• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is their a shortcut to toggle between two tools

Andy_warp

If you need that type of efficiency in drawing you might as well get some flavor of cad. (I use Rhino)

I can fly with the command prompt...for most things you just start typing and commands come up.
I don't think EVEN the highly advanced Corel draw can hang, efficiency wise.

I don't remember life without key commands...I do however catch myself trying to type "rectangle" in Illy to make a rectangle.
Also catch myself trying to orbit around a 3d design when it's only a screen capture...Doh!

I'll typically do most of my linework in Rhino and put the lipstick on in Illustrator.
They play pretty well together as far as how curves are communicated and translated.

WildWestDesigns

I can fly with the command prompt...for most things you just start typing and commands come up.
I don't think EVEN the highly advanced Corel draw can hang, efficiency wise.

Gotta love the CLI.

Not many programs have that interface built in. I have one digitizing program that does (pictured). Inkscape has the XML editor (my python embroidery script takes advantage of that).
It's a wondrous thing.

Attachments

• CLI.png
    CLI.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 180

Andy_warp

Gotta love the CLI.

Not many programs have that interface built in. I have one digitizing program that does (pictured). Inkscape has the XML editor (my python embroidery script takes advantage of that).
It's a wondrous thing.
I loved Illustrator until I saw the power of cad. I still like them both…but for accuracy, it's cad.
Check out some of the stuff you can do with Grasshopper. It's a free plug-in for Rhino, and it is POWERFUL!

Parametrics is where it is at!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I loved Illustrator until I saw the power of cad. I still like them both…but for accuracy, it's cad.
Check out some of the stuff you can do with Grasshopper. It's a free plug-in for Rhino, and it is POWERFUL!

Parametrics is where it is at!!!

So since the OP designs basic - flat promotional signage with the use of a space bar, shortcuts, basic dimension and drop shadows, he now needs to use a propagation-based system that computes from known to unknowns with a dataflow model or maybe use a constraint system which solve sets of continuous and discrete constraints?

I'm pretty sure the OP does what most promotional sign designers do... draws a box, types copy and moves vectors around 100 times faster than an Illustrator user...

Don't get Rhino 3D... Use Corel if it suits your needs... I prefer Illustrator with CadTools because I design more than promotional signage... for my more discerning clients, Sketch-up for some renderings - now, I'm not saying you can't do it with Corel, its just that Corel's workflow for my type of work is not as efficient.

Last edited:

MikePro

HotDoor CadTools for Illustrator is our go-to. LOVE IT!
....also lets you add shortcut keys for its functions, via Illustrator keyboard shortcuts menu.

Andy_warp

So since the OP designs basic - flat promotional signage with the use of a space bar, shortcuts, basic dimension and drop shadows, he now needs to use a propagation-based system that computes from known to unknowns with a dataflow model or maybe use a constraint system which solve sets of continuous and discrete constraints?

I'm pretty sure the OP does what most promotional sign designers do... draws a box, types copy and moves vectors around 100 times faster than an Illustrator user...

Don't get Rhino 3D... Use Corel if it suits your needs... I prefer Illustrator with CadTools because I design more than promotional signage... for my more discerning clients, Sketch-up for some renderings - now, I'm not saying you can't do it with Corel, its just that Corel's workflow for my type of work is not as efficient.
My art layouts need to match up with our shop drawings...so it's a needed tool. We create many curved frames for pillowcase covers. Rhino allows me to develop surfaces and locate obstruction zones for other booth elements. We also have to work at scale considering our grand format workflow. Also nice to go straight to CNC...but ultimately it ensures I am working with the same geometry as fabrication. Illustrator is awesome, but I can draw the nuts and bolts of a thing at any scale and in any measurement system twice as fast. With a keyboard.