• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this a polycarb sign face?

JBurton

Signtologist
Trimcap is adhered to the acrylic face in the shop, and then fastened with screws around the can at the job site, correct?
Right, in fact, I would avoid reusing screw holes, if you get 1/2 a hole off, it can cause a self tapper to redirect after it goes through the trimcap, tearing the trimcap to make the screw fit the hole. Just fresh holes all around
When removing faces on electric signs like this, do you leave it open to the elements or cover it with something? Banner material?
We only bother if it is going to rain, even then, if you are removing and making a pattern, you would probably avoid doing it in the rain in the first place, if you plan to remove and return it to the shop, or if the trimcap falls to pieces as you remove the screws, which is a very real possibility with 10 year old metallic trimcap, then you could flip that service switch to off and its not likely anything will be damaged until you return. This depends on what is inside, but beyond your control when quoting.
It's really not hard, but if it were a one off, and I was a one man show, I'd probably pass. (That or sub it out to the original manufacturers, and mark up the cost)
No need for the disadvantages of polycarb on a small face like that.
If she has full coverage on the face, what disadvantage would poly have? I'm a big fan of a face I can drop off a ladder and watch it bounce vs watch it crack. Of course it yellows faster, no denying that.

unclebun

The size of this ellipse allows you to get two of them from a single 4x8. So if they have two of them you're golden.

Yes. After you cut out your ellipse you put it on a piece of plywood, held in place with four screws sticking up out of the wood. You start your trim at some point on the ellipse (usually bottom center) and secure it against the face with a couple of screws. Continue around the ellipse, bending the trim around and securing it with screws as you go until you've made it all the way around. Cut it so it ends up flush with where you started. Make sure it is touching the face all the way around. Then, using a small plastic bottle with a blunt needle on it (you can buy this from the sign supply also, and it's reusable) you flow the liquid cement into the joint between the face and the trim. It doesn't take a ton to get it to go, and it will wick along the joint the same way that solder does on a wire joint. The cement melts the plastic, creating a plastic weld. Leave it a while to evaporate and harden. You can then use a tube of the gel cement to run a little bead around too, as mentioned above in the thread but if you have good adhesion and seal it's not absolutely necessary. Once it's fully cured (the next day) it's ready to install by putting it over the sign can and then putting screws through it into the can.

If, when you get the old face off, you find that the vinyl comes off without leaving any ghosting then you can reuse the old face. So I wouldn't buy the supplies until you do that.

Yes, you leave the internals of the sign exposed while you are working on the face. It's best to get the new face on as soon as you can, but the lighting components are outdoor rated. In that respect, unless you keep the trim and acrylic on hand in your shop, I'd test the plastic for ghosting while it's still installed. If it doesn't have ghosting then proceed to take it down (or letter it in place if you like doing that on a ladder/scaffold) and take it back to the shop to letter, or if there is ghosting leave it in place and order your materials.

Scotchbrite

No comment
The only time I really hate leaving a face off is with neon just because it tends to be fragile. That's a pretty rare issue these days.

I would turn the sign off. No reason to have the lighting turn on making it stick out like a sore thumb at night.

I would consider using 2" wide trim cap for this size.

If it's 12' of the ground, that's going to be a little interesting off a ladder by yourself.

gnubler

I decided to pass on this job, Scotchbrite's comments above sealed the deal for me. It's a job for a shop with a bucket truck who has worked on signs like this before.

I appreciate all the feedback and am relieved I didn't jump into something I'm not equipped for.

Johnny Best

Scotcbrite’s comments were from experience not from passing on a job. Are you a rich kid where you can pass on work? Don’t you like a challenge to see if you an accomplish something new. Sometimes failure makes you want to strive to be better.