Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it heat settings?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by PMG, Mar 27, 2007.

1. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I went over to my Buddy's shop to check out his new printer,and have him test print my logos,we wanted to do a test on a non laminated print,today the ink is dry to the touch,but you can wipe the ink off with a alcohol swab,is this normal for no laminated prints,does it seem something is wrong here?

Tags:
  2. MobileImpact

MobileImpact Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Normal. With the eco-solvent inks. Alcohol is the cleaner. It's what we clean our heads etc with. So it will also clean ink from prints. The good news is, how many people walk around with a spray battle of alcohol with them to destroy your prints? Or you could always laminate.

Have fun with his new toy!

Kevin

3. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Thanks for the info!!!!

4. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I would say that is also somewhat normal. However it shouldn't just wipe right off after 24 hr's. If you rub over it 4-5 times you may get some to come off. Could have a little to do with heat settings, after all part of the purpose of the heat is for adhesion. The New ultra inks require much less heat though that the Plus inks did so it's not quite as critical.

Any where you expect the prints to come into contact with chemicals, Lamination is the best route.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Which type of alcohol are you using? I have found that denatured alcohol will take off almost any ink jet print not laminated

6. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    I run a Mimaki running Triangle full solvent inks, and I can tell you that denatured alcohol absolutley will not remove the ink from my prints. I can scrub the prints with alcohol and have the faint color of ink remaining on the paper towel, but no noticeable difference in the print itself. The solvent that we use is not alcohol for sure.

7. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Isoproply Alcohol swabs 70% that was the first thing on hand,just wanted to see what it would do!! and i found out,LOL

8. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I agree 100% with mwoodson, we use full solvent in our Mimaki, and alcohol, windex, benzine, assorted household cleaners does not remove the ink. We even went as far as leaving it submerge in different cleaners
    over night and, still wouldn't rub off.