• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Is it unreasonable to turn these projects down?

ikarasu

It's like speeding. You know it's wrong and there's a fine... But everyone does it. Some people cuss at the cops giving them a ticket... Some know they were skirting the rules and took the risk.

The Law is black and white. You're not allowed to reproduce someone's artwork without their consent... Proffit or no. In Canada the maximum fine is $5000 for non commercial infringement... Not enough to even cover the corporations lawyers. So they don't go after you for reasons unless it's hurting their business. In America... They can sue you for every penny you have, take your home, your vehicle... And in some cases even jail you.

I cant decide what's legal or not, and I can't decide what's right or wrong for you... Just myself. And if I get hit with a fine, whether it's the $100 minimum or $5000 maximum... I'd be bummed, but I know the consequences and accept the responsibility.

USA is a bit too strict on copyright. And money makes it more strict. Copyright is to encourage innovation... Yet every time the copyright extension deadline is up, Disney lobbies and gets another 25 years added to protect their precious mouse. It went from protecting innovation to making the rich richer.

It's a complicated issue. That's why everyone needs to decide for themselves what they think is right or not. And if you go beyond what disney thinks is right....they can take you to court and have a jury of your peers decide.

Personaly, business wise I follow the law to a T. Not because I believe they're right... But because of what you can lose by not doing so. I may skirt it a bit ifnim doing a freebie for a friend... But never for proffit. If disney wants to come after me because I purchased a 25" wall decal... The only size available, blew it up and reprinted it at 4 ft on a vinyl I know won't tear chunks out of my wall... Let them. I did my best effort to pay them and the company who makes the product for their work. If they allowed me to do it properly would. I've contacted a few companies and asked for permission - youd be surprised. The smaller not multi billion companies don't mind and give permission to use their artwork for personal projects...Disney sent me a link on how to do it officially... Let's just say I don't have millions to get started, even if they weren't "full" on applications.

WildWestDesigns

Personaly, business wise I follow the law to a T. Not because I believe they're right... But because of what you can lose by not doing so. I may skirt it a bit ifnim doing a freebie for a friend... But never for proffit. If disney wants to come after me because I purchased a 25" wall decal... The only size available, blew it up and reprinted it at 4 ft on a vinyl I know won't tear chunks out of my wall... Let them. I did my best effort to pay them and the company who makes the product for their work. If they allowed me to do it properly would. I've contacted a few companies and asked for permission - youd be surprised. The smaller not multi billion companies don't mind and give permission to use their artwork for personal projects...Disney sent me a link on how to do it officially... Let's just say I don't have millions to get started, even if they weren't "full" on applications.

See, to me, owning a certain property, IP whatever, means that you own it. Decide it's use case, how it's used etc. To me, that's apart of owning something.

While you may have a very specific niche use case, that doesn't mean that there is enough of that exact use case to warrant mass production of that SKU. To me, that's their right to decide. May or may not be smart, may not like it, but it's still their property to decide that.

It's also their right to have a 1 time use license for their stuff as well or not.

It may suck, but life isn't always fair.

ikarasu

It's their right... but it doesn't mean "They're right". I can go on Ebay or china and buy whatever print I need of whatever size. Especially from China... piracy is so rampant you can get your hands on anything.

It's the MP3 / Netflix debacle all over again. They don't want to give up an inch of control... With printers being so easy to buy, exporting from china so easy to do... They're losing money. Imagine if they had a set of stock images that any printer could print from - They'd take in a ton of royaltys. I know it's not that simple... You'd have Spiderman strip joints, incredible hulk endorsed beer... Etc. But the times are changing, and as usual companies dig their heels in instead of adapt.

I forsee in the future, hopefully soon... the model changes. One centralized place, or even many places to purchase images to use in approved ways? That'd increase revenue for them, and printing shops by quite a bit. We're not there yet... Maybe we never will be. But studios are all starting their own streaming services and music services... Hopefully they see the potential and benefit. It just takes 1 Exec / Studio to have the idea and implement it... and all will follow.

Hopefully one day before I'm dead, or out of the printing business it happens. It sucks that I can buy https://www.amazon.com/RoomMates-RM...rman+wall+art&qid=1556744527&s=gateway&sr=8-2 and throw it up on my wall for $15... Hell, you can get them at the dollar store for $3. and have to look at a million seams and shitty print/cut quality... but if I buy it for $15, reprint it as 1 piece on real wall vinyl thats removable and throw it in my kids room... I'm breaking the law and can be fined. I know thats the way it is... I just don't think that should be the way it is. Not my property, and not my call... Just someone who enjoys TV/Video game chars and wish I could get legitimate, approved artwork for my "mancave"

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I tell these people to go to Third Monday's Trade Days in McKinney. There's a dude with a plotter that will cut you anything you want for a few bucks.

WildWestDesigns

It's their right... but it doesn't mean "They're right".

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Just like following the law doesn't mean that you agree with it. However, until it changes, it is what it is.

Imagine if they had a set of stock images that any printer could print from - They'd take in a ton of royaltys. I know it's not that simple... You'd have Spiderman strip joints, incredible hulk endorsed beer... Etc.

Considering that you can get embroidery machines (home machines) pre-loaded with Disney items and that mess that that has created, I think it will be a while before they do anything like that.

Of course, with the politics that are being injected into the MCU, may not be as valuable in a few yrs as it is now.

... Just someone who enjoys TV/Video game chars and wish I could get legitimate, approved artwork for my "mancave"

I'm also a big fan of TV/Video game characters. But also as someone that has created 2D platform games (as well as several animated shorts, working on 3D game versions) for my kids, I prefer to have my own characters in my mancave and in my kids rooms. And as the added bonus, don't have to worry about anyone coming after me. Now granted these characters aren't going to be known outside the family or the people that know I've created this stuff, but that's alright.