• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Is there any young future Sign employees???

DanL 57703

Hi everyone, I'm turning 52 years old this year and I started in the sign business in 1992 as a sign painter. After 25 + years I've noticed that we don't see anyone anymore stopping by our shop looking for work or just to stop by and say HI and share their experience in the business. The sign industry has always been a sort of a odd ball, you never hear little Johnny saying I want to be a sign maker when I grow up. Maybe it's just me and I'm old news??

thanks for listening

truckgraphics

Seems the young folk want to be wrappers. Nothing wrong with that. It's a good intro into the sign biz, i.e. lettering and design in addition to wrapping. There's just as much profit in truck lettering as there is in car wrapping, in my opinion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good question. I wonder if anyone is learning to be shoemaker ?? Or, how about tailor ?? Maybe we should look closer into why no one wants to get their hands dirty anymote and still make money ??

myront

CorelDRAW is best
At the time that I joined the USAF (1984) I had no idea Graphic Design was even a choice. It wasn't until around 1994 that a coworker had mentioned that positions were open for Photography & Graphic Design. I was in a career field that was being reduced as the need no longer required as many personnel. I decided to crosstrain into Graphic Design. Fast forward and I was forced to retire from te AF and I panicked to find employment in a hurry as we had just bought a house. First place I called was the sign shop I'm at now! This shop is owned and operated by a "senior", then there's me, and 3-5 other coworkers who are all becoming seniors and nearing retirement. I often think about how this place will continue to operate after we all retire. Will it be sold or just shut down altogether?

Anyway when this commercial came out I thought it was funny and ironic at the same time.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
My teenage nephew had an event at his school where different businesses came in to have the kids learn about the business etc. and they got to be "employees" for a day. My nephew chose to work the sign shop because of his uncle.

Most high schools have graphic design programs now but they focus much more on corporate identity and online design though.

mim

0_o
I don't think many millennials/zoomers are aware of the sign making business. I'm 29 and I find it difficult to explain to my peers what exactly I do. Nobody really thinks about where signs come from. Before this I had frequent work doing decorative chalkboard signs for restaurants, I always thought "wow I wish all signs were painted" but that's the extent of it. Maybe once I start my sign making tiktok people will be interested lol

Scotchbrite

No comment
Our youngest employee is 31 doing graphic design. Our fabricators and installers are over 50. One them is closer to 70 than 60. Although when you tell people how old he is they are incredulous, you'd guess he's mid-50s at the oldest. I'm nearly 50 myself, and as the business owner I wonder a lot about if we'll have people to keep the business going in 5 to 10 years.

We attended a job fair put on by the local school district and got a good kid out of it. Unfortunately he had dreams of being a diesel mechanic and 2 years in the sign business didn't change his mind. We'll probably try the job fair again. I figure the best you can do is keep trying.

Whenever we've had the opportunity to hire a young person, I tell them that having experience in the sign industry practically guarantees them future employment. Just about any sign shop will hire someone with experience in a heartbeat. My wife grew up in the sign industry and when she moved far away from home she was talking to her mom about finding a job. Her mom told her to find a sign shop and go in and just tell them she grew up in the sign industry. Sure enough, first place she walked into hired her on the spot.

Taryn

The big thing really is partly people around my age and younger don't really become aware of the industries that don't affect their immediate lives without reeeaaally reaching out there. I became aware that shoemaking and tailoring was a thing more because I read about it in a fantasy book and then went on an ADHD-fuelled learning spree. It also has a lot to do with how parents want to prepare their kids for the future (or live through their kids in some cases). We hear a lot about how, oh, we should be doctors and engineers and so on, anything that requires going to college because Somehow College Is Important. I, personally, was specifically told I'd make a lot more money in a college-degree-requiring job than in a trades job like plumbing. I also wanted to be a high fantasy-science fiction author in school (and still want to, so we'll see how that pans out).

When I graduated, I knew that my (at the time future) boss ran a marine electronics store that also did shirts (the shop did my NOSB team's shirts with my design) but that was it. I tried a different job for about a year, hated it, quit, and came to work at the shop because I knew it'd be more interesting than sitting in one spot, under fluorescent lights, in the cold, getting yelled at all day (surprise surprise, if you're going to sit in front of the deli debating the fat content of a ham for six hours, you're going to hear "Do you want a sample?" more than once during those six hours).

It really is so much more interesting, but requires a lot more work than one would think coming right out of high school. Most sign shops are looking for long-term employees where most kids are thinking "where can I work for my gap year to have enough money during college" because, again, it feels like everyone wants you to go to college, whether you want to or not. Heck, I own a car I'm not prepared to own because apparently I need a car when everything I need is within walking distance (we're ignoring the super rare "somebody needs letters on his boat that he has on stilts 5 miles out the road" for work). There's also the matter of needing experience, but my situation is more I was the only applicant before the tech before me left for film college.

The job fair in schools is 1,000,000% a great place to start, and so is making social media like TikTok. With TikTok, just showing what you do can really get a kid's attention -- especially if you have some goofy signs on the wall behind you while you work (I follow a signs shop account myself, and I find a new sign I like every time I watch a video, even if it's the same one. I do like seeing the kinds of equipment other shops have too).

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I believe it squarely depends on how well the industry is being promoted. No promotion = no interest (by default). Plain and simple.

Elbert County High School in Elberton, GA has a Granite Technology program to introduce students to the artistic and skilled trades of the monument industry. It is strongly supported by their local industry, as well as industry vendors. How many high schoolers (with talent) elsewhere know that the need exists? Sitting around waiting for employees to materialize is a very out-dated concept.

In an age where many high schools have totally disemboweled skilled trades programs, it's nice to know that some are pushing back.

JB

Scroll down a ways for the story. Make sure you read the note from the VP on the second page:

More from DesignMart:

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Here in Lawton, OK we've been able to fill a few positions in different roles via students from Cameron University and Great Plains Technology Center. We have contacts at both schools. I participate on an advisory panel in GPTC's graphic design and photography department. We have a few employees in their 20's, including a new guy who filled a vacant design/production position. The 3 other more experienced designers here (myself included) are a bit older.

It's also a good idea to get plugged into local charitable service club organizations (Lions, Kiwanis, AMBUCS, etc) and the local chamber of commerce.

We've had pretty mixed results posting job opening ads on social media. I think it's better for a sign company to have a more active social media presence. Posting photos of jobs in progress with people who look like they enjoy what they're doing can lead to new people walking in the door to ask if the company is hiring.

The sign industry is one of the least "glamourous" fields in graphic design. We're more blue collar while most of the rest of the industry is white collar. The general public imagines a graphic designer working in an advertising agency, on the staff of a magazine, maybe in TV/movie production or in a design firm that codes web sites or something. Making signs isn't on the radar scopes of most people, even though signs are very visible, semi-permanent parts of the outdoor landscape. A person studying graphics, photography, etc at school will first try to get work in one of those more desirable white collar places. A sign company might be the last resort -if the person doesn't just decide to get a non-creative job paying more money.

I have bigger picture worries regarding the sign industry. Very restrictive sign ordinances can greatly limit a sign company's earning potential. More cities and suburbs are adopting such codes in the drive for town beautification. Neon use is nearly dead in our industry. Some businesses are putting more dollars into LED variable message displays than the actual sign part of their signs. This trend toward modest-size blandness will make it harder for a teenager in 2022 or later in 2032 to know our industry exists.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put some ads out there for employees, it'll take a while but young people that like to work in the industry CAN be found.
We have around 15 people here. Youngest is 19, most are 20s & 30s, owners are just over 40, oldest employee (long-time installer) is 62.

Bikeson22

I’m 22, been working in the printing industry for about three years, got into it right after graduating from trade school. Worked a couple years at a screen printing shop running automatics, doing inventory, some design and sales work. About a year ago wanted to try something different and got into Signmaking at another shop, I love it. I’ve found, if I show someone I will show up, keep my nose out of my phone, and do my best, the opportunities are endless.

DanL 57703

At the time that I joined the USAF (1984) I had no idea Graphic Design was even a choice. It wasn't until around 1994 that a coworker had mentioned that positions were open for Photography & Graphic Design. I was in a career field that was being reduced as the need no longer required as many personnel. I decided to crosstrain into Graphic Design. Fast forward and I was forced to retire from te AF and I panicked to find employment in a hurry as we had just bought a house. First place I called was the sign shop I'm at now! This shop is owned and operated by a "senior", then there's me, and 3-5 other coworkers who are all becoming seniors and nearing retirement. I often think about how this place will continue to operate after we all retire. Will it be sold or just shut down altogether?

Anyway when this commercial came out I thought it was funny and ironic at the same time.
That is funny lol

ProSignTN

I answered an ad for a "woodworker" in 1990. He wanted a cabinet maker and I had limited experience in home building. He hired me anyway, based on my inquisitive nature.. Damn sign bug bit me on the butt. Me Papa was a blacksmith: obsolete. My Dad was a machinist (same thing different technology). Dad refused to learn to program CNC's, so obsolete. I had a brush in my left hand, a mouse in my right. I didn't want to become obsolete. I chose the mouse. And also the pencil, the metal shear, the brake, the welder, the torch, the ballast, the transformer, the post hole digger, the crane, the engineering formula for a concrete foundation, the pounce wheel, the art of layout by Mike Stevens, and the hammer drill. Not necessarily in that order.

Point is, times change and the days of "Signman" are fading. Someone who shows up everyday with a good attitude is about all you can hope for these days. Good luck!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm the kid of the shop, been that way since I started at 14 pushing start on the CNC on the weekends.
We had a kid, 18, who spent months looking for anything that would hire him without a GED, walking around for applications, then he found us on indeed. He was a rare breed, worked from $9 to $14/hr in two years, then his family moved and he really wanted to stay near them, so there he went, off to do asphalt at a 2$ pay cut...
Being the youngest used to be fun, have old farts call me about what to do, while climbing on a billboard, but as the years have gone by I'm starting to feel the creeping dread of 'who's going to do this after me..." Anyways that's why I had kids. Generation 5 better be able to rope some of their age group in with them...
I started younger than you, scraping paint off the floor and painting posts. Older experienced people don't see the potential in the younger bunch so they don't hand them the reins until they're forced to and it has always been that way. They figure it out just like we all did. I see the same thing at a lot of places but I think younger people will step up, they just have to be given the opportunity like we all were at some point in time.

Notarealsignguy

Well if we are going off the books, painting panels and hammering butler panels to save up for a dreamcast is a distinct memory of mine...

Not saying you're wrong, and maybe it's a difference of geography or industry, but I can't get a single one of the "younger bunch" to apply for beans right now!
This isn't a normal time right now. The economy will cool off and good people will be out looking for something better again. Right now, we are all just competing to hire the unemployable and it's disappointing

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I Just have to say... I absolutely love the back and forth between Notarealsignguy and JBurton on this forum. I have so many reasons for shouting this out, but in a nutshell, it's like watching a tennis match, and I can't always agree ( because wtf do I know) I like what you said. And it's either informative, or entertaining.
My point... It's the good natured discourse that I appreciate.

Notarealsignguy

I Just have to say... I absolutely love the back and forth between Notarealsignguy and JBurton on this forum. I have so many reasons for shouting this out, but in a nutshell, it's like watching a tennis match, and I can't always agree ( because wtf do I know) I like what you said. And it's either informative, or entertaining.
My point... It's the good natured discourse that I appreciate.
I'm still not gonna follow you. I have no friends and like it that way. My friend's (wait I have no friends) wife stuck this on my screen the other day, figured you'd appreciate it
PXL_20220211_182511256.jpg