• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there any programs to help enlarging photographs

abadsvt

I have 9x12 print. The customer wants it to be 60x78". I know crazy right. Well i thought i could cut the picture out of the book then take a picture of it with my digital camera (14megapixel) which makes the photo 44"x56" +or-. Well after doing a test print it looks a little blurry from the picture from the camera. Anyways i was wondering is there any software or things you have done to enlarge photos without loosing much resolution. The print is in black and white. Or is it just impossible? Thanks

Josh

Malkin

Start off with a scan of the photo, rather than taking a picture of it. Then use the software to scale it up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's really going up a lot. Remember.... Fred's key word was 'Helpful'.

I believe that's too much to go up and still hold clarity which will reflect on your reputation in the long-run.

mtroup

I have enlarged a 300 dpi 4" x 6" photo into a 8' tall billboard photo (100 dpi) using photoshop.

The key is to enlarge it 10% at a time.. Scan the document and then go into photoshop and choose "Image Resize" and lock the proportions and change them to 110%, at the bottom select "Bicubic Smoother", do this repeatedly until you reach the size that you need.

I use the above commands and create an action so that all I have to do is open the image and press F12 until its the size I need.

Hope it helps.

abadsvt

Thanks for the links. I really appreciate it. You ever use any of these? Is there a ceartan one i should look into? Thanks

Josh

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
CorelDraw X5 comes with Photozoom pro 2.
(I think it is one version back from the latest)
It works pretty well within limits.
Has a nice preview that shows just how pixelated it will be at output size before you commit to the upsizing.

wayne k
guam usa

Techman

I think it is one version back from the latest

It does not matter. The algorithm is the same for all versions.. They just change the gui a little and maybe tweak the core software to run better within the latest CPU's

John Butto

genuine fractals print pro

I use this with Adobe Photoshop and it really is a good program for enlarging photos. On One software and it is for mac or Windows.

Keith Rae

Is the picture your trying to enlarge a photograph or a printed picture? A photograph will have continual lines and have all shades of gray. A printed picture will be a printed in black and have a screen so the picture will be made up of tiny dots with white space around then to give the appearance of gray, on this type of photo when it is enlarged all your doing is enlarging the dots and the white space around them. If it is a photo use your flat bed scanner and scan the photo at the highest dots per inch and maximum size your scanner can deliver. Next resize the photo to your target size, keep in mind that most digital cameras only save photos at a resolution of 72 PDI. Other things that can effect the output is the paper, if it has a texture the scanner will pick it up and it will get enlarged in the process and show in the final enlargement. You can enhance the image by applying filters and effects. De-speckle, adjust contrast and brightness, sharpen edges, use sharpen or soften on the entire photo or parts of it. Another thing to keep in mind is some programs have a limit on either the dimension of, or the size of the file. If the photo you are working from is good and clear and on a flat glossy paper you can get great results, I have blown up pictures as small as 2" x 3" TO 2' x 3' and they've turned out great. good luck.

Keith Rae

Corel Draw bought out Jasc Paint Shop Pro. and it will let you scan into the program and has all the tools you will need. You can download the 30 day trial version that has no restriction other than it will quit working in 30 days and every time you open it you get the do you want to buy me screen. And you have to register with Corel and give them your E-mail so you get emails of every special offer. I checked out mine and it will work with files as large as yours.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ca/en/Product/1208530085925

signmeup

What is the viewing distance of the final output? If it's going to be see from far away it won't matter much if it's not super quality.