• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is it the Summa/ flexi or to long a usb 2 cord?

gabagoo

I have been running my Summa plotter from my Laptop recently and I tried a 15 foot usb2 cable but it nothing happens so I bought a 6 foot cable and yesterday it was cutting. Today I tried sending a 48" x 72" vinyl cut and 33% in the plotter stops and the program manager is locked at 33% and not sending any more info it seems.
Do you suppose 6' is to long to use too?

tcorn1965

I have been running my Summa plotter from my Laptop recently and I tried a 15 foot usb2 cable but it nothing happens so I bought a 6 foot cable and yesterday it was cutting. Today I tried sending a 48" x 72" vinyl cut and 33% in the plotter stops and the program manager is locked at 33% and not sending any more info it seems.

The limit is supposed to be 16 feet. Although I used to have problems sending large files to T-Jet jumbo 2 via usb2 with a 6' foot cable. I bought a Powered usb hub ($6.00), the problem went away.

I send files to a mimaki Jv3 that's on a 15' usb and have never had a problem.

Terry

gabagoo

i have seen powered usb hubs and they are like $50.00 where do u get them for 6.

The summa just finished cutting the graphic when I switched back to a regular usb 2 cable for a desktop printer although it is tight.

tcorn1965

The reviews on that second hub are not the greatest, I think I would avoid it. The first one works great IMO (I have 2)

Terry

Rooster

There's USB extenders that can run cat5 cables ridiculous lengths and use your USB connections.

I used some of these daisy chained to reach my summa plotter:

Link to product

I've never had a cut job stop part way through. It can take a little while to establish a connection with it sometimes, but it's never cost me a penny in ruined work.

Jim Doggett

Here's good info:

http://www.summa.be/en/faq.php#cq

Good luck,

Jim