• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a better way? (I am sure there is)

In Print

I am printing heavy magnet on a flatbed (CET500Q) as we had been told multiple times that running this heavy material was impossible on a roll fed machine plus on long runs the registration would slip and we cut digitally...
The rolls are about 80lbs each so I am sure a hybrid flatbed can manage it, if it can manage banner material.
Main question is, is it true that I will have the registration issue? Would I have to do major work to the machine so magnetic roll doesn't stick.
I just feel we are losing time on the loading and unloading. As well as doing it a second time on the cutting table.
Any suggestions? As we are looking at a new cutter I want to incorporate the roll idea so we can swap printers later if it is applicable.

In Print

Just so I understand...you're currently printing on a true flatbed, but are wondering if you can move it to a hybrid? If the weight is within the media handling specifications, (which sounds like they are), why not try it and see what happens? If you're worried about the areas that are steel (I'm not sure which hybrid printer you're referring to) just put some premask on them so the magnet doesn't pull while feeding. If you have the option of feeding the stock through (without printing) I would try that first before you start risking headstrikes.

Hopefully that makes sense and works, as I'm also hoping to print magnet stock with a R2R UV printer soon.

Yeah, it makes and I am really wondering if I made a mistake.With the rate of our production I am wondering how much time I am losing. Figure I go through about 350'-400' a day now and I wonder how much I can bump it up to.
Really don't know if I can change the printer now but would make sure a new cutter supports it. And I gues next printer do a Hybrid or sell this? Not sure selling is an option at this point.

omgsideburns

I imagine it would need a take up that doesn't just pick up the slack but keeps some tension on it. Even printing mags on the gerber edge with punch/sprocket feed sometimes takes a hands on approach to avoid a mess.

In Print

So I just asked the company that we were dealing with and it turns out that they dont make a roll to roll/Hybrid with Ricoh heads. I wouldve had to go to Spectra - but not enough details.
Now they have a new head - the Kyocera but they are ridiculously expensive...
I guess we will make the best of the situation as of now and re-investigate when we get to new machines. For now we are starting to get the material sheeted so at least to minimize that timing. So we dont have to cut rolls down....