• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it normal that my SP540 can not pull heavy media by itself?

kingofwraps

I have to manually feed it if not it will give me a motor error and stop my print..Feedback please...are there any setting or???

Replicator

I would get right on the phone to your supplier/seller of the machine and let them know there's an issue

WARRANTEE ! ! ! ! !

kico-abaco

the printer prints just fine but heavy media like banner material it wont pull the whole roll on its own.

Is it a 50 meter roll?
I have a VP540 and it can handle 30kg of roll material. Whole roll of banner material is about 70kg - no way to handle it, so when I buy a banner roll I cut it to chunks of 15-20 meter and than use it...

advsign22

Some banner material sticks to itself on the roll. If this is the case, yes you will have to unroll it some before the printer feeds itself. Does the roll of banner seem to get tugged up off of the rollers before giving you the error?

ZsVinylInc

I have an SP-540 and the only time I ever got a feed motor error was when I tried to print directly to magnet material a few times. Then I gave up printing directly to magnet material. You know that on the right side of the rollers that is a little hinged brake that you can flip back and down to take friction off of the rollers. It should only be used when you have a very small and light roll so that it does not spool a lot off when it pulls the material.

Malkin

You are using the end-cap holders right? (I have no idea what the part is actually called)
These are the things that stick into the ends of the tubes so there is less friction when rolling on the rollers.

I have only had that issue when try to do a cut-only job and it tries to advance the roll quickly. Normal print jobs with rolls as big as 50yds have not been an issue.

SignPainter

I never liked the idea of a plotter or printer pulling the weight of roll material. I always unroll the material needed and let it drupe across the floor. Floor is always mopped, and keep clean of dirt & dust.

guillermo

that's the best idea Sign painter, I do the same, when the roll seems to stick alot, I do not use the "end cap holder" for the roll, they usually move and the roll (media) falls in the rollers (the metal ones), so I clean those metal rollers and place the media on them feed the media and it will be faster to line up, and when printing I usually unroll the media a lot so the machine will pull it better.

MachServTech

I have run into MANY situations where the roll of banner (and in one case a huge roll of canvas) was too heavy to advance properly through the paper feed rollers. I have seen this in Mutohs, and Rolands. To a lesser degree with Mimaki and Seiko.
Pre feed a few feet of media behind the machine, continue this while you are printing until the roll is a manageable weight.

tanneji

It's a known thing. Roland actually does it in order to sell their own media as it is "weight restricted" (read: much much less actual material) so that it will be light enough to pull the roll. At least the salesman freely admitted that haha

MachServTech

It's a known thing. Roland actually does it in order to sell their own media as it is "weight restricted" (read: much much less actual material) so that it will be light enough to pull the roll. At least the salesman freely admitted that haha

that sounds very conspiracy theory ish...but with Roland I actually believe it.

threeputt

Yep. We free-roll about two yards of material every half hour or so. Until the roll gets down to about 1/3 left.

Roland Sp-540v

spectracolor

last time it did that on my sp540, it was because i didn't use all of the pinch rollers.

You used all of the pinch rollers, right????