• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this crossing the line?

threeputt

Was asked to create a 4'x8 sign by a friend at a Christmas party the other day. His kids have a business and he wants to make a gift of it to them this holiday.

He handed me a card that they use and said it should look like that.

I took a bit of artisitic license and improved it significantly (but keeping essential elements and colors, etc.) and emailed for his approval. No go. He says they have their vehicle already lettered up and cards made, etc. and the 4'x8 has got to look like that exactly.

Well....it's not very good art. But here's the rub. It uses a font that I finally located (after some amount of searching on the web) that is "for personal use only". I guess it's a font that's out there, but not for commercial use.

I find a lot of people doing there own artwork for their cards etc, using these kinds of free fonts. Is it okay for a sign shop to also use them if he's trying to replicate what the client already is using?

Ken Sankey

Good question, another thing is did you have an opportunity to price the vehicles and cards? Too bad you weren't consulted sooner.

threeputt

No I didn't have a chance to look at the other jobs. These kids don't live in my area, so I imagine they went to their local sign guy.

Dad (my friend) is surprising them with this sign. Probably throw it in his pickup on Christmas morning and drive down to see them.

Mosh

If it is not in your area and you don't have to look at it just make it and send it on it's way.

Mosh

Nothing "close" that you could use. Most people will not notice a little change....
Post it up so we can see.

threeputt

Ok here it is. I added the border (it had none) and the little reverse at the bottom and the oval.

Other than that, I'm showing the business card converted to a 4x8.

Attachments

• 4x8 sign barking barnyard.jpg
    4x8 sign barking barnyard.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
It gives you all the information of the font creator. His name, company and email address. Couldn't you shoot him an email? I'd bet you could work something out so you could use it and your conscience would be clear. Maybe paypal him $20 or something.

WildWestDesigns

Mesquite font is hideous!

I actually like it. To each there own.

Typically they usually have a place to donate or buy a license for commercial purposes. I don't know what site you were looking at to find the name of the particular font. The places that I go, you can usually either donate or buy the license.

Never hurts to try.