• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a real difference

letterman7

Between a PrismJet and a Valuejet? Is it just different packaging, or are the internal components different?

randya

There are PrismJets that are not ValueJets but Falcons.

And there can be firmware differences between the ValueJets and PrismJet V's depending on the model.

letterman7

So the 48" PrismJets that SIgnWarehouse is selling are Falcons? The reason I'm asking...and I know I'll get slammed...is I have no need for a 54" printer. Almost everyone will be saying 'but that's what the material comes in' or 'you can sell more stuff', etc, etc. But the truth is my little Falcon Jr. has served just fine for the time I've had it, and it's time to upgrade to something newer. The 48" Prisms would fit the bill perfectly, I just wanted to know what their limits are compared to a VJ.
Thanks!!
Rick

FatCat

Not necessarily...

Not wanting to speak for Randy, but as I understand it "PrismJet" is the house name that SW has used for many of the smaller mutoh printers. The older ones (Falcons) and the newer ones (ValueJet) both used that name. AFAIK, they no longer sell the old ones - except maybe as used or refurb models. Randy may have thought you might be buying a used unit off ebay, etc. since you didn't calrify that you would be buying from SW.

However, here is the current "ValueJet" model:
http://signwarehouse.com/color-printers/color-printer-promo3c.html
The picture actually shows a Mutoh ValueJet (discontinued) the PrismJet has a darker case though they are essentially the same machine.

*One thing to realize is that SW cripples these base model PrismJets with less speed and makes you pay another $1,000 to upgrade the firmware to the same print speed as a true ValueJet.

letterman7

That's the one I'm looking at - but it does say 'PrismJet', hence my confusion. I'm ok with a slower speed...heck, this Outdoor Jr. is about as slow as they get! And yes, I didn't clarify where I was looking, I apologize. Now, knowing that Mutoh doesn't make the 48" models anymore, would these be leftovers or refurbs? I did talk a few weeks ago with the SW sales people and they told me they were new...

randya

Mutoh still makes the 48" VJ's so they are current product.
Signwarehouse has OEM exclusive rights to this model.
They will be happy to give you speeds and throughput on the machine.

They use the same head and profiles as the 1204, 1304, 1604 and 1614.
And of course it has the 'wave'.

Last edited:

FatCat

Yeah, sorry for the confusion the "Mutoh ValueJet 1204" is still available - only as a SW PrismJet.
I don't believe they sell a badged Mutoh ValueJet 1204 in the USA...the 1304 is/was it's replacement.

*Correct me if I'm wrong here Randy.

Stealth Ryder

I have a Prismjet V 48. It is a Mutoh Valuejet 1204 just like any other 1204 out there. It runs the same firmware, 1.18 as any other 48 inch Valuejet. You can't beat the price if a 48 inch printer is what you need. Best money I have ever spent.