• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there color without light?

jiarby

Take a Pantone swatchbook into a dark room... Is process blue still blue? yes... nothing has changed. You just cannot see it because your crappy eyeballs do not work without light.

cptcorn

adad
But It does, as white light is made up RGB not CMY

C R
M G
Y B

For example G and B makes Cyan. Hard to argue I think other wise.
This does not make sense... White light is not made from RGB, its made from a spectrum of light.
Jim that's fair, for example no two toasters if set to the same number from 1 to 10 will yield the same finished product.

Though predicting the end result less trial and error i.e. try 1 then 2 then 3 etc. does have it's advantages?

I think recognizing those advantages means less trial and error and ultimately adds to the bottom line.
Of course, it takes time and it's not like as if the market is in it's infancy. Some grasp it others won't.
Trial and error alone is a horrible way to come to a conclusion. With education and proper understanding you reduce the risk of trial and error. I can go on any printer and properly profile it without trial and error. Everything can be done without guessing which is what you're eluding to.
Physics isn't your long suit, eh? Color IS light. No light, no color. That is why something is different colors under light of different spectra. It's not that it appears to be that color, it IS that color.

If Helen Keller tripped and fell in the forest would there be a sound?

Apropos of nothing, the biggest difference betwixt monitors and print is that a monitor can produce virtually any white point but the only black it can display is whatever color the monitor surface might be when it's turned off. Printing is just the opposite, you can print a true black but the white point is whatever shade of white the media might happen to be. These differences affect the look of the entire color spectrum.
THANK YOU BOB! For placing a nice wad of intelligence in this thread.

Light, is color, and color is light.

Take a Pantone swatchbook into a dark room... Is process blue still blue? yes... nothing has changed. You just cannot see it because your crappy eyeballs do not work without light.
It's still blue because the paper the swatch booklet is the light source for the blue.

Keith Rae

The full spectrum of light bouncing of a white surface shows the surface to be white. Red green and blue light sources provides you with all the color to provide the full spectrum. But how dose it work when your colorblind? is a green light still a green light? I have three nephews that are color blind.
The way they see it is,
"ROSES ARE GRAY,
VIOLETS ARE GRAY,
I'M COLORBLIND
THEY ALL LOOK THAT WAY!"

sjm

This does not make sense... White light is not made from RGB, its made from a spectrum of light.

Trial and error alone is a horrible way to come to a conclusion. With education and proper understanding you reduce the risk of trial and error. I can go on any printer and properly profile it without trial and error. Everything can be done without guessing which is what you're eluding to.

THANK YOU BOB! For placing a nice wad of intelligence in this thread.

Light, is color, and color is light.

It's still blue because the paper the swatch booklet is the light source for the blue.

cptorn if you read my opening post, I think you will understand the point I was trying to make.

Bob understood immediately and hats off to him.

The

C R
M G
Y B

relationship is the science behind that which helps us earn our lively hood as digital print providers. While not perfect I think it's more about asking the right questions of the client as opposed to saying I can go and properly profile
any printer.

Here's an example you spend time matching to a PMS colour and in your studio it looks good but you forgot to ask the client what the lighting would be like where he will he/she is displaying said graphic. The client will be displaying the graphics at 6500 Kevlins your studio is at 4500 Kelvins.

Do you think that difference in Color Temperature will make things look somewhat different? Hence is there color without light?

sjm

Originally Posted by James Burke
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is nowhere around to hear him, is he still wrong?

JB
lol best one ever

he he, surely the man wouldn't be in the woods if he was taking care of business?

sjm

Maybe she divorced him because he was always wrong and got awarded everything:doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

he he, but in the dark woods a bear could easily be mistaken for a cougar. Maybe the man had a flashlight?

leerees

If I remember correctly objects reflect certain frequencies of light and we perceive those different frequencies as colour.

A print is reflecting light from the sun etc whereas a monitor has it's own light source which passes through a mesh of RGB cells. These dots are so small our brains perceive them as a solid colour, same as on a CMYK print.

sjm

If I remember correctly objects reflect certain frequencies of light and we perceive those different frequencies as colour.

A print is reflecting light from the sun etc whereas a monitor has it's own light source which passes through a mesh of RGB cells. These dots are so small our brains perceive them as a solid colour, same as on a CMYK print.

Yes and no. A printer can only lay down a dot be it CMYK or with newer technologies Lc, Lm, Lg too. A monitor can vary the intensity at the dot level.

Hence why printers uses stochastic or half tone screening.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Does a bear do it in the woods? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Is the pope catholic? Do one legged ducks swim in circles? Do frogs have water tight orifices? Do chicken have lips? Can we keep this thread going forever?

Nuff said,
Dave

Joe Diaz

Color actually only exists within the brain. The cones and rods within our eyes senses the different wavelengths of light and then sends that information to our brain. Our brain then converts that information into something we can use... color. The longest wavelength of light appears as red and the shortest (visible to us humans) appears as violet.

So is color light? I prefer to think of it this way: Color isn't possible for us to see without light, but color isn't light. It's our brains way of understanding light.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Color actually only exists within the brain. The cones and rods within our eyes senses the different wavelengths of light and then sends that information to our brain. Our brain then converts that information into something we can use... color. The longest wavelength of light appears as red and the shortest (visible to us humans) appears as violet.

So is color light? I prefer to think of it this way: Color isn't possible for us to see without light, but color isn't light. It's our brains way of understanding light.

Perhaps you and Mssr. Doggett could attend the same remedial physics class.

Color is light. Light at some wavelength or in some spectrum exists whether or not you can perceive it. Just as a silent dog whistle emits a sound regardless of whether you hear it. Your dog hears it.

Since color is light and light exists independent of your perception or lack thereof, your position is bankrupt. You might note that your visual tackle perceives a spectrum where the available energy is most abundant, thus confirming the notion of a parsimonious universe.

Your frenzy of sophomoric solipsism notwithstanding, it is axiomatic that there is an external reality that exists outside of your mind. To doubt it is far more ridiculous than to accept it.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Color is light. Light at some wavelength or in some spectrum exists whether or not you can perceive it. Just as a silent dog whistle emits a sound regardless of whether you hear it. Your dog hears it.

Since color is light and light exists independent of your perception or lack thereof, your position is bankrupt. You might note that your visual tackle perceives a spectrum where the available energy is most abundant, thus confirming the notion of a parsimonious universe.

Your frenzy of sophomoric solipsism notwithstanding, it is axiomatic that there is an external reality that exists outside of your mind. To doubt it is far more ridiculous than to accept it.

I was going to say this same exact thing... word for word. How strange you beat me to it. I snooze - I lose. GMTA

Joe Diaz

The concept of color existed long before we humans knew what actually created it. We simply named the different wavelengths of light based off of our perception of it's corresponding color (or what we had already named the things we were seeing). Light is Light. Color is how our brains interpret light. It is true that we cannot see color without light. But we also cannot see color without working eyes and a brain. And even though we cannot see color without light, we can perceive color without light. Therefor color is much more than light.

Last edited: