• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is my calculator wrong

Ok, this has driven me crazy for years. I have one supplier that over charges ( unless my calculator is wrong) my tax amount.
for example the bill is 678.07 and the tax is $88.16 but when I calculate 678.07 by 13% I get $88.15
the bill today was 374.95 and tax is 48.75 when is should be 48.74
How many decimal points do you all go to? I have had bills up to 4 cents more and I have had a couple that where less 1 cent than what should have been charged, but not many
Now I know we are talking pennies here but this has been going on for years. I deduct the difference and add the difference on all the bills and I have brought it up ( I actually write it on the chq why my amount does not match the invoice amount but nobody seems to care there or fix it.
Ok that's my rant for the day, check your bills

reQ

Its almost always go to the nearest number. After Canada eliminated pennies, thats how most system work now.

Example:

1) 48.74 -> 48.75
2) 48.73 -> 48.75
3) 48.72 -> 48.70
4) 48.71 -> 48.70

Its almost always go to the nearest number. After Canada eliminated pennies, thats how most system work now.

Example:

1) 48.74 -> 48.75
2) 48.73 -> 48.75
3) 48.72 -> 48.70
4) 48.71 -> 48.70

But this has been going on for 15+ years, and I only round up or down when we are talking cash not invoice paid by chq

a77

Really? Here, also in Canada, the rounding only applies to cash payments. If you are paying cheque/credit then you go to the nearest penny.
As for what signed off is talking about, I think you are right that it should be $88.15 for that first example.

I think after so many years of your supplier ripping you off, you should demand they reimburse you! Might be about to a beer's worth of $$.

Example:

1) 48.74 -> 48.75
2) 48.73 -> 48.75
3) 48.72 -> 48.70
4) 48.71 -> 48.70

Really? Here, also in Canada, the rounding only applies to cash payments. If you are paying cheque/credit then you go to the nearest penny.
As for what signed off is talking about, I think you are right that it should be $88.15 for that first example.

I think after so many years of your supplier ripping you off, you should demand they reimburse you! Might be about to a beer's worth of $$.

I deduct the amount before I write the chq so they don't owe me

ikarasu

Sounds like the plot of Superman III/Office Space.

I was going to say... your time is worth more than a penny, pulling out that calculator and checking... I wouldn't bother. But I bet thats what they want you to do! If they do it to every customer.. And its a big supplier... thats an extra decent chunk of cash.

Call up and ask? Maybe it's an error in their software... Maybe they'll throw you some freebies for pointing it out. See what they say?

shoresigns

Ok, this has driven me crazy for years. I have one supplier that over charges ( unless my calculator is wrong) my tax amount.
for example the bill is 678.07 and the tax is $88.16 but when I calculate 678.07 by 13% I get $88.15
the bill today was 374.95 and tax is 48.75 when is should be 48.74
How many decimal points do you all go to? I have had bills up to 4 cents more and I have had a couple that where less 1 cent than what should have been charged, but not many
Now I know we are talking pennies here but this has been going on for years. I deduct the difference and add the difference on all the bills and I have brought it up ( I actually write it on the chq why my amount does not match the invoice amount but nobody seems to care there or fix it.
Ok that's my rant for the day, check your bills

$48.75 is correct if you're adding 5% GST ($18.75) and 8% PST ($30.00) to a sale of $374.95. Maybe someone forgot to update the tax formula in your supplier's system when they made the HST update?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Here in the states we don't pay sales tax on supplies or materials from distributors, but charge sales tax on the end product once it's converted into something like a sign. Here in NJ it's 7%

Curious if I'm reading this right, so if you buy $1,000 worth of vinyl from your sign supply house you pay 13% tax on top?
and if so, do you charge sales tax again after you sell the sign?

reQ

Here in the states we don't pay sales tax on supplies or materials from distributors, but charge sales tax on the end product once it's converted into something like a sign. Here in NJ it's 7%

Curious if I'm reading this right, so if you buy $1,000 worth of vinyl from your sign supply house you pay 13% tax on top?

Depends on province, but yes. For example, here in Saskatchewan we pay 10% (5% GST + 5% PST) when buying materials. And yes, we are charging both gst & pst after we sell end product. But when we do taxes, we get our money back on GST (if company is incorporated, you also get PST back) for materials that you bought.

shoresigns

Here in BC, we pay 5% federal GST on everything we order from our suppliers, but resellers are exempt from paying the 7% provincial PST. When we sell to the end user, we add both taxes, so yes the federal government gets to double dip.

In Ontario their federal and provincial taxes are "harmonized" into one 13% tax called HST, and I have no idea whether they get a resale exemption.

EDIT: The previous post seems to contradict what I said about GST. Is there a GST exemption for resellers? I don't do the accounting here, so maybe there is.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Metric money is so confusing.
I'm just glad time is still measured in US standard units.

wayne k
guam usa

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
At the typical hourly rate, you just exceeded everything you've been overcharged, just by typing and replying to your post. Not bein' snarky...just sayin'.

JB