• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there an Edge vinyl with strong adhesive?

_Neil

Using Oracal 651 now. The Perma-grip vinyl seems much stronger, but they apparently don't have it in clear. Any others that may work?

Thanks,
-Neil.

gpd123

Oh awesome. They're closed today, but I'll see if they can send me a sample to test the adhesive. I need this to go on polypropylene.

Thanks.

You really don't need to order samples. I can tell you from personal experience the high bond convex will stick to poly or ABS, both of which are referred to as "low energy" plastics. The only hurdle you have is whether or not you have a max thickness for your application. The high bond material is 6 mils thick, and they recommend that you laminate it with a convex laminate if you're applying to an irregular surface. It was originally made to print with the Gerber Edge line, so you're golden in that respect. You'll likely have a finished decal that is 10mils thick with their laminate. Convex is the industry standard for custom motorcross and ATV graphics. It's also used on most NFL/NHL helmets. It's pretty amazing stuff, custom formulated and manufactured by Graphic Marking Systems in the Chicago Suburbs. Call either Doug, Marjorie or Paul and they'll get you what you need. It will conform to a severly convex surface like a helmet or a sphere, hence the name. It will actually shrink back into itself, so if you have a bottle neck of sorts, this is the way to handle it. Good luck!

Geoff

_Neil

You really don't need to order samples. ...

Thanks Geoff, but samples are on the way already. I do need to verify first because I have been burned by GMS before. A few years ago, having issues printing more than one color on Lexedge, GMS ("Craig" IIRC) convinced me that their Armalex would solve the problem... which it didn't. Still have the full roll of it sitting here. Then he tried to convince me I needed to get the latest software upgrade (5.0) to fix the issue. I didn't bite, but that was not the answer anyway.

Recently someone there (said he was the owner) said that Armalex is just re-branded Lexedge so that would not have been any different. That reminds me... I should really figure that out once and for all.

gpd123

Thanks Geoff, but samples are on the way already. I do need to verify first because I have been burned by GMS before. A few years ago, having issues printing more than one color on Lexedge, GMS ("Craig" IIRC) convinced me that their Armalex would solve the problem... which it didn't. Still have the full roll of it sitting here. Then he tried to convince me I needed to get the latest software upgrade (5.0) to fix the issue. I didn't bite, but that was not the answer anyway.

Recently someone there (said he was the owner) said that Armalex is just re-branded Lexedge so that would not have been any different. That reminds me... I should really figure that out once and for all.

That must have been Doug, Doug and Marjorie Goodlough are the owners of GMS. It's hard for me to understand how anyone would get screwed over by them, they have always been great in my experience. Lexedge is a Gerber product right? A semi rigid plastic? Maybe I'm thinking of Edge Positive... Marjorie used to be a big-wig with GSPinc. Have you ever seen their roll winders in action? They're designed to have one on each side of the Edge and they keep a light tension on the roll in both forward print and rolling back through to change colors. Expensive but they work awesome. Instead of having pile of vinyl on the right side of the printer or stand there and roll it back up manually on a gerber tension frame, it does it for ya. Pretty cool! Their software for estimating pricing on gerber print/cut jobs is cool too, I think it's called "Estimator"... Lemme know how it works out for ya.

gpd123

Edge positive is 7mil crystal clear polyester material. Lexedge is 10mil Lexan polycarbonate, Lexedge 2 is the same but only 5mil... just and fyi

_Neil

That must have been Doug, Doug and Marjorie Goodlough are the owners of GMS. It's hard for me to understand how anyone would get screwed over by them...

Just relating what I was told at that time. Yes, I'm pretty sure the person I spoke with recently was Doug (I was ordering the FX caps to make Edge 2 foils work on my FX), and he did seem like a straight-up guy. But I will still be cautious and get samples before I order anything of value.