• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this a real font name?

Gary Welch

Premium Subscriber
I have a customer who was recently sold to a larger company. I can't get an example of the font, but they call it Clarendon BT Heavyiwht slant condensed. It is used on their school buses. can anyone decipher the name or have another name for it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Clarendon is an industry standard name for the font family that was first designed in 1845. Although the font is available from most type manufacturers, the "BT" is a tag used to indicate that a font is the Bitsteam version.

Heavyiwht slant condensed sounds like one of the condensed versions of the font that has been modified to add slant and extra boldness by an end user. There are Pro versions of various Clarendon weights and widths that contain lots of extra characters, but I have never encountered a slanted or italic version of the font from any manufacturer.

I have a customer who was recently sold to a larger company. I can't get an example of the font, but they call it Clarendon BT Heavyiwht slant condensed. It is used on their school buses. can anyone decipher the name or have another name for it?

Nevermind, Fred already gave a much more knowledgeable and thorough answer than I could.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have Clarendon BT. I just can't figure out the slant without a photo or something.

You may have Clarendon BT but what you haven't seen may be based on Clarendon Condensed. The slant, obviously, could be any number put in by the professional or amateur that created the modified version. You absolutely have to see it or at least have the client send you a photo or two taken from straight on.