• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is this any good

o3TEZ

ok so i used to make signs and stickers stuff like that in high school and i liked it alot but after i graduated i didn't have any equipment so i could not do it any more. so i was hanging out with a buddy and he said "why didn't you ever do that after high school" and basically besides not having the equipment i had no reason so i was thinking of buying a plotter and seeing where it goes. my question is: does anyone use this machine or does anyone know if it is good for the price. it is a master 1000. here is a link to the site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-25-Vinyl-Cu...ryZ26245QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also here is anther i found that is pretty reasonable

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-36-Vinyl-si...ryZ26245QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also is the flexi program good and do you have to have internet to use it?
sorry for all questions

thanks for the replys in advance

SqueeGee

I don't know about the cutter, but have you ever considered applying for a position with an established sign company in your area? I'm sure that there is a business out there who could put your existing skills and ambitions to work. You would gain valuable experience while doing something that you know you enjoy without the risk.

Twelve years ago, I did what you are considering doing now(bought a machine without having worked in a sign business). It's a tough road. If I had it to do over, I would have worked for someone else first.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Ken

Good advice from Robbie..look at the list of equipment he has..quality stuff.
BUt we can't all start with a Cadillac.
A cheap cutter will help you to get your feet wet and re-acquaint yourself with the trade.
I've heard some bad things about Flexi - I don't use it. The design software is likely your biggest challenge at this point...Corel..Adobe..Freehand..Flexi.
I would try to focus on coming to grips with the 3 majors ( Corel, Photoshop, Illustrator..not neccessarily in that order..but that is the order I would choose.)
Welcome from BC!
Ken

o3TEZ

thanks for the replys again. i have used coreldraw if that is what corel is and i have adobe photoshop c3 and illistrator right now. so i am familiar with them but never heard of flexi before. i think the name of the program we used in high school was omega but im not sure if that is even it. it has been a bit since i was in high school. I know these have to be cheap plotters but i like ken said we don't all start out with a cadilliac. so has anyone heard of master before or own one. or can someone give me adivce on a good plotter to start out with that won't hurt my pockets to bad. im looking for a set up that comes with a basic set up. basically everything i need to do a basic sign or sticker. thanks for any advice you can give me.

Marlene

it cost a good eal of money for the type of equipment that you are looking for. It probably would be a better idea to start out working in an area sign shop to see if you have the talent needed make signs and decals as it does take more than just buying equipment. also you could get a good computer sign making program and outsource the maufacturing end of the sign and decals until you get going if you want to try it on your own.

thesignexpert

yardsignswork

I personally have a plotter like that one. I paid a little more for it. I've been using it for two years now without problems. It definately is not the best plotter, but for banners, magnets stuff like that, it does just fine.

Honestly, I have been waiting for it to die for a year now and it just keeps going.

If you are like me, and refuse to work for someone else (It's the hard road) think of a cheap plotter as a stepping stone to getting a better one. You can do a few thousand dollars worth of jobs and no one would be the wiser. Good luck from a newbie myself.

o3TEZ

i thank everyone for the advice it is really helping. i would like to work for a company but don't know how much you start out at and i need to make at least what i make now and that is 13 an hour. i really want to do this as a hobby that can make me some extra cash as well. but who knows. also is pcut any good of a plotter? it is made by uscutters. also what is some good software to start out with? thanks again and i kinda feel like a pest asking so many questions. sorry

OneUpTenn

My husband and I owned a landscaping/irrigation business for about 10 years and we sold it but we went with the whole philosophy of starting with small equipment and working up from there. BAD idea!!!

We were constantly expanding and losing money every time we had to upgrade to a bigger machine and nicer tools. Face it in the world today anything of value loses money the second you purchase it.

IMHO, if you are going to do this as "more than a hobby" and want to make a living then start with good equipment.

Now you take this to the extreme and buy the Cadillac of machines and go under or you could start with a Nissan.

OldPaint

i agee with one up. i am a mechanical guy. got tools, tractor, chain saw, hand saw, radial arm saw,.....everything i buy i buy with NAME BRAND FOR LONGEVITY.
CRAFTSMAN, NEW BRITIAN,SNAP-ON, MAC hand tools......STHIL 023
CHAIN SAW......wont need another in my lifetime.
KUBOTA b5200, diesel 48" belly mower/tractor/boxblade/rake. last one ill buy.
i have had nothing but ROLANDS.... was my 1st plotter, i sold it still workin , only got newer cause of good deals.
anddddddd been ownin VOLVOS since the 80's for the ssme reason.

rcboats1

Where exactly are you? Granite where? Maybe someone can help you out with a "internship", even if it is part time so you can keep your current job until you make a decision.

VinylCraft

Save your $$ I wouldn't even think of starting out them any of them.
Try $4,000 you will be happy you did. Don't just get in the ring, if you don't know how to box.

o3TEZ

granite city Illinois. about 5 min away from St. Louis. i am a full time manager at a reasuant now and im married. i have very little time to do much of anything after you add work,wife,cleaning and taking care of house and yard so i can't do an intership. would be nice. i took a look at the signexpert and it helped. also does anyone own a procut plotter? if so how do you like them? thanks again.

WCVSigns

It looks similar to the master 380p which is a lowend plotter for professional sign shops but an OK plotter if your just doing the basic. As far as the flexi I believe it is the starter series and ya it works fine but if you get serious you will need to upgrade both your plotter and software. Look for the summa plotters they make quality plotters. Theres also a program out there I believe its called signgo, it has a full functioning demo you can use for 30 days I think. Try that out its only $350.00
Hope this helps

GoodPeopleFlags

granite city Illinois. about 5 min away from St. Louis. i am a full time manager at a reasuant now and im married. i have very little time to do much of anything after you add work,wife,cleaning and taking care of house and yard so i can't do an intership. would be nice. i took a look at the signexpert and it helped. also does anyone own a procut plotter? if so how do you like them? thanks again.

So how are you going to fit in time to learn the software/hardware and make "basic signs and stickers" like you said you want to do? There's more to it than just buying a plotter and plugging it in. It sounds like you at least have the basic concept down but there's still a big learning curve and that takes time.

cOrKinSA

I bought a 380p master cutter from a friend that thought it was as easy as buying a Plotter to get his business started. It runs good but here are some of it's downfalls:
  • It has the tendency to scratch the vinyl as it moves around from place to place from time to time.
  • Very few times it will loose track of itself and not cut a line of text straight leaving an obvious misalignment. I only noticed it with text converted to outlines.
  • It has the gentle sound of a Food Processor. You will not hear your radio,TV, or person talking to you.
I keep it because it does more then its share of work next to the big boys beside it and because I always want a backup if something were to happen down the road. Just remember if you order it make sure you order a longer peripheral connection. The one that came with the plotter is somewhere around 8ft and the only place that has the one you can use is them.

Everyone is telling you from experience to go work for a Sign Shop because there are so many tricks to this trade and so much advice that you need to know. It's only for your benefit because it takes just one screw up to undo everything you work so hard to create. Oh and go here and download the "Free ProfitWatch Software" to get an idea on where you should be paying yourself so you don't sell yourself short. It's a start.
Good luck &
:beer Cheers!

o3TEZ

once again thank you everyone for your replys they are great advice. as to the thing with my time. i may have came off where i have no time. i only work my reastuant job 4 days a week and im on salary. i have time but i would rather not work two jobs. i plan to learn the software and make grapix and decals for family and friends and if the occasion comes up and i was up to the job at the time i could make some money. i know there is alot to learn and i have not done any of this stuff in six years and some stuff has changed but i catch on quick on most things and i hope i will on this too.

John Gross

First of all before I would go into the sign business I would learn how to spell. You may be doing a lot of the same signs twice.