• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this a font - BBQ BARN

WVB

I am needing to know if this is a font or hand drawn lettering. Local BBQ Restraunt is needing some signage. He bought them out so he has no idea what it is. Gave me a cd with eps however, inside was just a jpg for say a letterhead.

edit: forgot image......

Attachments

• BBQ Barn.jpg
    BBQ Barn.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 140

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Old Town 536 which has been expanded to 205% of its normal width.

Attachments

• BBQ BARN.jpg
    BBQ BARN.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 92

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I did the following:
  • Years ago I sorted and organized my fonts into categories and stored them all on a network hard drive
  • I looked at the font to see if I recognized it, allowing for the modifications such as stretching, slanting, condensing, etc. and concluded that it was probably PT Barnum, Lamplighter, Old Town, Playbill or something similar that would be in my Headline and Display font group.
  • Launched Typograf, entered the text "B-B-Q BARN" and navigated to the Headline and Display folder to scroll thru those fonts.
  • On reaching Old Town, I noted that all earmarks appeared to match and that the font would need to be stretched. Right clicked Old Town to install it.
  • Copied TVG's sample to the clipboard, launched Photoshop, opened a new window and pasted the original into it. Enlarged canvas to accomodate additional comparison typesetting.
  • Entered the text and tweaked the height to match original then tweaked the stretching until it also matched. Took reading from palette of 205%,
  • Flattened the image, saved as JPG and posted results.
Elapsed time was less than ten minutes.

The other way I could have done this would have been to start in Photoshop and condense the sample by different amounts until doing an automated comparison in FontExpert gave me the correct result. In this case, it would have probably taken slightly longer to do it that way.

Attachments

• BBQ.jpg
    BBQ.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 98

Lance

Just got the trial of Typograf and intend on getting my font IDs down under 10 minutes.
Yeah sure lance...........
Now where do I start

Years ago I sorted and organized my fonts into categories and stored them all on a network hard drive

Oooops, guess that's about as far as I go.
Ohh well, t'was a productive thought.

Great job as usual Fred.

best

lance

:thumb: :Australia

Lance

:Oops:

Sir, the penny she has dropped.

NOW GET TO WORK LANCE, YA GOT A LOT A CATCHIN' UP TO DO........

:thumb: :Australia

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since you didn't ask, I'll tell you.

I used Typograf to sort the fonts. Any hard drive including your primary one will do. I just happened to already have a network. It's all visual - select / right click / move. it went at a rate of about 300 per hour as a spare time activity.

After eliminating duplicates from other foundries, I ended up with 5,000 distinct fonts that were organized and ready to use. That was starting with over 15,000 fonts I had accumulated. All told about 24 manhours to organize my fonts. Hard drive space used is about 225 MB for my finished active font library.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Do you load them as you need them Fred? I have thousands of fonts (I've been accused of having a font fetish:biggrin: ) and my problem has been remembering what I have and what I don't. Inevitably the font I need is not loaded and I have to quit and relaunch Illustrator after i load it to use it.
Do you have printed samples for your customers? If so for all 15,000?
Currently I'm using the Font Thing to identify and print samples, but if I understand you correctly I can actually handle font management through Typograf.
Thanks - just curious... font management is becoming an issue... having a specific font available on any machine at any given time would be ideal.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you load them as you need them Fred? I have thousands of fonts (I've been accused of having a font fetish:biggrin: )

He or she who dies with the most fonts wins. Yes, I load them as I need them while keeping a core group of about 300 fonts (including system fonts) installed. Once or twice a week I will make a pass through the font folder and delete those that aren't in my core group (using correct procedure for deleting fonts).

and my problem has been remembering what I have and what I don't.

Sounds like a visit to your geriatric physician might be in order. Some of the drugs they have nowadays work wonders. I don't remember every font I have and don't even try to do so. That's what organizing my fonts and using Typograf to view them for both matching and creative selection does for me. And, in doing so, I have also relieved my lovely wife and any employees from having to do so either.

Inevitably the font I need is not loaded and I have to quit and relaunch Illustrator after i load it to use it.

What version of Illustrator and Windows or Mac OS are you running? The latest versions will update themselves without having to quit and relaunch.

Do you have printed samples for your customers?

No ... that's a quagmire and costs far more time than it's worth, as well as often resulting in poor typeface selection. When I have a client who is concerned, I launch Typograf, enter the text in question, switch to the appropriate category and have the client select from a screen display what he or she likes.

If so for all 15,000?

As mentioned, I have culled out the duplicates so I don't have to go thru that many. In addition, by categorizing them into major groups, I further reduce the number. So if I'm looking for just the right script, I switch to my folder containing 617 scripts and look at them 8 at a time.

Currently I'm using the Font Thing to identify and print samples, but if I understand you correctly I can actually handle font management through Typograf.

Yes and I'd be surprised if Font Thing did not have similar capabilities.

Thanks - just curious... font management is becoming an issue... having a specific font available on any machine at any given time would be ideal.

That would be but none of us are running Cray supercomputers. We have to live within reasonable limits imposed by the machines we do use. My response has been to organize and to equip myself with a reasonable solution.