• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a no overlaminate option to help protect digital prints from flatbed?

Signsup

We purchased a flatbed a few months ago and love it! But I was wondering if there is a good option for giving some extra protection to Diabond prints without overlaminating. Is there a spray or something?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
And I apologize, I'm not trying to be a pr*ck, but half the requests on here would be eliminated if everyone would use a search engine of their liking and seek the info they need.

10sacer

Ok - he's being a little bit of a pr_ck, but I get what he's saying. How many times a month does someone get on here and ask what is the best flatbed to buy?

When you ask a question in a designated forum you tend to get more direct answers than just using Google.
I am on my 3rd flatbed and have been down your path before. Anything you have to spray or roll on will eventually suck over time both in usage and application.
Try getting an even coat with a brush or roller over a 4x8 board without picking up all the particles that float around in your air.
There used to be several versions of liquid coaters from Drytac and Neschen and the sort, but some of them have gotten out of the coating business.
They are basically UV-cured coaters, as well.
Are you using the digital grade aluminum composite panel? It tends to have better adhesion. What printer are you using? What inkset? What is your cure power? How new are your bulbs? I am guessing you are asking this because your ink is scratching off too easily?
Some version of Durst ink sticks to Dibond like glue whereas some inks from Vutek flake right off.

But yes - you can use Frog Juice or any iteration of Clearstar liquid lam and it will work.

Have fun...

T_K

Google is great for finding out what options there are. It's not as good for finding out what other sign people would personally recommend, which I think is what OP was really trying to find out.

You do have to know what terms to google, too. If you're not sure what something's called, you can waste a lot of time on Google.

But, you can still search the forums here first.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I say...... let'em come here and ask their questions a hundred times a week. Ever notice, regardless of how the question is asked, it always receives different answers according to who answers ?? In fact, some people answer differently two days after answering it another way........ ?? The answers are what makes me laugh. I've always said, I come here mostly for the entertainment..... and if it wasn't for these people, there'd be no entertainment. :thumb:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Google is great for finding out what options there are. It's not as good for finding out what other sign people would personally recommend, which I think is what OP was really trying to find out.

No, he asked if there was a spray laminate or something. I answered 'yes'. Had OP asked "what is the best spray laminate available and what do you recommend" , I may not have responded, as I do not use a spray laminate. But whatever. Sorry, I was cranky, and frankly, do get weary of some requests that require a simple search first.

EDIT: BTW, I jump on my wife all the time, who, while holding an INTERNET connected phone in her hand, will ask the most random question and I just say "I don't know babe, if there was only some device with a program that allowed you to search for information"..... that goes over well...LOL!

Signsup

Yes, I should have asked "Is there a good option..." but I was in a hurry. I have heard Frog Juice is crap. I do not know one way or another. We hust printed a small sign for a customer that liked the idea of direct print. They like the look of the sign but an employee of theirs banged the crap out of it and scratched it before they could put it up. I thought I would inquire to see if there was maybe something I was missing. I should have worded it better. Excuse the **** out of me. I joined this forum years ago and stopped because of smart *** answers like that. I am done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I should have asked "Is there a good option..." but I was in a hurry. I have heard Frog Juice is crap. I do not know one way or another. We hust printed a small sign for a customer that liked the idea of direct print. They like the look of the sign but an employee of theirs banged the crap out of it and scratched it before they could put it up. I thought I would inquire to see if there was maybe something I was missing. I should have worded it better. Excuse the **** out of me. I joined this forum years ago and stopped because of smart *** answers like that. I am done.

Well, sorry to see ya leave, but let me leave you with this little tidbit...........................

If an employee, whether it be yours or the customer's, is gonna manhandle a freshly made sign, than no liquid laminate is gonna do the job. You need a vandal-proof type rigid clear laminate which will stand up to harsh handling and misuse. Personally, I like Frog Juice. Some do, some don't. I also like ClearShield and again, some do and some don't. When you are looking for a simple quick fix to something and you can't seem to find any on your own, provided you did honestly try, odds are, it doesn't exist and all you're gonna get here are weaselp!ss remedies and witchcraft.

Anyway, if ya leave for good this time..... are ya still gonna lurk ?? Just a simple question. :smile:

DougWestwood

spray lam is lame

Hi All,

I would rather stick needles in my eyeballs than use spray lam.
They have printers which add liquid lam like an ink. And clog badly.
But some people are desperate to buy headaches.
- Doug
Vancouver

klmjff

I say...... let'em come here and ask their questions a hundred times a week. Ever notice, regardless of how the question is asked, it always receives different answers according to who answers ?? In fact, some people answer differently two days after answering it another way........ ?? The answers are what makes me laugh. I've always said, I come here mostly for the entertainment..... and if it wasn't for these people, there'd be no entertainment. :thumb:

I second this comment fully!

This board is true entertainment!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We purchased a flatbed a few months ago and love it! But I was wondering if there is a good option for giving some extra protection to Diabond prints without overlaminating. Is there a spray or something?

I have roll laminate that is made for UV inks if your interested.