• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a latex respirator anyone can recommend?

ThatGriffGuy

this is an interesting post. I was under the impression the point of latex inks was that they did not produce hazardous fumes...

this is an interesting post. I was under the impression the point of latex inks was that they did not produce hazardous fumes...
Been printing for over 10 years with 54" and 64" printers...the first 7 years on eco solvent rolands but have switch to HP the last 3 years...The odor can be very strong but I'm wondering if
anyone has a solution with a mask or respirator there’s many online not sure which is best for our industry?

Last edited:

AF

Call 3M. They have a chart on their website showing which chemicals are filtered by which respirator. I don’t recall seeing latex on the chart but it has been some time since reviewing it. Carbon filters could be what you need.

ThatGriffGuy

I do agree with you on the odor being strong, just don't think its medically harmful. The shop I used to work at had 2 64" latex in a 15x15 room and the smell was a bit much when they were both running.

AKwrapguy

Been printing for over 10 years with 54" and 64" printers...the first 7 years on eco solvent rolands but have switch to HP the last 3 years...The odor can be very strong but I'm wondering if
anyone has a solution with a mask or respirator there’s many online not sure which is best for our industry?

We just switched to latex about a year ago. My co-worker said that they smell like an MRI machine, but I very rarely noticed a smell, what are you printing on when you smell it the most?

particleman

It is more likely what you are printing on. We print on IJ35c mostly on our latex and it really doesn't have a smell in my opinion.

ikarasu

Being harmful, and being irritating doesn't always fall under the same Category.

Some people are sensitive to latex... Just like some people have Allergies. The smell could be causing problems.

I would call 3M And ask them. Odds are any of their filters would work... I'd buy one with replaceable ones, then if one doesnt work for you... just switch the filters out,

We do lots of screen printing, and its mandatory to get our masks tested yearly. Part of that test is they come in, look at all our chemicals and tell us what mask we should be using.

3M™ Particulate Filter 2091/07000(AAD), P100 100 EA/Case | 3M United States

This is the one they've recommended for us - We do lots of latex paint work, so I imagine it'd be the same for the printers... But again, speak to any 3M rep and they will let you know whats best,

Most of the filters are $5-10, so once you buy the actual mask that takes P100... Testing which filter works best for you is cheap enough. Most of the masks are pretty hard to breath in long term though... Maybe 10-20 minutes top, before you start feeling discomfort. So I hope you dont plan on sitting there wearing it all day!

chester215

Just call me Chester.
It could be the material you are using, we have found some to be very stinky when exposed to the heat of a latex machine.
It was mostly the cheap materials.
Switched materials, no more smell.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Fun fact, latex ink is not what most people think it is. It has nothing to do with the latex rubber like the gloves and balloons which is why you don't have to worry about latex allergies with this ink. Latex just refers to a solution of polymers in an aqueous solution. It's closer to plastic than a rubber.

DerbyCitySignGuy

What do you guys recommend for 10 ft banner less odor?

Outsourcing.

Seriously though, you're going to get some variety of stink no matter what process you use. UV inks stink in their own unique way, solvent inks will melt your nose hairs, ecosolvents stink, latex inks stink. They all stink to some degree.