• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this a standard ADA signage design.

SignProPlus-Chip

I have a client in need of another restroom sign that looks like the attached drawing...it's about .500" thick.

I also see this placard style sign a lot in this area, so I thought it may be a relatively standard ADA compliant type of sign.

Anyone have a clue?

Or can anyone recommend a source that will make a completely custom sign like this?

Thanks in advance ;)

Attachments

• womensbraille.jpg
    womensbraille.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 68

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Does not look familiar, but what is it made out of? Acrylic? photopolymer? what kind if braille, raster or molded in?

If it's acrylic, then should be easy to replicate.

A few things, the sign you are showing is not ADA compliant, you can only use san serif typefaces, and even though the braille might be placement, it's not showing the correct "woman" translation

Here is a Signs101 merchant member who can make it using the raster method

http://www.ccengraving.net/

AzGene

Nothing about the sign is compliant. Font and text are wrong and you need pictograms. That said at least 30% of the ADA I do is not compliant. Best I can do is advise of any problems so I'm covered and you're covered. Chances are if it's not new construction compliance will not be a problem.

2B

Nothing about the sign is compliant. Font and text are wrong and you need pictograms.

+1

.50" thickness WOW that is OVERKILL, even for our outdoor grade .25" is more than enough

advise the client and then have them sign off stating they know is not compliant if they have to have this

Rick

It is my understanding that pictograms are not required for restroom signs,
if they are used, they are required to be in a 6" field. The sign can be up to
4" thick before being non-compliant. 1/2" thick is not all that uncommon on a
custom sign, but I can't recall a stock - off the shelf sign that's 1/2"

SignProPlus-Chip

Guys, don't get hung up on the fonts I used, I just tossed anything in there...It has no bearing on my question or concerns about the style/shape of the sign face.

My question is whether or not that sign face shape is standard.

My concern is whether I would I have to make the face blank then send it to someone to do the letters and braille? Or is this a style of sign most ADA shops could produce?

AzGene

We can do it on 1/4 clear acrylic, using standard raised text colors. You would have to back paint. If you can go with 1/8 there are lots of colors available.

Rick

Guys, don't get hung up on the fonts I used, I just tossed anything in there...It has no bearing on my question or concerns about the style/shape of the sign face.

My question is whether or not that sign face shape is standard.

My concern is whether I would I have to make the face blank then send it to someone to do the letters and braille? Or is this a style of sign most ADA shops could produce?

There is no "standard" ADA sign shape unless it came from some company that made "stock" ADA signs, either off the shelf, or added the type on an of the shelf blank sign.

This shape in 1/2" is unfamiliar to me, there was an 1/8" sign that had that look, but this was some 15-20 years ago.

SignProPlus-Chip

There is no "standard" ADA sign shape unless it came from some company that made "stock" ADA signs, either off the shelf, or added the type on an of the shelf blank sign.

This shape in 1/2" is unfamiliar to me, there was an 1/8" sign that had that look, but this was some 15-20 years ago.

Thanks for the info...the client that needs one, well, the building is old, so it is entirely possible someone was producing this style as a standard item years ago.

I have to go on site to measure it and take some pics...maybe it's not as thick as they are saying either.