wasn't aware they had any other locations or warehouses, just the headquarters in Sudlersville, Maryland. Their website states, "Your price is always the full price delivered to your door, no hidden charges." Where are you seeing "insane" freight charges?

I just tried both of their numbers and they seem to be working fine. Got their voice mail, as one would expect at 11pm on Saturday night.

I don't know what happened with the phone numbers. Neither one went through.

Maybe the "insane" freight charges were because I do not have an account?

I was wanting to ask if we could drive there and pick the orders up. We do that with Grimco.

Here's my order. If I spend almost $500, I don't want to add $200+ for shipping. Especially when I can go pick it up in 2 hours' driving. And it's very LIGHT WEIGHT substrates! Not even heavy stuff.

Attachments

• Harbor Order.png
    Harbor Order.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 76

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't know what happened with the phone numbers. Neither one went through.

Maybe the "insane" freight charges were because I do not have an account?

I was wanting to ask if we could drive there and pick the orders up. We do that with Grimco.

Here's my order. If I spend almost $500, I don't want to add $200+ for shipping. Especially when I can go pick it up in 2 hours' driving. And it's very LIGHT WEIGHT substrates! Not even heavy stuff.
Those are freight charges. If they offer local delivery they do it for free. For $200 freight, that is not bad.

CVS

Couldn’t agree more, Grimco in Canada is priced good right away but yes ND Graphics is just like you say
I got pricing from both for IJ35. ND Graphics was $100.00 higher. For a while, ND seemed to grasp that they had competition but not any more!

Mr. Signboy

i normally purchase the bulk of my supplies from harbor sales, they deliver every day, no delivery charge
when they are out of stock, we fall back to grimco

i needed a roll of avery mpi3323 ($133.75) they were out of stock for a few days
i called grimco, their price was $184.55. i hung up

i know you can go through a process of having a sales rep assigned your account, and asking them to price match

my question is WHY?

FOR 50 YEARS, in my other businesses, the first time i go through this with a supplier IS THE LAST TIME (I understand grimco will probably survive)

question is, do you have to go through this with every item with grimco? is it just that i don't buy enough & i have made the a**hole list? (they are hoping i will just go away?)

in the old days when we were assembling computers (certainly not the good old days) there were 8 columns in the pricing spreadsheet. vincent, my salesman would NEVER charge me the same price twice,
like he was just making it up. IT ANNOYS ME WHEN THINGS DON'T SIMPLY HAVE A PRICE, without the elaborate dance & begging with a tin cup for a fair price

is it too late to change this to RANT?
That’s how they are here too (seattle area) and my company spends tens of thousands a month with them. I constantly have to call to get better pricing on things. I’m personally not a big fan and try to buy from smaller local vendors as much as possible. Some things they price reasonably but overall, they’re pretty ridiculous.

seattle

i normally purchase the bulk of my supplies from harbor sales, they deliver every day, no delivery charge
when they are out of stock, we fall back to grimco

i needed a roll of avery mpi3323 ($133.75) they were out of stock for a few days
i called grimco, their price was $184.55. i hung up

i know you can go through a process of having a sales rep assigned your account, and asking them to price match

my question is WHY?

FOR 50 YEARS, in my other businesses, the first time i go through this with a supplier IS THE LAST TIME (I understand grimco will probably survive)

question is, do you have to go through this with every item with grimco? is it just that i don't buy enough & i have made the a**hole list? (they are hoping i will just go away?)

in the old days when we were assembling computers (certainly not the good old days) there were 8 columns in the pricing spreadsheet. vincent, my salesman would NEVER charge me the same price twice,
like he was just making it up. IT ANNOYS ME WHEN THINGS DON'T SIMPLY HAVE A PRICE, without the elaborate dance & begging with a tin cup for a fair price

is it too late to change this to RANT?
Yes they are. Thats even not a big deal, I was just looking up floor laminate.
Seal lam from Mybinding supply (just an online retailer no account needed) $867.49
Seal lam from Grimco $1,360.71

Same spec same product is Grimco just a ripoff. I know they bought our Midwest Sign supply.

Why shop Grimco? I see no reason to ever.

LarryB

Grimco is a joke. I used to buy 18" x 24" .080 reflective speed limit signs for $30/ea. pre pandemic. Now they are $97/ea. I'm having to bring those signs back in house now.