• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is It Slow For Everyone or Is IT Me?

ututjoe

I am trying to figure out how to get in front of builders and contractors without them tell me to take a hike.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated b-4 I go bankrupt.

Joe:cool:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA......................

Don't do it in traffic, it might hurt.​

ututjoe

A little about me, hmmmm!
I am a 24" vinyl shop, using Flexi 7, Illustrator, and a host of other programs to get the job done. I also do some design when called for. I was working for printers and sign makers for the last 30 years, mostly large printers. I bought an existing shop with no employees about 2 months ago.
We relocated to another area and I vowed not to work for someone else again. . . lets see how that works out. I have always wanted my own printing company or sign company and at my age this was my last chance to make it happen. I would hate to be elderly and look back and say I should have given it a try.

Whew! Thats me

Joe

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Contractors are dying on the vine around here.

Our largest customer, a lake and fountain construction and maintenance contractor, was in today picking up some work and told us that everyone in contracting that he knows is on the verge of going under. He, in fact, just took a $16K hit from a builder he subs for that went under. An article in the newspaper states that the builder's business was off by 98% from last year. The 10 projects where my customer provides his services are also in doubt as to continuing the use him.

This sub-prime mess and the real estate bust is going to take years to overcome.

ututjoe

Builders, painters, and the like are going pretty good here. This area is still growing rapidly even though it is not as good as before.

OneUpTenn

With all due respect Fred...they will still needs signs.....such as

"Going Out of Business" "Everything Must Go"

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
For sure there will be a shift in who's going to need signs. Logically, in times like these, people will look to do more maintenance and improvement on what they have instead of moving to something new.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
OneUp, that's very true and at one time was a very smart thing to say. Business is good, whether you're going out of business or business is good.... you have to advertise. The only problem now is.... people go online and get it from Timbucktoo and don't worry about service or quality.... just price.

When once everyone shopped locally..... who was that guy that invented the internet...... now you're literally a few key strokes away. :rolleyes:

high impact

Don't plan on the building trades to continue to be strong even if they are going strong currently locally.

Diversify your clients but focus your strengths in the business.

It's not a good move to relocate a local business after only 2 months ownership - but you have now found that out. You can make it, you just have to determine in your head AND heart that you can. You shouldn't be crying bankruptcy after only owning this business 2 months...something is up. Either with the business or your thoughts - so change your mind and go get the business - you must get creative NOW, not later. Brochures, biz cards, networking, chamber of commerce, knock on doors, letter your own vehicle, windows, etc...

SignManiac

If you are exceptional at what you do, you will never have to look for work. The work will come to you. Be the best you can be or join the army :) That's my new motto I think!

P.S. I learned years ago to stay away from contractors! Not worth the aggravation. They are now in the same category as realtor's and hair dressers.

PMG

Im busy...i just had to fire a customer and hired one after i hung up with the one i fired!!!!!

Craig Sjoquist

even though they do need signs .. try other industrys
times are tough all over so the ones needing signs are business that are ending or the ones doing business
business for the next 6 mths are going to be dropping like flys all over ..the ones that survive are needed

git r dun

ututjoe

Sorry for being confusing, I just bought this existing shop 2 months ago. I am the one who relocated, not the business.
I expected that buying an existing business would be a little easier in the beginning because of the existing custome base. Its there but I am finding out that people get real skiddish when they fine out it has a different owner. I hear it in there tone. I do my best to relax them and form a relationship with them.
One problem is that the previous owner was young and pretty girl and some of the guys are real disappointed when they find out they have to deal with me. Oh well, can't grow breasts

PMG

Attachments

• Big_.jpg
    Big_.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 112
S

SignTech

Sorry for being confusing, I just bought this existing shop 2 months ago. I am the one who relocated, not the business.
I expected that buying an existing business would be a little easier in the beginning because of the existing custome base. Its there but I am finding out that people get real skiddish when they fine out it has a different owner. I hear it in there tone. I do my best to relax them and form a relationship with them.
One problem is that the previous owner was young and pretty girl and some of the guys are real disappointed when they find out they have to deal with me. Oh well, can't grow breasts

Hang in there ... and welcome. We had a great year in 2007 and 2008 is steady ... but slower ........ last week we where slammed still trying to catch up, this week a bit slower.

Definitely can't judge things on 2 months being in business. Despite what optimists say, the economy is jittery right now ... but I think spring will bring people around. As far as being the new "non attractive female owner" lol ......... you'll have to deal with that some other way .......... free coffee? Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bet her feet never get wet in a rainstorm...... Heck, I'll bet she never sees her feet anymore. :wink: