• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a big difference between Q54 and FC8000-54

Dennis422

Cutter/plotter question

I'm looking to get a bigger cutter. Right now I have Graphtec CE5000-60 and want to get 54" model.
Looked locally for used ones, looked further away too for used ones but the shipping is killing any decent deals so I'm really close to a decision to get a new one.

I have a pretty for quote for Q54 from Sign Warehouse and I'm getting a few more quotes for a Graphtec, Mutoh and Mimaki cutters.
Would you guys suggest or point me to a good or bad things about your cutter. I know that Q54 is rebranded Graphtec, but I wandered if the Graphtec is worth extra money.

I have Graphtec and I like everything but the media handling (Sometimes it pops out and gets out of alignment) but I think that might be an issue with CE models.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dennis422

Also, is there a need for 600g of pressure? Q54 maxes out on 400 and Graphtec and Mutoh go up to 600.
My goal if to focus mainly on vehicle graphics and occasionally do some regular vinyl signage.

Is it 600 grams of pressure a must or that is handy with specific materials.

TIA

Snydo

I have been using the 8000 for about 8 months, and I like it alot. Fast, accurate, and seems to handle most medias very well. As for the grams of pressure, I don't know of any vinyl or vinyl/lam combo that it couldn't handle.

SlightlyChilled

I had a Q for a bit I like Roland better. But that's not what you asked... From what I have been told the Q-cutters are rebranded Graphtec's now that being said from what I was doing they will not use the same drivers. Now If I recall you might be able to re-flash the Q but why bother. They both are a little noisy like the motors growl when idle. But Roland whistle from the fans inside. mostly because they can sing HAHAHA

CP Signs

We ordered a Q from signwarehouse, and their PrismJet printer and actually got the Mutoh ValueJet and the fc8000. A friend ordered a few weeks after us and got their brand. I guess it depends what they have in stock. Lol. All that to say that I used his Q, and it's the exact same as my fc8000. Yes, firmware might be different but the outcome was the same. Every part for it is Graphtec.

401Graphics

no difference. and yes the motors sometimes make a faint noise when idle, but its rare, and only when loaded.
Cutting speed will blow a roland away! :wink:

DIGITAL DESIGNS

Q54

I have been using the q54 for 4 years now. I love it. Very fast and accurate. I also have a graftec ce 5000. I have used the graftec 2 times and just hate it. It will not perf cut. I like to use only 1 piece of equipment at at time and I love the q54.

amw

Longtime Members
We have had a FC8000 since shortly after they came out. We love it, not a single issue.
We use it to cut everything from reflective cut viny to printed contour cut graphics on just about every type of vinyl and it finds the reg marks everytime.
I would buy it agan if we needed to.

Never tried to cut window tint on it, but have heard it does a great job.

C

ColoPrinthead

I had an FC8000 at my last place of employment and it had issues reading the registrations mark fairly regularly. We actually put a cloth "skirt" around the carriage to help minimize the light reflecting from the lam on digital prints. If I were buying I would consider it but look into other options first. I would certainly want to test out what I was buying beforehand.

One annoying issue was having the roll pop up the pressure levers of the grit rollers; this cost me a few prints but really was just a minor annoyance (if I had tight deadlines it would have been infuriating). I wound up rigging some rubber bands to them, but I don't like having to do that sort of thing and they still would lift. I was regularly cutting about 10-15 ft at a time.

signage

The down side to the Q series is it is a rebranded Graphtec and support is only from the rebrander, Not Graphtec!

401Graphics

One annoying issue was having the roll pop up the pressure levers of the grit rollers; this cost me a few prints but really was just a minor annoyance (if I had tight deadlines it would have been infuriating). I wound up rigging some rubber bands to them, but I don't like having to do that sort of thing and they still would lift. I was regularly cutting about 10-15 ft at a time.

I used zip ties on mine, Never happened again