• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it okay to use unprinted cast vinyl for a white wrap?

WhatsYourSign?

We're currently doing a job where they want several parts of their car to be wrapped in white, but they don't particularly care what specific shade of white.

Is it okay to use unprinted Avery 1105 for this? Or should we use a more expensive color change white vinyl?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dan360

I did a full colour change from black to white on a Ford Dually, the only print was logo on sides and hood, mostly just white unprinted. I would just laminate it.

equippaint

Doesn't the unprinted vinyl life spec typically exceed the laminate's? No sense in laminating unprinted material except to make it easier to handle if you're technically shortening the lifespan of it. .

Lindsey

Not A New Member
As long as you laminate it, it will work just fine. The vinyl doesn't care if it gets printed on or not.

Doesn't the unprinted vinyl life spec typically exceed the laminate's? No sense in laminating unprinted material except to make it easier to handle if you're technically shortening the lifespan of it. .

I'd definitely want the laminate, myself. Printed or not, it's still a 2 mil film and would be flimsy to work with. I suppose maybe there are some people who might be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to. I would assume a laminate also makes removal easier.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I wouldn't laminate it since laminate tends to burn faster than unprinted film. The down side to unlaminated is a hard install due to less material body to work with.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Tis true. However, it may be easier to just laminate material already on hand vs. ordering and waiting. Costs aren't always the same when you're talking time.
Not to argue, but you would also run the risk of the laminate trapping contaminates and also the laminate burning before the vinyl causing premature failure. You also have the time invested in laminating.

ikarasu

If you don't laminate it, it's paper thin and will scratch and scuff easy...not sure if it's whatever they do to make it print receptive, but anytime it gets touched it seems to absorb all dirt around it.

We always laminate it. We did a full wrap in white and just used 8518 overlam and 180 vinyl.(480 for the bumper) It's been about 3 years and it looks just as good as day one... No yellowing or browning yet.

I can't image trying to wrap something without overlam either... The second you try to stretch it over a curve it's going to just rip.

equippaint

If you don't laminate it, it's paper thin and will scratch and scuff easy...not sure if it's whatever they do to make it print receptive, but anytime it gets touched it seems to absorb all dirt around it.

We always laminate it. We did a full wrap in white and just used 8518 overlam and 180 vinyl.(480 for the bumper) It's been about 3 years and it looks just as good as day one... No yellowing or browning yet.

I can't image trying to wrap something without overlam either... The second you try to stretch it over a curve it's going to just rip.
First if you damage unlaminated vinyl, the same force would damage laminate or damage paint. Laminate protects the ink, thats what its for. Its not going to tear, not going to stain and wont smudge, its essentially the same as cut vinyl.
Theres tons of threads with people complaining about cheapos wrapping without laminate, it gets done by plenty of people. How is it any different from a fleet wrap that only has a liquid lam too? Its nothing but a waste of time and money.

ikarasu

I can only speak for 180, not Avery. I just did it myself to make sure I wasn't crazy...

I cut a 2"x2" piece of 180, and a 2"x2" 180 with overlaminate on it. Attached it to my wall, and I gently rubbed my car keys against it..... The unlaminated got black streaks and a scratch... The laminated had no changes.

Not the most scientific experiment... But in my experience non laminated film is very very flimsy. 3ms product bulletin also says 8518 adds physical as well as uv protection.

Overlam is built stronger than printable vinyl... Yes, it won't protect from deep scratches.. But it'll prevent scratches from people rubbing into it, holding their keys while opening doors... or my 5 year old using it as a hot wheels race track, etc.

Maybe the clear just hides the scratches better. If you scratch the white surface at all it turns Grey.... Where as the clear stays clear all the way through, so it could just be less noticeable and an illusion.

Last edited:

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I cannot compete with the inexpensive wrap shops that have popped up everywhere ($800 - $1000 for a color change wrap). This is a young person's world, and many of these outfits work out of their parent's garage or rent space from a discount tire shop. They use the least expensive cast vinyl they can find, and do not laminate. The results are stunning!