• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it too early to talk about the USSC show yet?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Just wondering. It's a month away, and I am already planning on heading down that Friday.

I got an offer from a supplier for free passes into the show (heck yeah, I'll go in on their dime)... So since I'm getting the passes to the show, I'm going to register for the (2) classes that morning.

Who else is headed to AC?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll be there Saturday most of the day.

No seminars, just looking for deals on the floor and I want to say 'hello' to a number of friends and vendors.

Afterwards, probably go to the Borgota.

Joe Diaz

I'll be there Thursday - Saturday morning.

If anyone is interested I have 3 classes I'm teaching on CorelDRAW and Design, although if you don't know CorelDRAW it still may be enjoyable.

FRI DEC 6th - [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9:00 AM - 10:30AM:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]201 - Custom Lettering Effects in CorelDRAW
Instructor: Joe Diaz, Diaz Sign Art
[/FONT]
J[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]oin Joe Diaz as he demonstrates many of the tips and tricks he uses in CorelDRAW when creating custom lettering styles and effects for sign making and graphic design. This seminar will also touch on proper design practices involving color, contrast, negative space and more to insure that the effects you use won't negatively affect the legibility of your design.
Room 411, 4th Floor, Atlantic City Convention Center
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]FRI DEC 6th - [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3:15 PM - 4:45 PM:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]207 - Create & Sell Logo Designs Using CorelDRAW
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Join Joe Diaz, one of eight official "CorelDRAW Masters" as he walks you through his process of selling and designing logos in a sign shop setting. This seminar will include a CorelDRAW walk through, however many of the concepts taught can be used with other design software suites.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SAT DEC 7th - 9:30 AM - 11:00AM:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]301 - Creating a Custom Wrap Design in CorelDRAW
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Join Joe Diaz as he discusses effective wrap design. He will walk you through designing a custom wrap using CorelDRAW and discuss some of the do's and don't's of vehicle advertising. Joe has achieved the status as one of only eight official "CorelDRAW Masters."

[/FONT]Other than that I'm looking forward to sitting in on some of the other seminars, especially Ray Chapman's as his classes are always great.

LEGEND

Just curious, where is this being held at? and can someone point me to wherever I can look at shows going on in the west coast?

Dan Antonelli

I'll be down on Friday, signing copies of my new book at the Beacon Graphics booth 10-30-12, and 2-3:30. Hope to see some of you there!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen such a pathetic show. :covereyes:

No idea how the seminars went, but the Bull Pen down to the booths....... unless you wanted LED's or a deal on a printer..... this show was a complete waste.
Said hello to a bunch of people I know and left within an hour.

Years ago, I couldn't see enough from 10am til 4pm and felt rushed.

Afterwards, went to the Revel and had a blast. Good food, good drinks and made a little extra money. :wink:

Talk was, they might cut this show down to once every other year, but even at that, lotsa vendors said they wouldn't come back.

Joe Diaz

For me it's all about the quality of people there, not so much quantity. I know I kept myself quite busy reconnecting with good friends and meeting new ones. Yeah we weren't really in the market to buy much of what was on the showroom floor since we are pretty specialized. I've been to much larger shows before and felt the same way. But I certainly learned a lot from my fellow craftsman at the USSC show. I guess it just depends on your perspective and attitude. I wonder if merging the show with another similar industry's show might help, or even doing it a different time of the year... not so close to the holidays? I definitely would love to see it grow and continue on. I don't often get over in that neck of the woods. I love the folks here in the Midwest, but it's nice to get out and meet people that don't often attend the events and functions over here. I'm glad I went.:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you go the last few years? They have all sucked. I wanted to go, but it wasn't worth taking a day off for.

I missed last year. I know it's been getting smaller, but less then 1/2 the room was used and it was spread out to make it appear larger. Just too bad, I guess.

Joe, they did that back in September or so. They held a large show in Philly [only 40 miles east of Atlantic City] which took in 3 different areas and according to many of the vendors who were there, it was a total failure. Your being a speaker means something different compared to the people coming to a show of this nature for product. Your people in yours and others classes came for your product..... knowledge and lessons. Many others come for product information and for us..... it was always the best show because they always 'wheeled and dealed' because of the end of the year and you could make some great tax deals for year's end in your business. I was at the shows from back when it was still on the boardwalk at the old convention center and it was fantastic. That was in the 80's and not a computer driven anything was there. It was all sheer talent and product with deals flying, while giveaways every 15 minutes over the loudspeakers. No Gerber, Roland, or LED's were around. There would be like 35 trucks and booths were next to each other like row-homes in a city. Nothing like the wide open spaces of this show. When it moved into the new convention center, it remained large, but in the last 5 years, it's basically just a reunion and a look at some printers or LED's. I saw 3 guys painting back in the Bull Pen and all they were doing was microscopic detail work. Without glasses I couldn't see it. There was certainly talent there, but I only saw one guy swinging a brush and he was an old timer. I forget his name at the moment.

You're right, connections were made, but regardless of your perception, it was hardly what I'd call a sign show. :dog42

fresh

They held a large show in Philly [only 40 miles east of Atlantic City] which took in 3 different areas and according to many of the vendors who were there, it was a total failure.

I went to that trade show, and it was better than last year's USSC event.

rjpjr

I've never seen such a pathetic show. :covereyes:
....... unless you wanted LED's or a deal on a printer..... this show was a complete waste.
COMPLETELY agree with this assessment.
...and left within an hour.
You were lucky... I was there for 2 days!!! :frustrated: :banghead:
Luckily I did attend Joe Diaz and Ray Chapman's seminars or else it would have been a total bust.
Talk was, they might cut this show down to once every other year, but even at that, lotsa vendors said they wouldn't come back.
I heard both vendors and attendees make the same claims.
Put a fork in it.
It is done.
What a shame.