• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it me, the Roland SX 12, the vinyl or what?

64Mustang

I'm going to lose my mind or throw this machine out the window. Ok, taking a deep breath......

Some sections are cutting all the way through the backing and some sections are not even barely scoring a line on the vinyl (using Oracal 651). Adjusting the blade depth seems like a wrong choice as something else appears to be going on. If the blade were set too deep then the whole thing would be cutting through the backing, right?

Is the vinyl too curled up from being on the roll? Would the age of the vinyl have anything to do with this? I think not but you never know.

Due to a serious design flaw the stupid cable gets in the way on the right hand side and causes the vinyl to get hooked in the cord grooves so I have to stand there and put my finger under the vinyl so it doesn't get hooked up in the cord. It is cutting the deepest on the right hand side so something is going on with the vinyl. I've tried to put a finger under each edge as it comes out the back to keep it consistent on both the left and the right sides but still it is wrong.

Seriously, someone talk me off the ledge. I'm going crazy and have wasted so much vinyl there is hardly any profit left in this stupid job.

TC49010

1st check the cutter protection strip (long white strip on front) for deep gouges, cut lines etc.. it may need replaced. Temp fix is to take grey tape and place over strip to build up the strip on the side that is not cutting completely. One that is done, you will need to back off the blade depth to barely showing. To fix the cord issue on the back of the cutter..
temp fix... take a small card board box.. cut out area for cord.. top of the box will now act as a table/bench for the vinyl feeding out the back of the cutter and wont get hung up on the cord.

these are 2 things I did with my sx-15

There is a white plastic strip that goes all the way across the cutter where the blade touches. It is called the cutter protection strip. It is probably worn out on the right side because that is where most of the cutting takes place. The left side is probably still in good shape because less cutting happens on that side. That is why your blade cuts too deep on the right side and not deep enough on the left side. Replace your cutter protection strip and everything should be OK.

WVB

Yes check your strip. If that is not it, check the file you are cutting. Sometimes the more detail it is the more the Stika will tear it up. Also I just tapped a piece of paper to the par. cable so that the vinyl would roll right over top of it. Previous SX-12 owner myself.

64Mustang

Well, it's been 8+ hours and I am still trying to cut this $%#@^&*+ job out. I had already replaced the strip first thing even though it didn't look in bad shape.

I have overcome the issue with the vinyl getting hung up on the cable.

I still cannot cut evenly. Cuts through the backing in some places and then not scoring other areas. I'm so upset and frustrated.

Like you couldn't tell I am new to the business and this was a job for my first customer. I was so excited to be off and running and now all I want to do is run off!!!! I've got too much invested to walk away but with 1 whopping sale that I haven't even delivered I can't really afford to get a better cutter.

I really just need this simple cutter for my business. I don't need anything else. I just need desperately for this machine to work. I will order a new blade and see if that helps. I haven't done enough work to wear one out but before I throw this machine out the window I guess I should try replacing the blade.

WVB

What are you trying to cut out? Is this something you have made/typed or is it from clipart? A lot of times clipart cd's you buy from ebay etc. will be double imaged in some areas. So those areas that have doubles will be cut twice. Possibly this is why it is cutting through the paper. So you have made the adjustment for this by setting the blade depth higher. In doing so the places that are single are not getting cut correctly.

64Mustang

Cutting straight text created in the Roland software. Very simple, seemingly straight forward. 3" high letters by 17" long going longwise so I can fit 2 up (across) on my 12" wide machine. Same layout I did before.

If I adjust the blade a small notch higher then I barely even get the material scored. If I leave it where it is then it cuts all the way through and it even then it is a beyotch to weed- not 100% cut.

I have cut sucessfully with FDC calendared but today was using Oracal 651. Went back to do a test on FDC and that is cutting wrong now, too.

Need to find a local guy who will cut this job for me so I can get it delivered.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Do you have another blade? Just went through the same thing here (different machine) before Tia thought to change out the blade with a new one. We could see why it didn't cut well then!! Try it and see if that helps you out.

64Mustang

My husband came home to find a more than usual frantic wife freaking out about this cutter. He's a computer service tech so he gets in there troubleshooting and cleaning wheels, takes the blade holder out, takes it apart, etc and come to find out the blade holder was not screwed in tight enough and was bouncing around while cutting. I had been hand tightening it all day after I adjusted the blade but I guess it wasn't tight enough and came loose while moving back & forth.

Still need to get a spare blade. Wow, only 12 hours of my life wasted. Told husband that on my death bed I'm going to wish I had this wasted day back.

Thanks for all your help and for being here for me in my time of crisis.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Just a note - be careful if you buy blades on ebay. Some of them are just flat crap. We get good blades from this seller "seikitech" but haven't had much luck with blades from other sellers.

64Mustang

What about www.cleancutblade.com? On another sign forums message board the posters all rave about those blades. Ever hear of them?

Roland wants $45 for 1 blade and this guy wants $16. I know you usually get what you pay for in life but c'mon, $45 is crazy.

I will look into your suggestion - thanks.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We've not used cleancutblade but I've heard real good things about them. We've been real happy with the blades we got from seikitech so didn't see a reason to change.

WVB

Ross over at Clean Cut Blade is an incredible nice guy! His blades are the best I have used and won't use anyone else's. Mention you are a signs forum user and you will receive a discount. Let him know The Vinyl Garage sent ya.......

Bigdawg

Just Me
Will - what's the big difference with the Clean Cut blades? If it will improve output I am willing to consider change, we just don't seem to be having any problems with what we are getting now.

WVB

Stacy if you do not experience anything I doubt you will notice anything. The main thing for us is the blade just last a lot longer then other blades we have used from SW or Gregory. Now the blades from SW were just crap and we did notice a much better/smoother cut from Clean Cut Blades.

cleancutblade

Thanks Will!

The main difference in my blades is that I use a better grade of carbide than others do. I am able to get a sharper edge than the most of the other guys. They also last longer. You actually get them for $12.00 and I pay the postage. All I ask is that you give them a fair trial and tell other people that they are what I say they are. I guarantee longer life and better cutting.