• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there any way to fix leaning retractable roll up banner?

Vinyldog

LOL I've had one exactly like that sitting in my showroom for three years and it is doing the exact same thing. Probably explains why I haven't sold any banner stands.
Maybe print the image with perspective tight at the top and it will compensate for it.

kanini

Some of the stands have hex screws at the feet that fixes them to the base. These can sometimes be loose or wrongly adjusted, then the whole stand leans to either side. If it's that model I'd check the adjustment on these small screws.

gabagoo

All I can add to this conversation is.... that is the cheapest banner stand you can buy. I never use them. I prefer a unit that has no feet...never a problem.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
All I can add to this conversation is.... that is the cheapest banner stand you can buy. I never use them. I prefer a unit that has no feet...never a problem.

This...... you get what you pay for. We used to get those cheapo stands by the case for about $10 each. The carry cases are garbage, the stands are extremely flimsy and delicate, and there is not much you can do about the leaning. Couple of things you can do to help alleviate that lean. One thing is to reduce the spring tension. Tricky - have to take the side plate with the flat bit of the tension bar loose and unwind it one or two rotations, might need a couple of hands so it can be done without the thing unwinding out of control since the spring is under tension. The catch to this is that is might not have enough tension to then fully roll the banner back into itself when retracted. Another thing that can help is to shorten the pole so there is not so much tension (not always an option if an important bit of the print is covered up but if designed with this in mind that can be negated). Finally - bending one side of the feet down some. Have to be careful though, the aluminum on those stands is incredibly soft and thin and you can easily break parts off.

That being said. We do still make cheap ones an option for our customers. We keep one as a display as well as an Orbus brand one and show customers the differences in quality and whatnot. Some do still go for the cheap one when for example they are not going to really ever transport it or take it up and down much. Just going to be a static display in their lobby or something.... if they are going to be using it and taking it up and down a lot then they usually opt for a much more expensive one.

Tim Aucoin

1000% Agree! You get what you pay for. Some will lean, some will not... no consistency whatsoever. I stopped using that type and only buy the type in the pic. The cost more, but they are an easy up-sell to my customer. The ones I use are clamp bottom & clamp top... no adhesive involved. They also have a very handy ratchet tension wheel for tightening up the tension. Very simple, very nice looking and very inexpensive for what they are! :smile:

Attachments

• Banner Stands.jpg
    Banner Stands.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 160

Tim Aucoin

What brand of stand & Canadian supplier are you using if you don't mind me asking?

We're always on the hunt for a good, reasonably priced banner stand. There is so much variety and difference in cost/quality with these things.

Thanks!

Supplier is GBC Canada. It's a "generic" brand; "Roll Up Banner Deluxe" 33" x 80". 4-Pack $275CDN ($68.75 per stand). Great stand for that price. I sell them at $249 with graphic easily. :smile:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Ditto on the crappy stand. Move them up to a Catapult...great stands, good prices.

Suz

Timely post! I have a longtime Customer who came into my shop yesterday to look at a couple banner stands. I had one just like the one you are having problems with, but it was pretty much a new unit. I was showing him how the locking pin/key works and how I would install the banner into the unit once it was printed. I tell him, "But do not pull this pin out, I will be keeping it in until I attach the printed banner"... okay? He seems to understand. :rolleyes:

Usually when I have an appointment with a Customer, the outside door to my shop is locked. I have a billboard outside that says "By Appointment Only"... However, if my neighbor who shares the building with me happens to have left the door unlocked while coming and going out of the shop, anybody can just walk in. So, that is exactly what happened: Neighbor comes in and leaves the outside door unlocked.

Then I get a flood of people come to the door. (Delivery man, another person bringing me money, and then the neighboring shop owner too, needing a favor)... This takes me a couple minutes to take care of everyone while my Customer is waiting, and when I turn to go back to what we were doing, whammo! He has pulled out the lock-pin and unwound my brand new banner stand. Yikes! Now it's going to be fun re-winding the thing!

After watching a couple youtube videos to refresh my brain on how to fix these things, I have again decided I hate these cheap banner stands! I am going to invest in some better banner stands (at last) and let the Customer decide which one they like best. Thank you all for your posts, this helped confirm the thoughts floating around in my mind, after this experience. :omg: I think the better banner stands might be easier to fix if somebody goofs one up (again!!!). Did I say I hate cheap banner stands? LOL!

One of my customers complained that their retractable banner is leaning forward.
What would be the cause of this? The model is standard 33.5"x78.7" stand.
Is there any way that I can fix this for them?