• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there anything you won't print/paint?

ddubia

I think some are confusing standing pat for ones own beliefs as censoring the beliefs of others. I wouldn't turn down printing pro-abortion stuff on the grounds that they shouldn't think like that. I'd turn it down on the grounds that I don't wish to play a part in helping to promote that thinking myself.

It has to do with me. Not with them.

If I were running for President I would not print material soliciting votes for the other guy although he has all the right in the world to have his solicitation printed. I'm just going to look out for my own best interests and not sell myself short for money.

Would a sign person print material advocating the arrest and conviction of all sign people? Would it be censorship if he turned it down?

Somewhere along the line everyone has to have a belief or a strong opinion or a conscience of some kind on some matter.

visualeyez

I had a customer want a shirt that read: Jesus Loves Sluts
This is the only job i have ever turned down.
I guess Jesus loves everybody, but....

mark in tx

I once talked a woman out of putting "f*ck the police" on her back window.

I just didn't want to have that on my head if and when she was pulled over.

Salmoneye

I charge 50% extra for anything religious. Won't make anything racist & turned down something very vulgar because the jackass wanted it on a vehicle where kids would be seeing it every day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I refused an 'Adult Store' after I found out what it was. The store was going to be a few doors down the street from a grade school in our town.

I actually started it, but like I said, that was based on getting a deposit and talking out some of the particulars. Once I found out what it was to be..... we stopped.

I don't view it at all as being judgmental or pushing my morals onto others, but just a conflict of interests. They are free to express their freedom of speech in any manner they want.... I just won't be party to it or with them.

I don't find a problem with nudes.... as long as it's in good taste. I did plenty of them in college and on my own. Art is in the eye of the beholder, but I will not do a nude of such where it degrades a female. Again, my conflict of interests... not to be confused with pushing my beliefs onto anyone else.

If I refuse to take on a job.... for any reasons whatsoever... I am not in any fashion stepping on anyone's rights. My view is..... I do what I want and choose carefully.

sardocs

A few weeks ago a person I have done legit work for in the past phoned and asked if he could come by to discuss a project he wanted help with, but stressed he wanted privacy during the meeting. When he came by he explained he wanted me to make him some phoney firearms aquisition certificates so he could "legally" get guns and ammo from the gun shops in town. After I said I couldn't do it he swore me to secrecy.....

Circleville Signs

A few weeks ago a person I have done legit work for in the past phoned and asked if he could come by to discuss a project he wanted help with, but stressed he wanted privacy during the meeting. When he came by he explained he wanted me to make him some phoney firearms aquisition certificates so he could "legally" get guns and ammo from the gun shops in town. After I said I couldn't do it he swore me to secrecy.....

I hope that as soon as he left your shop you called the authorities...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
sard....

When someone swears you to secrecy about something as illegal as that.... you better alert the authorities quickly. Secrets don't work with illegal minds. It would be your duty to report this guy and ask authorities for you to remain anonymous.

Pat Whatley

I once talked a woman out of putting "f*ck the police" on her back window.

I just didn't want to have that on my head if and when she was pulled over.

I once failed at talking a kid out of putting that in his window. He went into a tirade about it being free speech and the police couldn't do anything about it. My shop is two blocks from the police station on the busiest street in downtown. He pulled out of the parking lot....and was pulled over twice within the first mile. Came back and had it replaced with "FEENIN' THE GREEN LEAF". Genius.

I haven't been presented the job I wouldn't do yet. I'm sure there's one out there, I just don't get them in here.

I'm not going to narc on a guy who is bold enough to tell a stranger that he is getting guns and ammo illegally. He might not be the brightest guy in the world, but it shouldn't take him long to figure out that I was the one that turned him in. Then he's gonna come back and shoot my ace. No thanks.

Tim Aucoin

Won't touch anything representing HATE towards another person or race, anything that could pose potential HARM towards another (especially a child), anything copyrighted (whole other story, right?). Basically I wouldn't touch anything that I'd be embarrassed to say "I did that!" Nudes are fine if in proper taste. We don't get many, but one regular is a stripper. We do her posters every few months. They are very tasteful. :thumb:

G-Artist

Thank you one and all. The responses were enlightening and as expected from a cross sample of industry professionals.

I think it should go w/o saying that reproducing copyright material (sans legit permission) or a bit of forgery would not fall into the censorship catagory....lol.

It's great that as business owners we can have the luxury of choice regardless of what our choice may be. My wife, who was once a a senior editor as well as a production manager at a book publishing house, had to deal with a subject that made her virtually nauseous. Since we had young children and all of us were covered via her work insurance plan she had no choice but to do her job.