Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an easy way to bold a font

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by technowolf, Jun 23, 2007.

1. technowolf

technowolf Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Hi guys,

I would like to transform a plain font and make it bold only for one word.....is there a simple way to do that in illustrator.

thanks for any info.

Alex

Tags:
  2. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    if the font in use does not have bold/add a stroke to it!!!!

3. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    On some very thin script fonts I have converted to path, added a contour,
    and then delete the original. Careful, don't over do it.

4. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    You will probably have to play with the kerning also.

5. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

correct - add stroke or outline then delete text. Sign boy is right you usually will have to kern somewhat...

6. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I've had the negative space in some letters start to close up, but if I need it bad enough, I've went as far as node editing the letter to widen the entire loop that creates that negative space. You can cheat, & just enlarge the inner contour sometimes... but that usually will look wrong.

7. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Adding a stroke or an outline to a letter is doing it in Bubba Bold. Especially if it's imbedded in a line of normal text. To do it properly you have to do as iSign suggested. Convert it to paths and edit the interior nodes. You can stretch it a smidgen on X but you have to leave the height constant or not only will it be bolder, it will be bigger as well.

8. technowolf

technowolf Member

Mar 1, 2006
    ok thanks for the advice guys
    as always:signs101: :U Rock:

9. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Once I copied a short word, aligned the copies, and then just nudged one copy a couple clicks to the right. I welded the two together and manually kerned it, and it looked great. Won't work with certain fonts and certain letters very well. But worth a try, it worked for me.