• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is my Summa a lemon?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we’ve had an ongoing issue for a while now with our S2 T160.

For clarity we’ve had the summa in 3 different pc’s via USB and Ethernet. Also had it not connected to any PC and it still plays up. We’re using onyx 19 (With SCC) and winplot to send cut files. All softwares and firmwares are on the latest version(s).

Initially we seemed to have memory issues. We had a 23’ job that had to be done in one go, i turned on OPOS panneling due to the nature of the job and it would only ever read about 2-3/7 of the marks before seemingly forgetting where it was at/what it was doing and giving up. Then we’d load the other side so 6/7 of the job would be cut aside from the panel in the middle. Typical. Tech came out for that and didn’t really get it sorted but we got the job done.

A week or so later it started playing up even more, it would now start freezing very frequently. Even when no USB or Ethernet were connected. The timing of the freezing is also very intermittent. No consistency. It would freeze half way through a job, or as soon as you’ve loaded a roll. Or anywhere in between.

We then had to turn off autoload, as every time it started trying to check the roll it would freeze. If it was moving the roll whilst doing so, it would empty the ENTIRE roll onto whatever side of the machine it was winding the media when it froze. It now freezes frequently during cut jobs and also throws the entire roll of media out whichever side it pleases.

Then came the cut off, approx 7 times out of 10 when I load a new sheet or roll, it will now try to do a “cut off” where it would cut a completed job off. It does this without being asked and it pretty much always cuts off or on the barcode destroying the last part of the sheet. Naturally I can load it the other way and salvage some of the sheet, but it’s still hugely irritating.

Then came the freezing during cut jobs while the knife was down, we’ll say it’s cutting a circle when it freezes. The head module continues whichever way it was going, with the knife still down and still pulling the media, scratching all my prints until I turn it off. Sometimes it will throw the head at the side the power cable is at and put the blade down as hard as it can into the cutting strip (this sounds like an aeroplane is taking off in the print room)

We struggled for a while to get an engineer due to COVID (2 months!) but eventually got one out, they changed the head module and the main board. Worked fine for 20 mins then went right back to normal. There really isn’t much to these machines so other than the two motors they’ve replaced everything that would make sense.

Last we heard from the tech is we made a backup file and they’re sending directly to summa to have a look.

My question, did I get a lemon or are some of these problems normal summa S Class problems? We’ve had it for a year or so and the freezing has been pretty much since day one. All the other problems are from the last 6 months or so.

If anyone has any similar problems and can help guide us to a fix, that would be great. I’ve literally got it running with everything I can feasibly turn off, turned off just now. Media sensors, autoload etc. And typical that this is the busiest the summa has ever been during the Coronacrisis lol

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I don't own a Summa so will just ask a generic question... how is the power quality in your area?
Would it be worth installing a UPS to shield the machine from any fluctuations which can sometimes cause "weird" behaviour in electrical devices?

greysquirrel

there should not be any memory issues. Cut only files have no size to them at all. Is this on print/cut files? If so why not use Onyx Cut Server? You can save your files to I believe a csv and send them through cut server...this bypasses win plot all together.
It certainly seems as though that was a lot of parts to be replaced from a 1 year old unit. They should have a 3 tear warranty on them. I would speak with Summa directly. They may require you to ship the unit back for repair but that may be your best option.

Bly

Our similar model oposcam was exhibiting some weirdness a while back and after lots of headscratching and service calls we reverted to an older firmware which solved the issues.
This was suggested by the US service team.
Could be a simple thing to try anyway.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I don't own a Summa so will just ask a generic question... how is the power quality in your area?
Would it be worth installing a UPS to shield the machine from any fluctuations which can sometimes cause "weird" behaviour in electrical devices?

We already do that for any new machines installed, but it was running fine for the first little while aside from being generally clunky and freezing sometimes.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
there should not be any memory issues. Cut only files have no size to them at all. Is this on print/cut files? If so why not use Onyx Cut Server? You can save your files to I believe a csv and send them through cut server...this bypasses win plot all together.
It certainly seems as though that was a lot of parts to be replaced from a 1 year old unit. They should have a 3 tear warranty on them. I would speak with Summa directly. They may require you to ship the unit back for repair but that may be your best option.

the usual workflow is onyx -> onyx cut server -> summa cutter control. But most of this weirdness happens even when the cutter isn’t plugged into a pc which leads me to believe it’s not that.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Our similar model oposcam was exhibiting some weirdness a while back and after lots of headscratching and service calls we reverted to an older firmware which solved the issues.
This was suggested by the US service team.
Could be a simple thing to try anyway.

I did think about that. I don’t usually update the firmware etc until I actually experience problems so I’m going to assume we had the problems on the older firmware too. I’ll suggest that as well though. Thanks!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Definitely sounds like something electrical or firmware related - that's a long list of random issues.

I can't comment on the newer models like yours, but we have an older S140T and it has never done anything like that. Once we got the hang of it (and all of CutServer's quirks) it has been very reliable.

Have you had the discussion with your dealer and/or Summa about a replacement unit? Sounds like it's been costing you lots of time, materials and headaches.

To answer your question, from what you've described I would have to say you must have a lemon.

Hope you get it sorted out and get back to reliable cutting!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Same plotter, have some of the same issues. My biggest one is tracking. I can not run anything over 5' long half the time with it running askew and butchering the whole job. YES I have cleaned the pinch wheels. YES I I use them all on any size roll. I ran a big job the past 2 days with a full roll of vinyl, on the spindles, rolling on the collars on the back rollers. Runs perfectly straight for a while, then I send a long run and by the time it is done the vinyl has travelled an inch one direction and cuts don't line up. Starting to hate this plotter.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Ours actually tracks relatively well. That or it doesnt have enough time to lose track because it’s busy freezing and spitting the entire roll into the front basket?

the only issue we have with tracking/media slipping is with the anti slip floor vinyl but I think it just does that out of irony