• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there an easy way to bold a font

technowolf

Hi guys,

I would like to transform a plain font and make it bold only for one word.....is there a simple way to do that in illustrator.

thanks for any info.

Alex

Steve C.

On some very thin script fonts I have converted to path, added a contour,
and then delete the original. Careful, don't over do it.

iSign

I've had the negative space in some letters start to close up, but if I need it bad enough, I've went as far as node editing the letter to widen the entire loop that creates that negative space. You can cheat, & just enlarge the inner contour sometimes... but that usually will look wrong.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Adding a stroke or an outline to a letter is doing it in Bubba Bold. Especially if it's imbedded in a line of normal text. To do it properly you have to do as iSign suggested. Convert it to paths and edit the interior nodes. You can stretch it a smidgen on X but you have to leave the height constant or not only will it be bolder, it will be bigger as well.

John L

Once I copied a short word, aligned the copies, and then just nudged one copy a couple clicks to the right. I welded the two together and manually kerned it, and it looked great. Won't work with certain fonts and certain letters very well. But worth a try, it worked for me.