• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there anything I can do?

Steak

Long read incoming.

So, I've been working in the shop I'm at now for about a year and a half. This is the first shop I've worked at besides working for my father. I moved about an hour away to a much bigger city for personal reasons and just to get some experience in a different shop. I was a bit naive in taking the first job that presented itself and thinking it would be what I wanted. The shop is focused on cheap vinyl signs and prints and we also do some screen printing and sublimation. There are only a few people here and I work underneath 2 of them.

My problem is that both of the two people I work under have absolutely terrible design skills and no eye for good design. Almost everything they think would look good, or suggest to customers is straight out of the 90's and either black or red.

The thing that really set me off was recently, a customer came in and wanted a layout for a wrap on his new truck. He was a biker guy and and had a big tattoo on his back of his deceased family and their souls rising into heaven. He liked the theme of "souls" and wanted something based around that. So, my boss makes a layout and asks my opinion, here is what he presented me: http://i.imgur.com/1SbqG.jpg

I was in awe of how terrible it is. I really couldn't say anything for about 2 minutes. I finally said that the flames were horrid and even if the customer did like them there was no way we could print it. He agreed and found a new image and made up a new layout: http://i.imgur.com/yW3NY.jpg

Now, its not uncommon for him to show me something that doesn't really look good, or sometimes downright bad but this one set the bar higher than I imagined he could. I've been wanting to find another job for a while and this was the clincher.

So I guess my question is, is there any hope for him? Is there anything I can do to improve his design without being insulting?

ova

Hope your Boss isn't a signs101 member. You won't have to worry about liking your job.

You won't have one.

Dave

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Really.... I'm biting my tongue on this one.

Why don't you just make one up.... on your own time and show him what a real design should look like and see if he understands. Don't jam it down his throat.... just present it as.... hey, whaddaya think of this ??

tsgstl

The wraps pretty much speak for their-self but I'll repeat what my first boss in this industry told me "not every sign needs to be a Picasso"
IE it's his business he should decide how much time is spent towards designing a layout for a sign. Block letters with red and or black is sufficient for a lot of signs. Even a extra 5 minutes towards a $30 sign will add up to days of time over a year. You should be happy to have a job in today's market.

CanuckSigns

I agree, Go home tonight and design something that you think will be better for your customer.
Some bosses are very set in their ways, but if you can show him why your design is better, and how spending a little time on a good design will help his business make more money, you may have just earned yourself a promotion and raise!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Really.... I'm biting my tongue on this one.

Why don't you just make one up.... on your own time and show him what a real design should look like and see if he understands. Don't jam it down his throat.... just present it as.... hey, whaddaya think of this ??

I would follow Gino's advice...

then.... show your design work to a good designer to get an experienced appraisal of your skills. Too many times people come on here doing exactly what you are doing only to have the same or worse skills that the people they are being critical of.

... then get a resume together and get the shweeze out of there. 1 1/2 years in a shop where you are probably not learning much is long enough.... find a shop where people are way better than you.

GoodPeopleFlags

I feel your frustration. I've been there and still visit occasionally. There's really nothing you can do except learn what you can from there and start looking around for another shop that will be a better fit for you. Good luck.

Steak

Hope your Boss isn't a signs101 member. You won't have to worry about liking your job.

You won't have one.

I'm not saying anything bad about the company, or my coworkers. They're all very nice. I do most of the layouts, but when he does some this is about the amount of creativity it gets. I'm honestly asking for input.

The wraps pretty much speak for their-self but I'll repeat what my first boss in this industry told me "not every sign needs to be a Picasso"
IE it's his business he should decide how much time is spent towards designing a layout for a sign. Block letters with red and or black is sufficient for a lot of signs. Even a extra 5 minutes towards a $30 sign will add up to days of time over a year. You should be happy to have a job in today's market.

I agree that you shouldn't spend a lot of time on jobs you dont think you'll get a significant return on, but this is about the quality he expects most of the time. Again, I'm not bad mouthing the shop or my coworkers, I'm asking for input. I AM thankful for the job. I know what the economy is like and I know its hard to find decent paying jobs.

Im asking, is there some way I can help him improve or is it a lost cause?

Steak

Well, I've done this a couple times and I've gotten a really mixed bag of reviews. Sometimes hes appreciative and likes it, but most of the time he'll take it and change it back to where it was before.

show your design work to a good designer to get an experienced appraisal of your skills. Too many times people come on here doing exactly what you are doing only to have the same or worse skills that the people they are being critical of.

Yeah, I think I will do this. I'm not saying I'm a fantastic designer, or trying to make fun of anyone. But I would like to believe that I know enough to recognize bad design.

Pat Whatley

Some people just can't see it. How many times has somebody posted absolute garbage here, gotten criticized for their design, and immediately they get defensive and start defending every bad design decision they've made?

Sounds like you're working for one of those. Just remember, you can try to change him but in the end it's his shop....his rules.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Well, I've done this a couple times and I've gotten a really mixed bag of reviews. Sometimes hes appreciative and likes it, but most of the time he'll take it and change it back to where it was before.

Yeah, I think I will do this. I'm not saying I'm a fantastic designer, or trying to make fun of anyone. But I would like to believe that I know enough to recognize bad design.

I don't think you are making fun of anyone, just venting. I am a sign designer too and have dealt with the same issues... I used to hear all kinds of things like the Picasso comment which was lame, or it's the bosses shop... which is 100% true. But you are the person in charge of your career and at some point you need to fire your boss.

Steak

Just remember, you can try to change him but in the end it's his shop....his rules.

Yeah, I cant get around that.

I don't think you are making fun of anyone, just venting. I am a sign designer too and have dealt with the same issues... I used to hear all kinds of things like the Picasso comment which was lame, or it's the bosses shop... which is 100% true. But you are the person in charge of your career and at some point you need to fire your boss.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it.