• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is There Anyone Currently Using GraphTec 3100-120?

Biker Scout

I just picked one up that was in really nice condition. Ran the on board cut files, looked great. I had to dig up an old computer with a parallel port and Win7 on it... and that's about where I am.

What software can run this plotter? I downloaded that CutMaster program from GraphTec's site, and of course the plotter is old enough not to have driver support or even a "pull down" in the CutMaster software.

I need help setting this thing up. Right now as it stands, this computer will be out in the workshop, sans internet and just hooked up to a couple of output devices. I'll bring my .eps into the workshop on flash drive. Right now it's running a thermal label printer, and a plasma table. Both of which share the parallel port, I just plug in whatever device I'll be using at the time. So, goes the GraphTec Plotter... just on an as needed basis.

This plotter seems very complicated to set-up, with it's deep menus and many different on board configurations. I do have the "binder" that originally came with it, but right now I just need to find any HPGL output based program that can talk to the plotter and actually get something cut.

Biker Scout

OK, nevermind then... just in case anyone cares to know, you can make the FC-3100 120 actually run on both a PC and Mac. Which is great, because I don't have to move my plotter out the the warehouse where it gets really dirty out there with the cutting and welding and plasma dust etc...

For posterity sake, in case anyone else wants to know how it's done, you need 2 key items.

The Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter

DB9 (f) to DB25 (m) NULL Serial Cable

The inexpensive program Sign Cut will do the rest... as long as the interface settings are correct on board the plotter. You may need to refer to that GraphTec Binder to get the correct settings. But if anyone needs any help I can walk you through it. Although, that may seem unlikely, as this is a rather old plotter. But because they are old they can be had for less than $800, and they are 1000% better than any import no-name plotter on the market. Unless you absolutely need the registration for printed work, this is a great quiet and smooth plotter.

nmcgraw

So Biker I was hoping to get the run down on how you accomplished this. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this working.

Currently we are running the Graphtec FC3100-120 on a PPC G4 with a USB to Parellel cable. Using a past version on FlexiSign.

Right now I am attempting to get SignCut on my Intel MacBook Pro to recognize the cutter with no luck.
I've tried multiple software's with different driver and not even a budge from the cutter.

Any help that you can past forward would be greatly appreciated.

-Nate McGraw
natemcgraw@productionplus.com |

Hogie

KeySpan Serial USB Adapter + Null DB9 to DB25 Cable are a must before you even will get the plotter to budge.
Hey there,
I have signcut on mac osx high sierra 10.13.6, using adobe illustrator with the signcut plug in. I have a graphtec fc3100-120 (old but gold) and have a db25 serial db9 female 9 pin to male 25 pin null modem cable lead attached to a keyspan usa-19hs adapter, cable and adaptor are brand new, loaded drivers as instructions but cannot locate graphtec driver in the list on cutter dialog setup window in signcut. How do I get it to see my plotter please? and how can I get this plotter going, hoping you could help please. Thanks in advance.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I run mine with a Signlab cut only version with the cables mentioned. Seemed easier than finding and installing an old serial port.

Hogie

OK, nevermind then... just in case anyone cares to know, you can make the FC-3100 120 actually run on both a PC and Mac. Which is great, because I don't have to move my plotter out the the warehouse where it gets really dirty out there with the cutting and welding and plasma dust etc...

For posterity sake, in case anyone else wants to know how it's done, you need 2 key items.

The inexpensive program Sign Cut will do the rest... as long as the interface settings are correct on board the plotter. You may need to refer to that GraphTec Binder to get the correct settings. But if anyone needs any help I can walk you through it. Although, that may seem unlikely, as this is a rather old plotter. But because they are old they can be had for less than $800, and they are 1000% better than any import no-name plotter on the market. Unless you absolutely need the registration for printed work, this is a great quiet and smooth plotter.
Could you help me get my graphtec going please?

Hogie

Could you help me get my graphtec going please?
Hey there,
I have signcut on mac osx high sierra 10.13.6, using adobe illustrator with the signcut plug in. I have a graphtec fc3100-120 (old but gold) and have a db25 serial db9 female 9 pin to male 25 pin null modem cable lead attached to a keyspan usa-19hs adapter, cable and adaptor are brand new, loaded drivers as instructions but cannot locate graphtec driver in the list on cutter dialog setup window in signcut. How do I get it to see my plotter please? and how can I get this plotter going, hoping you could help please. Thanks in advance.
Anyone who can give a bit of relevant info on this kit please?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with the sign cut software

Mine shows up under COM 1 - 4. It depends on which USB slot you plug it in.

COM settings:
Baud rate 9600
Parity N
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Flow control Hardware

Hogie

received this but a bit stumped

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 10.52.27.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 10.52.27.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 129