Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a specialty vinyl for this?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by jc1cell, May 3, 2011.

1. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    I have been contacted to provide a print for a private plane. Nothing huge, 12" x 24". I was planning on using regular vehicle media with lam for it but am wondering if there is a specialty vinyl for this, or any other vinyl would be better than vehicle media.

Client is requesting the best material for it and I would like to oblige.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

jc

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    edited: I read "private home", lol... plane, however, I strongly agree with SightLine below:

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

As long as it is an aircraft that is NOT pressurized (ie - stays under like 12000 feet) I believe any high performance vinyl is okay. For pressurized aircraft there are vinyls specifically for aircraft that will properly expand and contract with the aircrafts skin. I know 3M makes a couple of types and I believe a couple of other companies do as well.

Also want to be very meticulous on install being very aware of any openings, seams, hatches, handles, etc. Last thing you want is a possible liability issue. We have done a couple of aircraft and they were pretty specific about things. Also keep in mind - the skin of an aircraft is incredibly thin and fragile - do NOT press too hard or you will dent it.

4. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    IIRC there may be special requirements for aircraft graphics specified by the FAA or whoever... If regular vinyl works I would recommend some "really aggressive" adhesive vinyl.

5. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Thank you guys

6. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
  7. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Looks like I'm keeping my nose out of this one, based on that link.

Yep. Think I am.

Thanks